The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the new Spurs home shirt is absolutely horrible. Europa football, second rate kit, I suppose it makes sense.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-new-kit-2020-21-home-away-pictures-a4512091.html
The away kit is alright though, don't mind that.
How do you re-invent a plain white shirt? It is hard to do, they need to tweak it somehow each time. We have the same with a royal blue shirt. We want it to be plain, no frills but that doesn't suit the mfrs.

I saw an old 70's game, Big Match Special, during lockdown, Everton v Spurs. No sponsors names, no messing about. We had a plain royal blue shirt, white shorts, you had dark blue shorts, plain white shirt. It made me feel warm inside :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you re-invent a plain white shirt? It is hard to do, they need to tweak it somehow each time. We have the same with a royal blue shirt. We want it to be plain, no frills but that doesn't suit the mfrs.

I saw an old 70's game, Big Match Special, during lockdown, Everton v Spurs. No sponsors names, no messing about. We had a plain royal blue shirt, white shorts, you had dark blue shorts, plain white shirt. It made me feel warm inside :)
We've had plenty of nice shirts but this one is awful. I hate when they put yellow on there, there's no need. I hate the bit down the side that doesn't line up properly, the weird shoulder straps, and wtf is going on with the back of the collar as well? It's just terrible all round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of the 5 subs, imagine you're holding onto City/Liverpool, got to the last 10mins and they bring on 5 fresh superstars.
Yeah I think it's ridiculous that they've kept that rule going. I can't see the logic given that they'll have had pre-season training over the next 5 weeks, plus we'll be getting out of summer into Autumn/Winter shortly. Stupid decision that just benefits clubs with massive squads.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I think it's ridiculous that they've kept that rule going. I can't see the logic given that they'll have had pre-season training over the next 5 weeks, plus we'll be getting out of summer into Autumn/Winter shortly. Stupid decision that just benefits clubs with massive squads.

Disagree here, all the club's competing in Europe won't have time off etc

The season is starting a month later than planned and finished what 2 months later so rather than a solid break the players won't have much.

Then with the season starting later and has to finish by the euros they prob need to look at fitness and Injury management

If it stays the following season I agree stupid

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disagree here, all the club's competing in Europe won't have time off etc

The season is starting a month later than planned and finished what 2 months later so rather than a solid break the players won't have much.

Then with the season starting later and has to finish by the euros they prob need to look at fitness and Injury management

If it stays the following season I agree stupid
In terms of resting them though, it just means two extra players get about 10-15 mins extra break. I don't think it's going to make a huge amount of different in that respect. Teams with European commitments have always had to manage it with rotating line-ups. Where it does make huge difference is teams like City being able to bring on two more fresh world class players do to damage to the opposition.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In terms of resting them though, it just means two extra players get about 10-15 mins extra break. I don't think it's going to make a huge amount of different in that respect. Teams with European commitments have always had to manage it with rotating line-ups. Where it does make huge difference is teams like City being able to bring on two more fresh world class players do to damage to the opposition.

Got to manage it correctly tho, I believe the rule still is in 3 seperate blocks

So if they have used all 3 blocks they can't bring 2 super stars on

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bournemouth have accepted a £41m offer from City for Nathan Ake.
Inevitable he would go. Big money coming in, big wage off the books. It helps to balance the finances, no doubt a few others will leave as well.

Ake will fit the City style of play so it makes sense. He looks a classy player but being at City will show whether he is the real deal or not as any flaws are exposed. Could be a great move for all parties.

Anyone want John Stones? He surely has to move unless he is happy to sit on the bench and take the money. Too young to do that though, 26.

Wolf

Visit site
Inevitable he would go. Big money coming in, big wage off the books. It helps to balance the finances, no doubt a few others will leave as well.

Ake will fit the City style of play so it makes sense. He looks a classy player but being at City will show whether he is the real deal or not as any flaws are exposed. Could be a great move for all parties.

Anyone want John Stones? He surely has to move unless he is happy to sit on the bench and take the money. Too young to do that though, 26.
Be an upgrade on the dross we have, but we will probably sign some 12 year old French kid instead

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be an upgrade on the dross we have, but we will probably sign some 12 year old French kid instead

I think Stones is an interesting one and would show where the power lies to some degree, whether Arteta has any say in who we are signing or whether he has to put up with Sanhelhi and Jorabchians provided players

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He is a good player but needs a coach to show him where row Z is. City don't do that, I can't see him getting that at Arsenal either although maybe that would still be a good move. If he improves his decision making in that way then he would be a good buy for a number of teams.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is Ake really good enough for City? Bit surprised at that. He has formed part of one of the worst defences in the league. He looks a decent player in isolation, but I thought they'd set their sights a bit higher than that.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I've read this morning City see Ake as a back-up to Laporte. People saying they're unlikely to play them together as they're both left-footed so looks like he's in as a back-up for when Laporte inevitably gets injured. A lot of money for a back-up defender though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I've read this morning City see Ake as a back-up to Laporte. People saying they're unlikely to play them together as they're both left-footed so looks like he's in as a back-up for when Laporte inevitably gets injured. A lot of money for a back-up defender though.
That's what I was thinking actually, Pep likes his left footers on the left so back-up for Laporte works. But that sort of means they still need to buy another defender for the right side.