The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
I only really see OTT Sky Sports ads and presenters trotting out that garbage.
Is it garbage though? There are undoubtably great teams and great players around the world, but for the sheer quantity of top players/Managers/Stadiums etc the PL has to be there or there about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We keep being told that the EPL is the best league in the world. Maybe that needs to be reassessed after this year's performances?
It is one of the most exciting in the world and one of the best in the world. Whether it is THE best is always subjective. Personally, I'm not sure any league is so far clear that they can claim to be the best. The claims themselves are just marketing guff

If we are going off the final 4, does it mean the German league is the best in the world right now? I'm not sure that stacks up.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why? Being the best in the World doesn’t mean unbeatable.
the 4 best teams in England are entered. 2 fail to make it out the group, 2 get knocked out in the QF. Hardly suggests it's the best league in the world. Being the richest doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It is one of the most exciting in the world and one of the best in the world. Whether it is THE best is always subjective. Personally, I'm not sure any league is so far clear that they can claim to be the best. The claims themselves are just marketing guff

If we are going off the final 4, does it mean the German league is the best in the world right now? I'm not sure that stacks up.
Why judge it off a European Competition though? Plenty of other top teams and players in the rest of the World.

To me it’s the best as a complete package, it definitely doesn’t reflect on the National Team.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Premier League definitely is the best league in the world. Most of the world's best players want to play here. Real Madrid may be the biggest club, but the bottom half of the Spanish League is Championship standard at best.

PaulMdj

Visit site
the 4 best teams in England are entered. 2 fail to make it out the group, 2 get knocked out in the QF. Hardly suggests it's the best league in the world. Being the richest doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.
Current World Champions are English, are we allowed to claim it until the next World Club Championship.

They were the best 4 teams last season, not this season, hence why you can’t judge it on 1 season.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is it though, what other top league can compete with it for wages, sponsorship, investment etc?

Surely the media are simply reflecting fact.
Well, if no other league in the world can compete with the Premier League in terms of those things, then I go back to what I said:

Having no PL club past the QF in the Champions League is a major disappointment. All the money, full of the worlds best players and best managers, best stadiums, and yet none of them are left in the competition. Tonight is touch and go as well. Both clubs in the Europa League has poor 1st leg results, and only Villa in the Conference League managed a narrow win.

Football is a results business, unless it is convenient to ignore poor results and use other metrics to boast about how good the PL is. City were rightly praised last year, and so this year it is fair to say it has been disappointing for them and the others. Well, majorly disappointing for them and shocking for Man Utd

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Given that Bayern are currently 16 points behind their league leaders, and Dortmund are only 5th (and 23 points off the leaders), then maybe there is an argument to made for the German league currently being the strongest?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why judge it off a European Competition though? Plenty of other top teams and players in the rest of the World.

To me it’s the best as a complete package, it definitely doesn’t reflect on the National Team.
The only possible comparable leagues would be in S.America, Argentina and Brasil. Now, I am happy to profess ignorance of those national leagues but as most of the best players from those countries ply their trade in Europe it is fair to guess that they are not as strong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given that Bayern are currently 16 points behind their league leaders, and Dortmund are only 5th (and 23 points off the leaders), then maybe there is an argument to made for the German league currently being the strongest?
Ha ha, I was possibly too hasty there. You could be right, although I don't know if the depth is that great. That is more what I was thinking. The top 2-3 in Germany will be solid, the gap is then pretty big.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Well, if no other league in the world can compete with the Premier League in terms of those things, then I go back to what I said:

Having no PL club past the QF in the Champions League is a major disappointment. All the money, full of the worlds best players and best managers, best stadiums, and yet none of them are left in the competition. Tonight is touch and go as well. Both clubs in the Europa League has poor 1st leg results, and only Villa in the Conference League managed a narrow win.

Football is a results business, unless it is convenient to ignore poor results and use other metrics to boast about how good the PL is. City were rightly praised last year, and so this year it is fair to say it has been disappointing for them and the others. Well, majorly disappointing for them and shocking for Man Utd
You are using 1 competition to judge the PL, the Clubs who qualified from the PL, LAST SEASON, will obviously be disappointed in how they done.

That still doesn’t deflect from everything else the PL has going for it.

Of course if your barometer to judge the best league in the world is determined by who wins the CL then crack on.

Swango1980

Visit site
The Premier League definitely is the best league in the world. Most of the world's best players want to play here. Real Madrid may be the biggest club, but the bottom half of the Spanish League is Championship standard at best.
Mbappe desperate to go to Real Madrid, which is where Bellingham wanted to go. Messi never seemed interested in the Premier League? There are many fantastic players than play in other leagues in the world. But, many of us see the Premier League week in, week out, and will have more bias towards PL players. Simply because we see them every week and remember all the great performances they have put in. There'll be less focus on the great performances players in other leagues put in every week.

