The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Would the Premiership exist in guise we know it without tv money? No. Would advertisers pay Sky if there were no viewers? No. Ergo football, indirectly, needs tv clappers.
I understand that Brian, but listen to the players/managers etc during and after the lockdown and the effect of empty stadiums.

I more than accept the ship has sailed on the way football was and it’s more of a business than a sport these days.

But instead of taking extreme views and making ridiculous points (not you) why not try and find some middle ground, ie, a bit more thought for the travelling fans when a possible move of fixture is being considered, Hairball’s comment about this years Boxing Day fixture when there is no public transport available being a case in point.

If a PL team is playing in Europe on a tuesday they are guaranteed to play on the saturday before. We’ve seen examples of teams playing away in Europe on the tuesday being the 4:00pm kick off on the previous sunday.

You’ve more than paid your dues as many of us have, but the telly clapper whose never been inside a ground telling fans who currently go the game what they should and should not accept is laughable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I still go to a few games at Fulham each season and the cost when you include train fare, food, drink and the ticket is significant these days. It would definitely stop me being a season ticket holder. I also go to a few national league games, usually Maidenhead, and even at that level, the admission has crept up over the last few years. That said the cost of drinks and food is much cheaper so swings and roundabouts. I still have that desire to see football live and still get right into the game from the first whistle. There will come a time when I can't go to games and will be an armchair fan and so will be reliant on BT sport and Sky to bring me my football fix and so accept that the money they pump into the coffers for the rights to games is an evil but one I have to live with if I want to watch the matches

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Those are pretty important questions if you are proposing things change. It is pretty important to look at the consequences of your actions, not just looking at it from your own selfish point of view.

And yes, I'm looking at it from a fan who watches most football on TV. So of course I will be looking at it from a different angle to you. However, I am not the only one in my position. There will be millions more in my position as well.

So, you can demand player salary caps. You can demand more 3pm kick off games. You can demand less games on TV. All very well, but if you are not looking out for the potential negative consequences of those actions, what is the point?

Thats the point that has sailed over your head though, and its a bit rich coming from you when talking about being selfish.

I'm looking at it from both perspectives - a matchgoer, and a TV watcher - you've only ever been one of them.

Yes, the TV caters to your every need and you have shown a singular lack or respect for the fans who do travel with some of your comments.

Your not a fan, your just a voyeur.

Swango1980

Visit site
I understand that Brian, but listen to the players/managers etc during and after the lockdown and the effect of empty stadiums.

I more than accept the ship has sailed on the way football was and it’s more of a business than a sport these days.

But instead of taking extreme views and making ridiculous points (not you) why not try and find some middle ground, ie, a bit more thought for the travelling fans when a possible move of fixture is being considered, Hairball’s comment about this years Boxing Day fixture when there is no public transport available being a case in point.

If a PL team is playing in Europe on a tuesday they are guaranteed to play on the saturday before. We’ve seen examples of teams playing away in Europe on the tuesday being the 4:00pm kick off on the previous sunday.

You’ve more than paid your dues as many of us have, but the telly clapper whose never been inside a ground telling fans who currently go the game what they should and should not accept is laughable.
Love the arrogance in such a statement. And the irony. Telly clappers have no right to have a say (if a match fan disagrees), but match fans opinion is sacred. But, that is fine. If you don't want to see a telly clappers point of view from their perspective, that is up to you. I'm also not against ideas such as sticking fixtures with long travel distances to 3pm kick off if that works. However, I felt there are bound to be issues with that. Not least, if those 2 clubs happened to be playing an important fixture in which broadcasters desperately wished to televise.

Maybe the way things are at the moment are already some sort of middle ground. Perhaps if TV companies had 100% complete control, and had zero interest in clubs, players, managers, or season ticket holders, then the big clubs would never have a 3pm kick off on a Saturday ever again.

With millions of people interested in football, nothing is ever going to please everyone. I only think this discussion got going when I personally didn't see a major issue for a Sunderland fan having to leave at 4am once in a blue moon. And 4am was only a time mentioned by another poster, but also acknowledged that would be pretty extreme based on the general travel time, even from Sunderland. And if fans are travelling between Sunderland and Southampton, travelling is going to be a major pain in the backside regardless.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thats the point that has sailed over your head though, and its a bit rich coming from you when talking about being selfish.

I'm looking at it from both perspectives - a matchgoer, and a TV watcher - you've only ever been one of them.

Yes, the TV caters to your every need and you have shown a singular lack or respect for the fans who do travel with some of your comments.

Your not a fan, your just a voyeur.
What makes you think I haven't been to matches? I said that I typically watch United on TV now, but you presume all I have ever done is search football on TV.

Stop trying to take the high ground. And I am not being critical of match going fans in general. Just asking basic questions of some in here that seem to find it unacceptable that a fan may have to get up early to get to Southampton from Sunderland. I'd blame geography more than anything.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Changing scheduling to something more sensible would almost come at zero extra cost to Sky. If anything it might make quite a difference to European success, which would mean more viewers and more tv advertising revenue.

