The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

1500? How comes not the 2000?

75% for "normal" fans and 25% players, sponsors etc.

Just a point of order, I know at least 3 sponsors gave their allocation to local charities to give to people within the L postcode.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sign of respect. The refs in rugby are far more respected

It's how it should be
Respecting the referee is one thing but that's way over-the-top. I respect lots of people without being told to speak when spoken to and to address them as sir for goodness sake. When I play the referees we respect are the ones who talk to us like adults and explain their decisions. The ones who talk down to us and bark orders like that are the ones who don't get the respect I'm afraid.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Respecting the referee is one thing but that's way over-the-top. I respect lots of people without being told to speak when spoken to and to address them as sir for goodness sake. When I play the referees we respect are the ones who talk to us like adults and explain their decisions. The ones who talk down to us and bark orders like that are the ones who don't get the respect I'm afraid.

To be fair, I suspect there was more than a degree of the referee putting the player back in his box and firmly shutting the lid. That, and he was clearly making a point to the other 29 players on the pitch.

I never hear rugby players talk to referees with anything other than respect, the simple reason being they know full well they will be penalised for stepping out of line. Hence conversations like the one I quoted are rare, as they simply aren’t needed in the first place.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

However what sport are the refs respected at the top level? The one where they the refs word is king and he is sir

The ref isn't there to make friends he is there to do a job.

Like Billy says .. that convo doesn't happen all time because the refs lay down the law and the players respect them

Footballers don't respect the refs .

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely that’s what has been expected of linesmen since they were introduced to the game?

Every offside decision they are expected to be up with play and looking at both the last man and the ball constantly.

When the ball is played he should with a glance know if the player is offside or not, yesterday their was no close offside, Man Utd players were well onside.

His next job was to follow the ball, he didn’t, (watch the replays) he turns his back on the ball and sprints towards the West Ham goal, therefore forgetting to watch the flight of the ball.

Yes it may seem harsh, but they have less to do now he was the only one capable of making the correct decision.

Surely the 4th official could have said something as it whistled straight over his head in the technical area. ;)

4LEX

Visit site
The refs in rugby are top class, the ones in football are awful and don't deserve respect. Xhaka made a rugby tackle in the second minute and no booking. How can you respect refs who get the basic decisions so wrong? First decision in a big game and so clearly wrong. You have a linesman yesterday not even looking if a ball went out of play which is his job. The players don't respect them, the managers don't and the fans don't.

Get the refs on video cam with sound like the Police, get them to account for their decisions after games in an interview and gradually the quality and respect will improve.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember watching one of the first rugby games I saw after the referees started wearing microphones. A player gave the ref a very minor bit of backchat in comparison to what Premier League officials put up with. The referee’s response?

“Two things. First, you only speak to me when asked to. Second, when you do speak to me, you call me Sir. Ten metres.”

Brilliant.
That’s what football needs imo.
A bit of discipline and respect for the ref and other players.
Stop all this screaming trying to get him booked or worse.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe there is the exact issue with football and why the referee appears to have zero control over the players - you say you respect the referee but I reckon just all other footballers when they decision goes against you then you will be balling and screaming at him

Football is the one sport where people show complete disrespect to the referee regardless of what level and how good rbe ref is

When I umpire hockey matches - any back chat , straight to sit down for 2 mins , you don’t see any in rugby at all and if there is , sit down for 10 mins. You don’t see dissent in many other sports because the players actually do respect the referees - footballers don’t and never will - they say they do but as soon as something goes against rightly or wrongly then that respect will go out of the window.

Maybe the players need to be spoken to and treated like children because that’s how they act 99% of the time

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe there is the exact issue with football and why the referee appears to have zero control over the players - you say you respect the referee but I reckon just all other footballers when they decision goes against you then you will be balling and screaming at him

Football is the one sport where people show complete disrespect to the referee regardless of what level and how good rbe ref is

When I umpire hockey matches - any back chat , straight to sit down for 2 mins , you don’t see any in rugby at all and if there is , sit down for 10 mins. You don’t see dissent in many other sports because the players actually do respect the referees - footballers don’t and never will - they say they do but as soon as something goes against rightly or wrongly then that respect will go out of the window.

Maybe the players need to be spoken to and treated like children because that’s how they act 99% of the time

Think that's harsh on kids to be fair...

D

Deleted member 1740

Some kids are worse than adults!!

My lads team U11's played yesterday, there was a scuffle between 2 players. Ref blew for a foul, the offender pushed our player and threw the ball at him.

Ref called the offender over who carried on walking away, he blew his whistle and called him again only for the kid to tell him to Feck Off and gave him 2 fingers. The ref sends him off and the manager says to the kid" why are you doing that?" Kid responds "you told us to kick them so that's what I done"?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That’s what football needs imo.
A bit of discipline and respect for the ref and other players.
Stop all this screaming trying to get him booked or worse.

Thing is though, I remember playing rugby at school in the 70’s and everything was Sir when speaking to the ref/Sir. But again back in the 70’s when I played football it was ref and not Sir. The history when it comes to respect of referees in both sports are “ polar opposites”.

D

Deleted member 16999

Football wasn’t invented yesterday, its not Rugby or Hockey or any other Sport, it’s Football and we are were we are today because of its history and its popularity.

No the arguing with Refs isn’t good, but it’s always gone on, and please, there are plenty of videos of Rugby Refs getting abuse, plus they have their own issues.

Maybe we should ask fans to remain silent when penalties are being took, after all Rugby fans do or maybe we should just ban fans all together from Football, isn’t it now proven we don’t need them, we’ve had no violence amongst supporters, no drunken instances, less Police needed at the grounds. Win/Win for society!

Don’t worry we’ll soon get use to it!

Or maybe we leave it alone and acceot the game we love isn’t perfect and does have problems that we should try and solve without constantly year after year comparing it to other sports.

None of us are innocent in this 90+ minutes in a game and we highlight the 30 seconds of bad. Lpool made a very good Wolves side look poor last night and yet the discussion is about Henderson getting in the Refs face for a few seconds!

It’s Football, it’s our game, let’s celebrate the good instead of highlighting the bad.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Football wasn’t invented yesterday, its not Rugby or Hockey or any other Sport, it’s Football and we are were we are today because of its history and its popularity.

No the arguing with Refs isn’t good, but it’s always gone on, and please, there are plenty of videos of Rugby Refs getting abuse, plus they have their own issues.

Maybe we should ask fans to remain silent when penalties are being took, after all Rugby fans do or maybe we should just ban fans all together from Football, isn’t it now proven we don’t need them, we’ve had no violence amongst supporters, no drunken instances, less Police needed at the grounds. Win/Win for society!

Don’t worry we’ll soon get use to it!

Or maybe we leave it alone and acceot the game we love isn’t perfect and does have problems that we should try and solve without constantly year after year comparing it to other sports.

None of us are innocent in this 90+ minutes in a game and we highlight the 30 seconds of bad. Lpool made a very good Wolves side look poor last night and yet the discussion is about Henderson getting in the Refs face for a few seconds!

It’s Football, it’s our game, let’s celebrate the good instead of highlighting the bad.

I didn’t know Henderson was excersising his vocal chords ? thought it was a “ respect of refs” discussion, what was hendo upset about