The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I did say at 1-1 that England would score ? As it happens I don't think the penalty was an obvious error, it seems quite possible that the player deemed to have tripped Sterling may actually have knocked him, so the penalty might not have been awarded for a trip. If it was a Scottish player going down I wouldn‘t be complaining about being awarded a penalty or using the resulting goal to detract from a victory. Accept it...England won...? ??????????????

And there you have it.

Thread locked ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s clear and obvious there was no contact on Sterling - you can see that within 19 seconds and two angles - so he gave a penalty when Sterling wasn’t touched , it’s that not a clear and obvious error ?‍♂️

We’ll have to agree to disagree! It’s a clear and obvious error if there’s no contact whatsoever but there was. Not enough to bring Sterling down, but equally enough to mean the error wasn’t clear and obvious.

I’d be unhappy if that penalty had gone the other way but the debate here is whether VAR was correctly applied, not whether the penalty decision was correct. For me VAR was spot on. The referee wrong, but VAR spot on.

RichA

Visit site
Had to rush off so I didn't see the super slow motion footage, but I thought both defenders clipped him.
Denmark were ok but England were better and deserved to win.
I've watched every major tournament since 78 and don't remember any team that's got to a final playing only beatiful, uncynical football. Those types of team normally go out in the semis or quarter finals.
Kane's constant looking for free kicks bothers me more than anything Sterling does. I'm just ecstatic that we've reached the final.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to rush off so I didn't see the super slow motion footage, but I thought both defenders clipped him.
Denmark were ok but England were better and deserved to win.
I've watched every major tournament since 78 and don't remember any team that's got to a final playing only beatiful, uncynical football. Those types of team normally go out in the semis or quarter finals.
Kane's constant looking for free kicks bothers me more than anything Sterling does. I'm just ecstatic that we've reached the final.

Very excited for Sunday , apart from one fa cup final (that we lost) I've never been involved in a major final as a fan. (Play off finals excluded lol)

Great bit of history just wish the daughter was a bit older to enjoy it with me. She won't be able to stay up will fall asleep and would get bored lol

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought Sterling had a good game except for his finishing again.
But less effective on the right he seems better coming inside from the left.
Thought the ref made some crucial mistakes .
Foul for their goal was very soft, never a pen for me.
But we dug it out and not the best game in the world but we won.
Kane is to deep again and we had no presence in the box most of the night.
Sitting back in last 15 mins when they only had 10 men seemed very strange decision imo.
But we won so well done GS.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Did you celebrate any of Chelsea's success after buying the league rather than winning through previous success?

Bit of a flawed view
Diving is cheating.

Owners injecting cash has been part of football long before the Roman came to London.

If you were gonna use any Chelsea analogy, I'd have at least gone with them hoovering up youth stars as they were at least charged and therefor found to have done something wrong. ..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Diving is cheating.

Owners injecting cash has been part of football long before the Roman came to London.

If you were gonna use any Chelsea analogy, I'd have at least gone with them hoovering up youth stars as they were at least charged and therefor found to have done something wrong. ..

Ok. Drogba. One of the biggest dives and cheats to ever grace the English game

Chelsea hero

Anyways point is England are through to our first final at a major tournament in 55 years

Should be nothing but positive vibes

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ok. Drogba. One of the biggest dives and cheats to ever grace the English game

Chelsea hero

Anyways point is England are through to our first final at a major tournament in 55 years

Should be nothing but positive vibes
Need to try again I'm afraid.

Your point was made against Rich's opinion, not all Chelsea fans and Rich has on multiple occasions slagged off his own players.

I don't recall people saying they're disappointed with wining either.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One goal conceded in nine and a half hours of football and what a shot it was!
That's what it takes to have even a chance of beating this team. The teamwork and effort put in was outstanding again.

Please forgive me for being very biased, but Kasper would have had little difficulty saving a shot from that range. Just wish he was English.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pleased they got through that was a physical game, which we knew it would be. Sterling performed and really showed us what he can do ?.
I am sorry but my view on the penalty might differ, you just cannot man handle a player in the box.
KS was immense in the Denmark goal, but some of the physical blocking deserved more cards and the long down time for injuries was unacceptable..
But well done England!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One goal conceded in nine and a half hours of football and what a shot it was!
That's what it takes to have even a chance of beating this team. The teamwork and effort put in was outstanding again.

