The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Bit of mixed emotions really. Absolutely hate cheating divers in football, regardless of whether they are playing for the team I'm supporting. There was way to much of it tonight, but in the other hand, totally ecstatic we won

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
it was clear as day and it’s embarrassing that VAR didnt overrule it

Why Phil? It wasn’t a penalty, agreed, but neither was it a clear and obvious error by the on-field referee.

In the Premier League VAR would have dithered for five minutes, viewed it from 35 different angles and then made a dog’s dinner of the decision.

The VAR during this tournament has been a breath of fresh air. Swift, consistent and only intervened when necessary. The referee got that one wrong, I agree. But VAR was correctly applied.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why Phil? It wasn’t a penalty, agreed, but neither was it a clear and obvious error by the on-field referee.

In the Premier League VAR would have dithered for five minutes, viewed it from 35 different angles and then made a dog’s dinner of the decision.

The VAR during this tournament has been a breath of fresh air. Swift, consistent and only intervened when necessary. The referee got that one wrong, I agree. But VAR was correctly applied.

It’s clear and obvious there was no contact on Sterling - you can see that within 19 seconds and two angles - so he gave a penalty when Sterling wasn’t touched , it’s that not a clear and obvious error ?‍♂️

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I have great difficulty understanding how a penalty awarded for a dive following minimal or nil contact can be anything other than a clear and obvious error.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It could easily have been given for the second contact.

England are in a final FFS. Stop moaning and enjoy it.

If I'm not happy about it I'll moan. There's no compulsion to enjoy a flawed victory, nor are you in a position to tell me what I will and won't enjoy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I'm not happy about it I'll moan. There's no compulsion to enjoy a flawed victory, nor are you in a position to tell me what I will and won't enjoy.

Did you celebrate any of Chelsea's success after buying the league rather than winning through previous success?

Bit of a flawed view

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I did say at 1-1 that England would score ? As it happens I don't think the penalty was an obvious error, it seems quite possible that the player deemed to have tripped Sterling may actually have knocked him, so the penalty might not have been awarded for a trip. If it was a Scottish player going down I wouldn‘t be complaining about being awarded a penalty or using the resulting goal to detract from a victory. Accept it...England won...? ??????????????