The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No we've not.

Ah right so now you've benifted from such a poor decision, you defend it as a marginal decison. I think the refs main man call it as "subjective".

It's pathetic to defend what we've watched tonight. Is it really football with these decisions?

I ask again, which decision are you referring to?

I’ve been fairly clear in my views on both. I would not have been disappointed had United not been awarded that penalty. It was soft. I’ve said so. But once given, it’s the sort of decision VAR are never going to interfere with, in much the same way as if it hadn’t been given by the on field referee.

If the Bournemouth penalty claim, it’s not a penalty. The offence is outside the area. How can you argue for a penalty for an offence which occurred outside the area?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The pundit kept referring to "did it continue into the box". Is that the rule? If so then it clearly did as the attacker actually got through the first part of the foul (outside the box) and then was rugby tackled in the box.

Swango1980

Visit site
The pundit kept referring to "did it continue into the box". Is that the rule? If so then it clearly did as the attacker actually got through the first part of the foul (outside the box) and then was rugby tackled in the box.
The continue into the box element is to account for an incident where a player is pulled back, manages to stay up but continues to be pulled as he goes into the box.

This was a foul made in a point of time, which was outside the box. Just because the attacker may fall into the defender as he moves into box doesn't mean he is still being tackled

Billysboots

Visit site
Unfortunately you’re right.
But imo that’s an error and what VAR was put in place for.

VAR is there for clear and obvious errors. And that probably wasn’t in that category which is why they didn’t intervene - we saw several examples of it in the Champion’s League during the week.

I actually think that’s the way most fans would prefer it. We’ve become so used to each and every incident, however minor, being reviewed in excruciating slow time by the VAR. I don’t think too many will argue it’s ruining the game in this country.

Get back to letting the on field referee officiate and only become involved when he has made a clear and obvious error.

samthom99

Visit site
Yes that is the rule. We often see fouls/pens given for this, unless its against Man u

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
VAR is there for clear and obvious errors. And that probably wasn’t in that category which is why they didn’t intervene - we saw several examples of it in the Champion’s League during the week.

I actually think that’s the way most fans would prefer it. We’ve become so used to each and every incident, however minor, being reviewed in excruciating slow time by the VAR. I don’t think too many will argue it’s ruining the game in this country.

Get back to letting the on field referee officiate and only become involved when he has made a clear and obvious error.
Yes but I think that’s a clear error.
It’s deflected at close range and hits his upper arm by his side.

Most fans imo would not want penalty’s given for that.

Billysboots

Visit site
Yes but I think that’s a clear error.
It’s deflected at close range and hits his upper arm by his side.

Most fans imo would not want penalty’s given for that.

I think the issue is perhaps more a problem with the handball rule, and the interpretation of it, rather than VAR.

I no longer know what the rule is, it seems to change that often.

PaulMdj

Visit site
VAR proved its worth tonight, B’Mouth’s defenders arm went in an upward motion Ref gave a penalty agreed by VAR.

Foul around the box, Ref thought it was inside and gave a penalty, VAR proved initial contact was outside the box and overturned the decision.

I don’t care who you support or who gets favouritism, VAR was brought in for exactly these decisions.