Please forgive me for being very biased, but Kasper would have had little difficulty saving a shot from that range. Just wish he was English.

To be fair with the amount of time he has lived in this country we could have tried to call him up no? But back then he wasn't rated..city let him go in favour of hart. He has matured into a brilliant keeper

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Reasonable game, a bit scrappy in places, but we got the required result. Wasn't as entertaining as the previous nights semi, but that was a hard act to follow.
I too was surprised Pickford didn't make a better job of the free kick, and as an ex-goalkeeper he worries me sometimes. I'm not particularly keen on how he punches at balls he could quite easily catch. But hey-ho.
Was it a penalty? I don't think so. But there have been plenty of dodgy ones given over the years so just another to add to the tally I suppose.
I'd love to see England win on Sunday if only to shut the constant references to 1966 up.
But I think they are going to have to seriously raise their game against the Italians.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reasonable game, a bit scrappy in places, but we got the required result. Wasn't as entertaining as the previous nights semi, but that was a hard act to follow.
I too was surprised Pickford didn't make a better job of the free kick, and as an ex-goalkeeper he worries me sometimes. I'm not particularly keen on how he punches at balls he could quite easily catch. But hey-ho.
Was it a penalty? I don't think so. But there have been plenty of dodgy ones given over the years so just another to add to the tally I suppose.
I'd love to see England win on Sunday if only to shut the constant references to 1966 up.
But I think they are going to have to seriously raise their game against the Italians.

They were talking about new balls for.the semis and final which move about more...we have had this issue since about 2014 I think when they had balls for one world cup that were all over the place making it harder to catch

Nobody really mentions the pen that was pretty strong on Kane .. got clattered

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sometimes when you're not playing well in a game you need the rub of the green and you have to win ugly.

Yes, Mount was ineffective , Pickford was ropey, Southgate's extra time subs should have been made after 70 minutes and Kane should have got in the box more but we got over the line.

Taking the positives, I thought Kyle Walker was immense, they shut Shaw down but he still looked dangerous on the overlap and sterling / saka looked very threatening. Southgate needs to get his tactics spot on Sunday and you never know.......

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Wow. How much did the team celebrate on the pitch afterwards? It’s like they had won the whole thing? Still a fairly big obstacle to overcome on Sunday. Just show the clip of them singing and dancing to sweet Caroline to the Italians for a bit of motivation.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wow. How much did the team celebrate on the pitch afterwards? It’s like they had won the whole thing? Still a fairly big obstacle to overcome on Sunday. Just show the clip of them singing and dancing to sweet Caroline to the Italians for a bit of motivation.

I drew England out in the works sweep. Got to be honest, when I first saw who I'd drawn I wanted to slash my wrists.............whatever happens on Sunday I'm going to win a tenner. I might, (might), get lucky and win a £50.00 note!!

D

Deleted member 16999

The morning after the night before???????

Thought it was a good game, Denmark deserved the lead, they’d done their homework and knew exactly how England like to play from the back, thankfully the equaliser came soon after, which I think stopped them growing in belief, and gave us the upperhand.

2nd half only had 1 team in it and thought we did enough to win it in 90 minutes.

Welcome to the world of watching Pickford on a regular basis, although I think Damsgaard should be given a bit more credit for the quality of the strike.

Soft penalty, and any player in that position for any team at any level would of gone down and expected a penalty.

There was contact, as seen below.

As for the Final, anything can happen, we’ve seen it time and time again over the yesrs the form book or team’s failing to turn up or stepping up. Nothing to fear, more than capable of beating Italy, hopefully be a great game, ending with Kane lifting the trophy.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t think for one minute they’d thought they’d won the whole thing, it was more relief for finally getting over the hoodoo of constant “nearly men” since 1966, every generation since has been compared to that and failed.

Italy celebrated with their fans the night before and rightly so. I doubt you’ll find one English supporter who thinks last night was anymore than a huge celebration of finally reaching another final.