The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I would have picked Watkins in the original squad, think Southgate will go the Lingaard route or maybe another defender (Godfrey?)
I don't actually think he should have been ahead of either Ings or Bamford tbh.

But as Kane is starting, and DCL blatant cover. I don't see a 3rd striker getting any time anyways.

If Henderson isn't fit then we are limited in the middle imo.

That being said. I've got no real expectation of JWP going. Even though I feel he brings more to the squad d than others.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But as Kane is starting, and DCL blatant cover. I don't see a 3rd striker getting any time anyways.

That being said. I've got no real expectation of JWP going. Even though I feel he brings more to the squad d than others.

each to their own, Watkins far the better of the 3 and gives a bit more of a different dimension to me. If Kane is going to play in midfield like he did last night we'll need another centre forward ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
each to their own, Watkins far the better of the 3 and gives a bit more of a different dimension to me. If Kane is going to play in midfield like he did last night we'll need another centre forward ;)
Fair point about Kane.

Will agree to differ re the forwards ??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I hope it's Ward-Prowse. Imagine we're 1-0 down in the quarter final, 5 minutes to go, we get a free kick 22 yards out. Who do you want on it?? Especially now Trent isn't there. In that situation I'd literally sub JWP on from the bench to take it, it's as good as a penalty.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I hope it's Ward-Prowse. Imagine we're 1-0 down in the quarter final, 5 minutes to go, we get a free kick 22 yards out. Who do you want on it?? Especially now Trent isn't there. In that situation I'd literally sub JWP on from the bench to take it, it's as good as a penalty.
tbh I was shocked he wasn’t picked simply due to the fact Southgate has awful tactics and we will effectively be like we’re were at the last comp. set plays.
Couple that with the fact we have freakish who buys/earns/warrants how many free kicks a game?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Id hope my penalty taker scored more than 1 in 10!!!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To summarise my point without getting bogged down in numbers, I think he can't be far off the best free kick taker in world football, and in a squad where we have the rare opportunity to take 26 players - you might as well chuck him in just for that.