The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too never played rugby, only football and, in the summer, cricket.

Certainly did not have an unblemished disciplinary record at football and was always very committed.

However, one thing I never did was argue with refs.

What's the point? He's never going to change his decision.

Inwardly I might curse him but on the outside I always showed respect.

To me the behaviour often shown nowadays towards officials is reminiscent of a bunch of spoiled toddlers.

Grow up and get on with the game!
I can only speak for myself and my teammates here, but often when you have a reaction in the heat of the moment, you do know that he's not going to change his mind, but that's not what you're looking for - you just need an explanation for how he could have seen something so polar opposite to what you've seen. That's why I've said the refs who do explain themselves usually dispel those emotions quickly, because once they've explained their point of view all you can do is accept it and move on. If they refuse to engage and tell you to get lost, all it does is wind players up, and often the game gets out of hand as a result, because you have a bunch of wound up players going at each other then.

Football is 11 men pretending they're hurt, rugby is 13 men pretending they're not. (y)
Except when they're popping blood capsules in their mouths of course. :)

D

Deleted member 1740

Amazon did say coady should have been booked

But your correct the BBC never talk about it

It was a general point, not just yesterday.

If it was Johnny foreigner it'd be covered on every show with 10 different angles in slo-mo with every man and his dog having a go.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a general point, not just yesterday.

If it was Johnny foreigner it'd be covered on every show with 10 different angles in slo-mo with every man and his dog having a go.
20201207_145214.jpg

Funny he said that before hand but they clearly don't talk about it as much

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never heard of a football player bringing a blood capsule onto the pitch to cheat?
The chat was not about cheating or thuggery, it was about how sports deal with the relationship between players and refs. Other sports have their own issues but on this football is near the bottom.

D

Deleted member 18588

I can only speak for myself and my teammates here, but often when you have a reaction in the heat of the moment, you do know that he's not going to change his mind, but that's not what you're looking for - you just need an explanation for how he could have seen something so polar opposite to what you've seen. That's why I've said the refs who do explain themselves usually dispel those emotions quickly, because once they've explained their point of view all you can do is accept it and move on. If they refuse to engage and tell you to get lost, all it does is wind players up, and often the game gets out of hand as a result, because you have a bunch of wound up players going at each other then.

Yeah! And the moment the ref provides details of the reason for his decision the players will just respectfully accept that and move on.

Do me a favour! The arguing and ranting would continue until the ref starts dishing out cards or walks away.

If he does the former he is accused of losing control and in the event of the latter he apparently doesn't understand the game and players.

I don't understand why players, whether in the Premier League or the Parks League, can't just accept that officials like players sometimes make mistakes.

D

Deleted member 18588

Just an observation but I did notice an awful lot of comment on social media and MSM about the officials at the London Stadium on Saturday and the effect their actions may have had on the result.

Hardly seen anything about the highly paid striker who went through on goal, rounded the keeper and promptly fell on his arse.

Now that really did affect the result!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't understand Henderson, or any other player, screaming at the ref for giving a penalty. With VAR they are going to look at the decision and check it. If it is a penalty then you look an idiot for wrongly screaming at the ref for giving a correct decision. If it isn't a penalty it will be overturned on review and then you look an idiot for screaming at the ref unnecessarily.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't understand Henderson, or any other player, screaming at the ref for giving a penalty. With VAR they are going to look at the decision and check it. If it is a penalty then you look an idiot for wrongly screaming at the ref for giving a correct decision. If it isn't a penalty it will be overturned on review and then you look an idiot for screaming at the ref unnecessarily.

I started this whole debate and tbh it was more to do with the current climate.. we told to give people space but let's see the captain of Liverpool spraying the ref with all his germs by shouting less than 2 foot away

Hardly a good example

D

Deleted member 1740

Let's be honest its in the heat of the moment and Henderson and others are certain there was no foul. It was a natural reaction, hardly scenes of Keane and Stam.

D

Deleted member 16999

But it was proved the Ref was wrong and Coady cheated, but because it was a VAR review Coady doesn’t receive a Yellow Card for diving.

Maybe Henderson knew that and was taking his frustration out on the one who got it wrong and couldn’t give Coady a card.?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah! And the moment the ref provides details of the reason for his decision the players will just respectfully accept that and move on.

Do me a favour! The arguing and ranting would continue until the ref starts dishing out cards or walks away.

If he does the former he is accused of losing control and in the event of the latter he apparently doesn't understand the game and players.

I don't understand why players, whether in the Premier League or the Parks League, can't just accept that officials like players sometimes make mistakes.

Just an observation but I did notice an awful lot of comment on social media and MSM about the officials at the London Stadium on Saturday and the effect their actions may have had on the result.

Hardly seen anything about the highly paid striker who went through on goal, rounded the keeper and promptly fell on his arse.

Now that really did affect the result!

No excuse for parks leagues etc, but maybe the way money has taken over the game, some of these decisions could in effect cost Clubs or players millions. Not agreeing with that by the way.

In answer to your 2nd point, it is very rare at the moment the media will highlight an error like that when there is more fuss to be made about VAR.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As @pauldj42 suggested earlier though, it is apples and oranges because you can't change 100+ years of history of the two sports - that's the reason they are where they are.

At my level we do actually have sinbins for abusing the referee. Obviously you get that for swearing at him, abusive conduct, and quite rightly of course. But disagreeing with a decision doesn't qualify, so long as you're not calling him every name under the sun. With a good ref you can have that discussion without it getting out of hand. I'm not sure if the plan was to trial the sinbin at non-league in order to eventually introduce it to pro level, or whether it was always going to be non-league only just to help keep more referees in the game.

I haven't seen the Henderson thing, I've just been talking on a general level from my own experience. If he was shouting abuse at the ref that obviously qualifies as disrespect and I'd expect to see a punishment. And it's the type of thing you would get a sinbin for in my league as I mentioned. I was just saying that instinctively disagreeing with a decision and questioning it isn't 'disrespecting' the referee, you should be able to have that conversation if you're not abusive.

I agree the captain's role should be to calm his teammates down and speak to the ref in a calm, concise way rather than screaming at him. Unfortunately with a lot of clubs the captains seem to be most fiery members of the team sometimes - going back to the days of Roy Keane, Steven Gerrard etc. You remember recently when Maguire was overheard trying to calm Rashford down over a decision and the media/Utd fans were up in arms that their captain wasn't angrily debating the decision!
If you can’t change 100+ years of history in a sport how come we have ended up with VAR?
Never had it 100 yrs ago.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing is though, I remember playing rugby at school in the 70’s and everything was Sir when speaking to the ref/Sir. But again back in the 70’s when I played football it was ref and not Sir. The history when it comes to respect of referees in both sports are “ polar opposites”.
It’s a culture thing.
Calling a ref Sir was mainly because he was a teacher who just refereed .
Maybe we need a sin bin in footy they need to do something .
But they don’t have the will, as they have proved many times before.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you can’t change 100+ years of history in a sport how come we have ended up with VAR?
Never had it 100 yrs ago.

It’s not been 100 years of players acting like spoilt children - it’s crept into the game when the Premiership started and money became such a big say in the game.

It won’t change unfortunately and will prob ultimately get wory