The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Plucky old England who always played the game the right way got nowhere - the game has changed and we're adapting to it. Too many heartbreaks in the past to worry about a dodgy pen, we made our own luck and benefited from it!

I was thinking this last night whilst sat watching. In days gone by, we would often get undone by teams diving and rolling all over the place feigning injury. I always hated it. Now we do the same, it's playing the game at the same level as everyone else now and has seen us through to the final. I still hate it, it leaves a bitter taste at best, but, we're in the final. I'm sure I'll get over it :sneaky:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sterling’s penalty; some say there was no contact. I saw the same footage as everyone. I believe there was contact, though minimal, and Sterling made the most of it and started to go down. At the point, the second defender certainly did make contact.

I wonder what facilities VAR has? Freeze frame? Slo-mo? Magnify part of the screen? Bearing in mind what cricket has when the third umpire is called upon, I expect it has. I thought the ref got it right in real time, and was ably supported by VAR.

If England had taken half the decent chances they created they’d have been out of sight long before the final whistle. The concerns me. Chances against Italy will be rare, and Italy’s ability on the ball will be the biggest question asked of the team for a long time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The morning after the night before???????

Thought it was a good game, Denmark deserved the lead, they’d done their homework and knew exactly how England like to play from the back, thankfully the equaliser came soon after, which I think stopped them growing in belief, and gave us the upperhand.

2nd half only had 1 team in it and thought we did enough to win it in 90 minutes.

Welcome to the world of watching Pickford on a regular basis, although I think Damsgaard should be given a bit more credit for the quality of the strike.

Soft penalty, and any player in that position for any team at any level would of gone down and expected a penalty.

There was contact, as seen below.

As for the Final, anything can happen, we’ve seen it time and time again over the yesrs the form book or team’s failing to turn up or stepping up. Nothing to fear, more than capable of beating Italy, hopefully be a great game, ending with Kane lifting the trophy.

I wonder how many see that clip and change there mind about it not being a penalty. For me the clip should carry on for another couple of seconds. The player that catches him then checks his stride and throws his hands in the air. He knows it is a soft one. It’s a penalty all day long. Ave seen Walker do that enough times playing for City to convince me.

That said, there’s a few feeling sorry for Grealish being taken off. Southgate had to change it. Denmark had put on another forward and Southgate countered with Trippier going on. Although at times it looked a bit like England v Croatia in the World Cup re defending. It had to be done. Another tough and correct call by Southgate.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sterling’s penalty; some say there was no contact. I saw the same footage as everyone. I believe there was contact, though minimal, and Sterling made the most of it and started to go down. At the point, the second defender certainly did make contact.

I wonder what facilities VAR has? Freeze frame? Slo-mo? Magnify part of the screen? Bearing in mind what cricket has when the third umpire is called upon, I expect it has. I thought the ref got it right in real time, and was ably supported by VAR.

If England had taken half the decent chances they created they’d have been out of sight long before the final whistle. The concerns me. Chances against Italy will be rare, and Italy’s ability on the ball will be the biggest question asked of the team for a long time.

Must be noted that var only gets involved in a clear error ...with the contact it's understandable why the pen was given so was always going to stand

Tashyboy

Visit site
I don’t think for one minute they’d thought they’d won the whole thing, it was more relief for finally getting over the hoodoo of constant “nearly men” since 1966, every generation since has been compared to that and failed.

Italy celebrated with their fans the night before and rightly so. I doubt you’ll find one English supporter who thinks last night was anymore than a huge celebration of finally reaching another final.

I think getting to the final is a massive monkey off the back of the England players ? and it showed.

I did mention at the start of the tournament when England were uninspiring that the country needed a lift with Covid etc. I thought the bit before the game where it was mentioned in the build up was quite apt. I wonder how long it is before the pm claims he picked the team.
Should England win, could well be a knighthood for Southgate.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Must be noted that var only gets involved in a clear error ...with the contact it's understandable why the pen was given so was always going to stand

Cannot remember who the referee was who ITV kept going to last night but I liked it. We have our views as armchair fans but I enjoyed the input from the ref from a Law point of view.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder how many see that clip and change there mind about it not being a penalty. For me the clip should carry on for another couple of seconds. The player that catches him then checks his stride and throws his hands in the air. He knows it is a soft one. It’s a penalty all day long. Ave seen Walker do that enough times playing for City to convince me.

