The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read that Tottenham U21s have finished top of their Premier league, and yet haven't been crowned champions. Normally, they would have done. However, this is the 1st season where a different format has been introduced. The title is decided via play-offs, featuring the Top 16 sides

Assuming Spurs don't win the playoffs, this is definitely up there as one of the most Spursy things I've ever heard
That’s crap .
There are winners and everyone else.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct - I saw that someone did ask Ange about it and he was angry. It's such a stupid rhetoric, and the idea that a team would genuinely go out and try and lose is laughable. We'll probably lose anyway, but let's not pretend it was on purpose as that would be embarrassing.
Only way to play City is have a go at them.
You have the forward talent to do it.
It’s just the defence needs to turn up tonight.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bowen would be my choice.
But West Ham fans don’t agree😳😳

Salah is a very good player but often gets mom for scoring a worldie but having missed two sitters and done nothing for 85 mins.
He shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot.
Just my opinion I have always thought this.!

We need a proper good finishing striker.
Nunez is a slasher scores good goals but not a clinical finisher.
Jotta seems to be made of glass.

But good finishers are rare and expensive!
Salah is world class of course, but you could definitely see a change in him after his first season when he became a hit. He became infinitely more selfish. You could see how angry Mané was at playing with him when he'd never get a pass - had to be a big reason why he left. I would not be at all surprised to see him leave, he still gets goals because he's class, but is his heart really in it anymore? With Klopp leaving, Salah may find a big money Saudi retirement package appealing.

Swango1980

Visit site
Bowen would be my choice.
But West Ham fans don’t agree😳😳

Salah is a very good player but often gets mom for scoring a worldie but having missed two sitters and done nothing for 85 mins.
He shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot.
Just my opinion I have always thought this.!

We need a proper good finishing striker.
Nunez is a slasher scores good goals but not a clinical finisher.
Jotta seems to be made of glass.

But good finishers are rare and expensive!
If you get the timing right, Martial is likely to be available soon.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Salah is one of the best goalscorers that’s been in the Prem

He is a machine

And yes at times he will be selfish - all too goalscorers are

But he still has close to 100 assists at the club

Mane didn’t leave because of Salah and Mane also had a selfish streak at times

Since the AFCOn he has had a poor run of form plus some niggles and doesn’t seem himself

But a rest and a new manager will see him producing again

Even this season his worst for a while he has 18 prem goals and 10 assists

25 overall and 14 assists -

That’s an output that’s hard to buy unless you want to spend a lot of money

If Mo wants to stay he will

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

He is a machine

Since the AFCOn he has had a poor run of form plus some niggles and doesn’t seem himself

I would suggest WAS one of the best goalscorers. He is is behind some very good young talent this season and I think Liverpool are definitely a side in transition not just from Klopps departure but the balance of side as well. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

Will he be as good next season and is that desire truly there? There is a difference between being greedy and understanding when a pass is the better option. Lots of top strikers, particularly Henry were greedy, even by his own admission but he was also adept of recognising when the shot isn't the right option and lay it off. I think this is something Salah is lacking even with the assists. That number could and perhaps should have been higher

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

He is a machine

Agreed on this part in bold anyway. He's irreplaceable. Jota, Diaz, Gakpo are not in the same ballpark. Players like Salah don't come around very often so you'll struggle to fill the void when he does pack his bags, Just like us with Kane of course.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed on this part in bold anyway. He's irreplaceable. Jota, Diaz, Gakpo are not in the same ballpark. Players like Salah don't come around very often so you'll struggle to fill the void when he does pack his bags, Just like us with Kane of course.
It's ironic that Spurs have scored more goals so far this season, with 2 games to go, that they have done in a full league season for the last 6 years. Another 3 goals, and you tie the 2017/18 season of 74 goals.

You'll struggle to beat 2016/17, where you scored 86

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's ironic that Spurs have scored more goals so far this season, with 2 games to go, that they have done in a full league season for the last 6 years. Another 3 goals, and you tie the 2017/18 season of 74 goals.