And, people always seem really dismissive of teams outside the very top European teams. After Real Madrid, Barcelona and Athletico and maybe one or 2 others, there seems to be a feeling all other clubs are Championship standard. Are they? Maybe it is just my impression, but it seems that it is often other European teams from Spain and Italy, for example, that do well in the lesser European competitions. Do they not generally do better than PL teams?

And, in all honesty, if I was Spanish and a big La Liga fan, I'd probably say exactly the same thing about the Premier League. That outside the top 6 or so clubs, everyone else is La Liga 2 standard. I don't think they look at clubs like Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Luton, Forest, Everton, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham and Wolves as being anything special at all.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
As I said, it is subjective. I believe it is a major disappointment for many. Just as many are clearly majorly disappointed if England were to get knocked out in the last 16 or QF to a team like France, Spain or Italy.

Everything you say, I agree with. Other European teams have quality players. But, from what I've read and heard in much of the media over a long time, and especially over the last week or so as the tie approaches, is just how good City are, and Arsenal now. It is clear many expected the PL sides to almost breeze through. Even after the first leg draws, many seemed to make City absolute clear favourites. I didn't see it, as I look at teams like Real Madrid and see some absolute quality players. But, it seems many in the media can barely look past players like De Bruyne, Haaland, Foden, etc and simply believe they are just way too strong for any other team.

For those that are very realistic, and know PL teams are not a class above other European teams, I'm sure they are not disappointed. But to the many who think otherwise, it will be a major disappointment (unless of course they are not City and Arsenal fans, and were really hoping they'd lose, in which case it is party time)
I have bolded the bit where you get it all wrong. You are talking for the many, how many, how many make a many. Why not just say YOU THINK it's a major dissapointment for them. I just love the way people think many are with them with no idea if that's even true.

I would agree except Real Madrid were the one team you felt with their form could beat City. That should have been the final but instead was the QF. Now losing to one of the other teams I would feel would have been a major disappointment rather than just disappointed and certainly that is only my opinion and I do not wish to speak for the many.

Now Arsenal should feel more disappointed looking at how poor BM have been this season and the fact Tuchel is still there doing a poor job at league level but hey ho many other may not agree

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
Mbappe desperate to go to Real Madrid, which is where Bellingham wanted to go. Messi never seemed interested in the Premier League? There are many fantastic players than play in other leagues in the world. But, many of us see the Premier League week in, week out, and will have more bias towards PL players. Simply because we see them every week and remember all the great performances they have put in. There'll be less focus on the great performances players in other leagues put in every week.

And, people always seem really dismissive of teams outside the very top European teams. After Real Madrid, Barcelona and Athletico and maybe one or 2 others, there seems to be a feeling all other clubs are Championship standard. Are they? Maybe it is just my impression, but it seems that it is often other European teams from Spain and Italy, for example, that do well in the lesser European competitions. Do they not generally do better than PL teams?

And, in all honesty, if I was Spanish and a big La Liga fan, I'd probably say exactly the same thing about the Premier League. That outside the top 6 or so clubs, everyone else is La Liga 2 standard. I don't think they look at clubs like Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Luton, Forest, Everton, Brentford, Palace, Bournemouth, Fulham and Wolves as being anything special at all.
That list of Clubs that have won European Trophies or reached European finals? How Spanish teams in the lower levels of La Liga have done the same?

Maybe it’s some of your anti-English bias coming through?

Swango1980

Visit site
I have bolded the bit where you get it all wrong. You are talking for the many, how many, how many make a many. Why not just say YOU THINK it's a major dissapointment for them. I just love the way people think many are with them with no idea if that's even true.

I would agree except Real Madrid were the one team you felt with their form could beat City. That should have been the final but instead was the QF. Now losing to one of the other teams I would feel would have been a major disappointment rather than just disappointed and certainly that is only my opinion and I do not wish to speak for the many.

Now Arsenal should feel more disappointed looking at how poor BM have been this season and the fact Tuchel is still there doing a poor job at league level but hey ho many other may not agree
I think I've made it clear how I defined that. But to be more specific, the vast majority of those in media. When asked to preview how these teams will do, nearly every single one of them predicted City and Arsenal wins. Certainly City, many of whom didn't give Real Madrid a chance in the second leg. Sure, there may be a few that are more cautious, but they are few and far between.

And, as you said, Arsenal lost to a Bayern Munich team that have been very poor in their own league this season. And, of course, Man Utd and Newcastle were very very disappointing.

There is certainly not a lot to be satisfied with. I don't see the controversy in saying people can be majorly disappointed. As fans, we are probably disappointed more than we are happy most of the time. That isn't to say PL clubs will not be over the moon with what they will achieve in future seasons, just not this season (generally). But, I simply think we are too dismissive of other European teams, who have plenty of their own class players earning lots of money.