The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Another scandalous use of VAR. It was a foul but Walker-Peters absolutely launched himself into the box, I mean he was flying. Why are they changing it to a penalty when it wasn't clear and obvious? That phrase redundant again. The foul was outside the box.

As much as I agree he launched himself.
The difference between a penalty or free kick is imo substantial enough that VAR should get involved because giving one or the other incorrectly would be an obvious error.

That being said. They've had a shocker. He did get touched whilst in the box too, and they mentioned the rule about contact continuing in the box. But I've not heard that rule.

D

Deleted member 1740

Another scandalous use of VAR. It was a foul but Walker-Peters absolutely launched himself into the box, I mean he was flying. Why are they changing it to a penalty when it wasn't clear and obvious? That phrase redundant again. The foul was outside the box.

Don't worry he's English, it'll get swept under the carpet.

How many times have we seen fouls dragged back to where they started?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or....

...the contact *that was the foul* was inside the box. Not sure why all the fuss. I'd be having a pop at March for being out of position and bringing the man down.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Even for the Brighton pen?

The change of handball rule is pathetic, there was no intent or advantage gained For that pen.

Like I said, it evens itself out.... ;)

Not sure VAR had anything to do with their penalty tbf fella.

VAR obv check it. But ref gave it. That's down to the rules. Not VAR.

D

Deleted member 1740

I woukdnt put his actions in the same category as as others recently discussed. He's made the most of it yes, but it's a clear foul.

Neither would I but the point, a general one, stands.

I thought it was a free kick, I can't remember a pen ever being given for where the foul ended up, it was always dragged back.

Brighton got Lucky last week, unlucky this week ?‍♂️

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Neither would I but the point, a general one, stands.

I thought it was a free kick, I can't remember a pen ever being given for where the foul ended up, it was always dragged back.

Brighton got Lucky last week, unlucky this week ?‍♂️

I think the only defence for our pen. Or the one that will be peddled is what Piece has suggested. They'll argue that the initial foul was the push on contact that put him off balance, but he was riding the tackle and then caught again (which he is) when he's in the box.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the only defence for our pen. Or the one that will be peddled is what Piece has suggested. They'll argue that the initial foul was the push on contact that put him off balance, but he was riding the tackle and then caught again (which he is) when he's in the box.

why for the last 20 or 30 years have they always asked where the first foul/contact is then?

sorry but thats garbage imho

4LEX

Visit site
Pogba's agent starting at getting him away from Old Trafford in January. Hardly ideal timing with a massive CL game coming up

https://www.skysports.com/football/...summer-transfer-window-says-agent-mino-raiola

Mourinho was right about him. A toxic virus.

He doesn't start in Utd's strongest side these days. Bruno has shown what a true world class attacking midfielder is. Quality, workrate and leadership. No debate about him needing two DM's to get the best from him, he does it all and gets back to help out.

Woodward made a bad call not selling Pogba in 2018 when he could've made a profit and 2019 when it become even clearer what a bad influence he was becoming. Due to his contract situation, sky high wages, Covid affected market and woeful form over a few years, no one would pay than £40 tops for him. A near £50m loss and £60m in wages over 4 years......what a way to run a club.

D

Deleted member 1740

If that's a pen now, they've set the bar and can't pull anymore of those back in future.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
why for the last 20 or 30 years have they always asked where the first foul/contact is then?

sorry but thats garbage imho
I'm not saying it's a good defence. Im saying it's the cop out they may use.

Although for the last 30 years they haven't had VAR.

For the record. I think it was a free kick, but what if VAR shows a player get fouled but quite clearly stil have control (advantage) and then fouled again. You could easily arguw for a penalty, something you could t have done without VAR.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or....

...the contact *that was the foul* was inside the box. Not sure why all the fuss. I'd be having a pop at March for being out of position and bringing the man down.
The foul was outside the box. Then KWP launches himself through the air, and maybe makes minor contact with March's leg again in mid-air, but that is so debateable that it can't be a clear and obvious error enough to make it a penalty. No chance. Free kick outside was the right decision.

The other penalty was stonewall though. Ward-Prowse's hand is right up in the sky for absolutely no reason and he brings the ball down with it. Easy one that was.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If that's a pen now, they've set the bar and can't pull anymore of those back in future.

Like I say, it depends if they rule there were two fouls or a continuation of one.

As for them not pulling one back I the future. Why not? It's not like they're consistent atm...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like I say, it depends if they rule there were two fouls or a continuation of one.

As for them not pulling one back I the future. Why not? It's not like they're consistent atm...

so youre turning down the first foul and waiting till you get one where you want under VAR ? lol yeah that seems fair

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if you’re willing to accept bad decisions? Surely we should be applauding the use of VAR in this.

In a situation like this the FA should be able to step in and give Coady a retrospective yellow card.
Yes I agree VAR advised the ref of a problem.
Ultimately it was the ref who made the final decision, so I can’t see why he can’t book him for diving.
Totally agree but they don’t have the balls to keep it up until the players change their behaviour.
It’s right at the top decision makers that are the problem imo.