The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rice plays just in front of the 2 central defenders! The Newcastle lad, Gordon, is a winger, I’m not sure that would work, in fact it’s a bit like saying put Ramsdale in goal and put Pickford at left back as he’s left footed.🤪
Or put TAA in midfield?

Sorry the Crystal Palace midfield Wharton

RichA

Visit site
think that’s all wrong that the taker can keep stopping like that to try and make the keeper move
Yep. By design, the kicker is trying to trick the keeper into going early. Then complains when the keeper outwaits him and wins the duel. The run up wasn't just stuttering - he came to a full stop twice.
I actually wanted France to lose this match. Now I want them both to lose.

Swango1980

Visit site
After 1st 2 games, I'd expect any manager to make a change. Trust Southgate to make the most boring change imaginable, albeit Gallagher is an improvement in TAA. I wonder if he thinks that change is solely the key to making England tick again.

Hope he is right. Though he is determined to keep Foden on left I guess.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yep. By design, the kicker is trying to trick the keeper into going early. Then complains when the keeper outwaits him and wins the duel. The run up wasn't just stuttering - he came to a full stop twice.
I actually wanted France to lose this match. Now I want them both to lose.

I thought it had changed at some point but his actions made the keeper leap forward and saved it

Happy to see France mess up and go into the tough side of the draw

Great game with Holland and Austria - they were very impressive

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
After 1st 2 games, I'd expect any manager to make a change. Trust Southgate to make the most boring change imaginable, albeit Gallagher is an improvement in TAA. I wonder if he thinks that change is solely the key to making England tick again.

Hope he is right. Though he is determined to keep Foden on left I guess.

England are absolutely crying out for a few changes to freshen things up. They look lethargic, devoid of ideas, and totally lacking in confidence and inspiration.

One change? Is that the best Southgate can manage? Dropping TAA and bringing in Gallagher is like replacing a pair of soiled socks with an odd pair you’ve found in the laundry basket.

I truly, genuinely hope that I am proved wrong, but this is the most uninspiring piece of management I think I have ever seen. This is an ideal time to try and build momentum going into the knockout stages. Watch us stumble over the line.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Lets see how it plays out. I'm usually glass half empty but lets remember we've done well in so many last group matches. Who knows what he's told the players to do so lets see if they come out and are positive

Not sure the word positive features in Southgate’s vocabulary. Again, I really do hope I’m wrong. But I’ve got a bad feeling that we’re just going to see more of the same.

He has a squad. The fact he refuses point blank to make use of it is beyond depressing.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
It is easy to be experimental with your squad choice when you never had any intention of playing at all those players. Cole, Gordon, Wharton, Mainoo and Toney. Won't get more than 60 mins between them

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
England are absolutely crying out for a few changes to freshen things up. They look lethargic, devoid of ideas, and totally lacking in confidence and inspiration.

One change? Is that the best Southgate can manage? Dropping TAA and bringing in Gallagher is like replacing a pair of soiled socks with an odd pair you’ve found in the laundry basket.

I truly, genuinely hope that I am proved wrong, but this is the most uninspiring piece of management I think I have ever seen. This is an ideal time to try and build momentum going into the knockout stages. Watch us stumble over the line.
actually...we are already over the line (if the line is qualifying for the knockout stages)...i wonder if we can do our best to step back over the line?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't the law get changed at one point to stop players running up and stopping. Surely VAR need to be talking to the ref if so

I looked it up at the time as thought the same. They can stutter as much as they like during the run up but not stop at the end of the run up, or feign to kick the ball. So it was ok. I hate it though. Just hit the flipping thing you total twit.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Southgate should have been binned after his Kalvin Phillips comments.
However, I'm going for a 3-0 victory and an early yellow for Gallagher, who shouldn't be playing!