That said, there’s a few feeling sorry for Grealish being taken off. Southgate had to change it. Denmark had put on another forward and Southgate countered with Trippier going on. Although at times it looked a bit like England v Croatia in the World Cup re defending. It had to be done. Another tough and correct call by Southgate.
I'd disagree with the Grealish call, although we won so hey ho, classic bar room chat ?. Taking him off meant we conceded possession, both literally and psychologically. 5 at the back sucked the defence and midfield towards our goal line and created unnecessary pressure. Grealish keeps hold of the ball, would have stretched a tired Danish team, gains fouls that break up the play, eats time etc. With him we could have scored a 3rd goal, held possession in the way that we did for the last 2 minutes. He and foden could have kept it between them for 15 minutes ?.

It was a classic Southgate decision. But hey, we won ?‍♂️, so this is academic.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'd disagree with the Grealish call, although we won so hey ho, classic bar room chat ?. Taking him off meant we conceded possession, both literally and psychologically. 5 at the back sucked the defence and midfield towards our goal line and created unnecessary pressure. Grealish keeps hold of the ball, would have stretched a tired Danish team, gains fouls that break up the play, eats time etc. With him we could have scored a 3rd goal, held possession in the way that we did for the last 2 minutes. He and foden could have kept it between them for 15 minutes ?.

I think one thing that has not been mentioned is the fitness of the England players. Denmark looked absolutely knackered. they used all there subs and were still struggling. To see Walker and others bombing forward so late in the game was unreal.

RichA

Visit site
To be fair with the amount of time he has lived in this country we could have tried to call him up no? But back then he wasn't rated..city let him go in favour of hart. He has matured into a brilliant keeper
I heard on the radio that the FA approached him when he was a youngster. He was only ever interested in playing for Denmark.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Totally agree. Let other teams worry about England. Changing to accommodate them left Sterling and Kane struggling for scraps.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm shattered this morning! For me it wasn't a dirty win or dirty penalty or blatant dive. The second defender's hip bump was enough for it to be given for me.

I think Sterling has been amazing this whole tournament and an easy target for criticism. His end product is by no means great BUT his running into space and speed causes havoc in defences. He was still going strong until the final whistle - amazing stamina and gave us an out ball.

If we're talking about winning dirty then what the hell were the Danes trying to do every time we built up a head of steam and had them under the cosh? Talk about "tactical injuries" and cleverly make them a head injury so the ref has to stop the game and allow treatment. Never bad enough to mean the player leaves the pitch though and adhere to the so called "concussion charter"!

If, for once, we got through a knockout game with a decision that could have gone either way...I say about bloody time!

D

Deleted member 15344

I have great difficulty understanding how a penalty awarded for a dive following minimal or nil contact can be anything other than a clear and obvious error.
I believe the player himself said there was no touch on him or didn’t feel one so he went down on his own choice so as you say - clear and obvious , people searching for stills from angles to try and justify it just makes it worse , at least some ( including the player ) put their hands up and state it what it is

England have been on the end of things like it in the past - Hand of God being the clear one - so now they have their own moment

https://www.sportbible.com/australi...html?source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

This isn’t great as well

Add in this as well

79D4A38B-B3A9-4CC0-A46F-BD4DA3B92367.jpeg

Ref should have stopped the game

Certainly all going the way of the host nation

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Did you celebrate any of Chelsea's success after buying the league rather than winning through previous success?

Bit of a flawed view

Sorry I’m struggling to see the connection ?‍♂️

What Chelsea did when Abramovich arrived was fine within the laws of the game - there is no correlation between that and a player diving

Now if you had mentioned Drogba and his dives at times you would have had a point but then you would soon realise that Rich is as critical of his own players diving as he is with others including Drogba

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe the player himself said there was no touch on him or didn’t feel one so he went down on his own choice so as you say - clear and obvious , people searching for stills from angles to try and justify it just makes it worse , at least some ( including the player ) put their hands up and state it what it is

England have been on the end of things like it in the past - Hand of God being the clear one - so now they have their own moment
Really, I guess what you believe is wrong?

Actual quote from his interview after the game.

Asked if it was a ‘definite’ penalty, Sterling told ITV: ‘Yeah, I went into the box, he stuck he right leg out and he touched my legs to its a clear penalty.’

As for we have our own moment. :rolleyes:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

https://www.sportbible.com/australi...html?source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

This isn’t great as well

You believe or did you actually hear the player say it. I saw the post match interview, and he said no such thing. Making things up again Phil to embellish your point?

D

Deleted member 16999

You believe or did you actually hear the player say it. I saw the post match interview, and he said no such thing. Making things up again Phil to embellish your point?
Almost as if he wanted them to lose.?‍♂️