You'll struggle to beat 2016/17, where you scored 86
Yeah. Imagine how many Kane would have scored if he stayed for one more season. He might have broken Shearer's record already. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah. Imagine how many Kane would have scored if he stayed for one more season. He might have broken Shearer's record already. :LOL:
Or are his Bundesliga records this year watered down given the quality of opposition or do you think aside from their top 4-6 their other sides are as good as our mid-lower half sides. You can only score against what is in front of you but would Kane have had a similar return this year especially given the number of goals scored.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I would suggest WAS one of the best goalscorers. He is is behind some very good young talent this season and I think Liverpool are definitely a side in transition not just from Klopps departure but the balance of side as well. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

Will he be as good next season and is that desire truly there? There is a difference between being greedy and understanding when a pass is the better option. Lots of top strikers, particularly Henry were greedy, even by his own admission but he was also adept of recognising when the shot isn't the right option and lay it off. I think this is something Salah is lacking even with the assists. That number could and perhaps should have been higher
Plenty of ways at looking at stats! Salah is world class and been producing the goals for years!

Judging him against 1 season is pointless, let’s see if these young talents can produce the goods year after year like Salah has done.

The top goalscorer is Haaland who was recently described as having the footballing ability of a league 2 player.

As for the young talent, have a look at the minutes per goal return and assists below:
1715700981003.jpeg

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Plenty of ways at looking at stats! Salah is world class and been producing the goals for years!

Judging him against 1 season is pointless, let’s see if these young talents can produce the goods year after year like Salah has done.

The top goalscorer is Haaland who was recently described as having the footballing ability of a league 2 player.

As for the young talent, have a look at the minutes per goal return and assists below:
View attachment 53297

Sort of agree with where you’re coming from but just because a player was good 6 months ago doesn’t mean he is now. Let’s get Bobby Charlton back ;) .

I think I posted earlier, its goals against in recent weeks that have done for Liverpool, not Salah missing a few chances.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A draw tonight would make good viewing for the neutral on Sunday.
City & Arsenal going into the last game on the same points,shame GD wouldn’t be the same.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Sort of agree with where you’re coming from but just because a player was good 6 months ago doesn’t mean he is now. Let’s get Bobby Charlton back ;) .

I think I posted earlier, its goals against in recent weeks that have done for Liverpool, not Salah missing a few chances.
Exactly mate, as Phil said before (I think) if Salah wants to stay he stays, he’s not finished yet and talking about young players being better when they’ve scored 1 more goal this season is silly.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think they’d be crazy not to cash in on a player of his age IF the right price is right.
But not sure who they’d replace him with.
Nunez looks like a big money flop,Diaz is decent but poor end product.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they’d be crazy not to cash in on a player of his age IF the right price is right.

I get the feeling kudus will end up at Liverpool or alight

He is going to go to a top club and he will need some champ league games before he gets there 😉 lol but seriously he would be the kind of replacement that Liverpool need. Very strong player aswell. Very good defensively as well as going forward

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons for Diaz end product is we more or less play without a central striker.
He can beat his man but has to check back as there’s nobody in the box.

I thought Nunez might solve that but he hasn’t.
It’s how Klopp likes to play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get the feeling kudus will end up at Liverpool or alight

He is going to go to a top club and he will need some champ league games before he gets there 😉 lol but seriously he would be the kind of replacement that Liverpool need. Very strong player aswell. Very good defensively as well as going forward
Bit harsh setting him on fire if he won’t go to Liverpool😂😂😂

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One of the reasons for Diaz end product is we more or less play without a central striker.
He can beat his man but has to check back as there’s nobody in the box.

I thought Nunez might solve that but he hasn’t.
It’s how Klopp likes to play.

Has Klopp decided to leave because he sees the squad going nowhere, a bit like Fergie did at Utd?

Think of the worldie’s that have left in recent seasons. Mane, Wjeldum(sp), Henderson, Firmino… no doubt there’s others. Who, in the same class, has replaced them? Liverpool’s team of 3 seasons ago is light years ahead of the current team.

Arsenal stuttering a little, City not having their best season. And Liverpool aren’t ahead of them…