Salary caps would only work if it was adopted globally. Cap salaries in the Prem would see players go abroad. Poorer games = less viewers = less tv revenue.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Love the arrogance in such a statement. And the irony. Telly clappers have no right to have a say (if a match fan disagrees), but match fans opinion is sacred. But, that is fine. If you don't want to see a telly clappers point of view from their perspective, that is up to you. I'm also not against ideas such as sticking fixtures with long travel distances to 3pm kick off if that works. However, I felt there are bound to be issues with that. Not least, if those 2 clubs happened to be playing an important fixture in which broadcasters desperately wished to televise.

Maybe the way things are at the moment are already some sort of middle ground. Perhaps if TV companies had 100% complete control, and had zero interest in clubs, players, managers, or season ticket holders, then the big clubs would never have a 3pm kick off on a Saturday ever again.

With millions of people interested in football, nothing is ever going to please everyone. I only think this discussion got going when I personally didn't see a major issue for a Sunderland fan having to leave at 4am once in a blue moon. And 4am was only a time mentioned by another poster, but also acknowledged that would be pretty extreme based on the general travel time, even from Sunderland. And if fans are travelling between Sunderland and Southampton, travelling is going to be a major pain in the backside regardless.

1. Point me to where I've said TV fand have no right to say anything.
2. Match fans have lots of different POV with regards to anything so a view can't be sacred - again, where have I said that?
3. What credentials do you have to give a POV from both sides?

YOU came on with the total lack of respect to the match going fan, so reap what you sow, although a lot of back-tracking now, I see.

Dont forget, some of these match goers will be kids, as well.

You want all the benefits of football, but with hardly any "support", unless you call a sky subscription an investment in football.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What makes you think I haven't been to matches? I said that I typically watch United on TV now, but you presume all I have ever done is search football on TV.

Stop trying to take the high ground. And I am not being critical of match going fans in general. Just asking basic questions of some in here that seem to find it unacceptable that a fan may have to get up early to get to Southampton from Sunderland. I'd blame geography more than anything.

Go on then, the stage is yours, tell us about your experiences and match stats......

D

Deleted member 16999

Changing scheduling to something more sensible would almost come at zero extra cost to Sky. If anything it might make quite a difference to European success, which would mean more viewers and more tv advertising revenue.

Salary caps would only work if it was adopted globally. Cap salaries in the Prem would see players go abroad. Poorer games = less viewers = less tv revenue.
I don’t think salary caps are viable, far too many greedy folk, plus Sky are messing about fans in the EFL not just the PL.

Apparently one of the reasons games are not shown live at 3pm is that it would stop fans going to the matches and it is at the PL’s insistance.

Why not trial it, surely the proof will be in attendance figures.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not good at Vicarage Road, hopefully the fan makes a full recovery. Good to see the Chelsea medical staff going over to assist, and that's not a knock at Watford's staff who were treating their own injured player at the time.

Great to see the Watford fans applauding the Chelsea medical staff as they went back to the dugout. (y)

Swango1980

Visit site
1. Point me to where I've said TV fand have no right to say anything.
2. Match fans have lots of different POV with regards to anything so a view can't be sacred - again, where have I said that?
3. What credentials do you have to give a POV from both sides?

YOU came on with the total lack of respect to the match going fan, so reap what you sow, although a lot of back-tracking now, I see.

Dont forget, some of these match goers will be kids, as well.

You want all the benefits of football, but with hardly any "support", unless you call a sky subscription an investment in football.
I was actually responding to another poster to be fair, not you. There is a clear disrespect to "telly clappers" in some of the statements made.

I've not once told match goers what they should and should not expect. I have even said that a lot of these questions may have no one correct answer, as it completely depends on an individuals perspective.

I don't think TV companies try, or want to annoy fans. Fans are their customers. Match goers are important to them as well, I've already stated atmosphere is huge.

I've been to plenty of games in my time. I've followed N Ireland, and my times at Euro 2016 were amongst the best times of my life. So, I'm.not for one second dismissing match goers. Just trying to figure out that, if Sky do things to annoy match goers from time to time, what is the reason? What is the benefit? How often does it happen?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I don’t think salary caps are viable, far too many greedy folk, plus Sky are messing about fans in the EFL not just the PL.

Apparently one of the reasons games are not shown live at 3pm is that it would stop fans going to the matches and it is at the PL’s insistance.

Why not trial it, surely the proof will be in attendance figures.

Given that the majority at Chelsea are season ticket holders, I can't see them suddenly putting their feet up in front of the tele.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Or are these incidents happening to recovered Covid sufferers? There’s even been at least 3 professional footballers in the last 6 months…

This one amazes me; given the medical and health facilities that they have access to there is something amiss that it can happen to them.