The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very reminiscent of the Euros final when, having taken the early lead, England just dropped deeper and deeper until they were camped on the edge of their own eighteen yard box.

To see us doing that second half, sorry, but that had to be a tactical decision made at half time. The difference between the approaches first and second half was just vast.
I see what you're saying but Italy dictated the pace second half. Different team.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Yep that’s GS for you.
never put a glove on us first half.
so why change.

Too eager by half to protect what he has, rather than killing a game off when we have the chance.

A great win, but a really tough watch second half. And this is an Italy side in the process of a rebuild, let’s not forget.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone point me in the direction of the rumours? (Not disbelieving, just would like to read a bit more on the topic). I know he has supposedly been linked with Tottenham and Crystal Palace but as far as I know he's said 'not interested'

I have a friend who has connections within the club and alerted me to it the other day. You might have seen this yesterday:

so it seems like the rumour might have had some legs, but Cooper was "saved" because the chap didn't want to take the job.

If that's the case, I don't know what's worse!? The whole higher management of the club has become a mess since Marinakis Jr has been involved (and forced out Dane Murphy).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well done England, first win in Italy since 1962.
I cannot believe some 'fans' on here are blaming the manager for the result.

Nearly as deluded as some Hearts fans.
Third in the league and in Europe seemingly not good enough for them.

Billysboots

Visit site
Well done England, first win in Italy since 1962.
I cannot believe some 'fans' on here are blaming the manager for the result.

Nearly as deluded as some Hearts fans.
Third in the league and in Europe seemingly not good enough for them.

So we’re fans if we applaud Southgate on his repeated conservatism, but merely ‘fans’ if we criticise? Are we not entitled to an opinion?

The evidence has been there for all to see for a long time. When England play on the front foot they can be a match for pretty much anyone. When Southgate stifles that approach they either snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, or stumble over the line in games they should be winning comfortably. The glorious failures in the last two World Cups and the Euros are evidence of the former, last night the latter.

The draws at the last three major tournaments could not have been kinder to England, and yet they have been found wanting when things have been handed to them on a plate. At least one of those tournaments, if not two, were there to be won and yet they came home empty handed. That’s down to the manager, end of.

The second half last night was a carbon copy of the last 80 minutes of the final of the Euros. Take the lead by playing very much on the front foot, and then either gift the win to Italy, as they did in the Euros final, or do their utmost to, as they did last night, by retreating into their shells and defending the edge of their own eighteen yard box.

Of course it’s a fantastic achievement to win in Italy for the first time in over 50 years. But many watching last night, myself included, are firmly of the opinion that the margin should have been far more comfortable than it ultimately was, and that Southgate, by reverting to type yet again, very nearly cost them at least two points.

Sorry if that means I am only a ‘fan’, rather than a fan. If you unable to anccept others having an opinion without patronising their status as supporters of their chosen team I suggest you ask the mods to close this thread.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So we’re fans if we applaud Southgate on his repeated conservatism, but merely ‘fans’ if we criticise? Are we not entitled to an opinion?

The evidence has been there for all to see for a long time. When England play on the front foot they can be a match for pretty much anyone. When Southgate stifles that approach they either snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, or stumble over the line in games they should be winning comfortably. The glorious failures in the last two World Cups and the Euros are evidence of the former, last night the latter.

The draws at the last three major tournaments could not have been kinder to England, and yet they have been found wanting when things have been handed to them on a plate. At least one of those tournaments, if not two, were there to be won and yet they came home empty handed. That’s down to the manager, end of.

The second half last night was a carbon copy of the last 80 minutes of the final of the Euros. Take the lead by playing very much on the front foot, and then either gift the win to Italy, as they did in the Euros final, or do their utmost to, as they did last night, by retreating into their shells and defending the edge of their own eighteen yard box.

Of course it’s a fantastic achievement to win in Italy for the first time in over 50 years. But many watching last night, myself included, are firmly of the opinion that the margin should have been far more comfortable than it ultimately was, and that Southgate, by reverting to type yet again, very nearly cost them at least two points.

Sorry if that means I am only a ‘fan’, rather than a fan. If you unable to anccept others having an opinion without patronising their status as supporters of their chosen team I suggest you ask the mods to close this thread.

I agree with that, I think the frustration is not that England are bad, it is just there is the potential to be so much better. It may be a case of the grass always being greener but there is that feeling that this generation of players could achieve so much more and it would be a shame to see them wasted like the last 'golden generation'.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a friend who has connections within the club and alerted me to it the other day. You might have seen this yesterday:

so it seems like the rumour might have had some legs, but Cooper was "saved" because the chap didn't want to take the job.

If that's the case, I don't know what's worse!? The whole higher management of the club has become a mess since Marinakis Jr has been involved (and forced out Dane Murphy).
It seems that Palace, Wolves and Everton have also been sniffing around for him. A bit surprising as his managerial career doesn't seem to have been stellar? But worrying nonetheless that Forest were even thinking about it/him. Agree that Cooper really should get staying - even if the worst happens. (And Marinakis Jnr really does seem a t*sser and should be kept away from any kibd od responsibility. Sadly, parents always seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their offspring).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems that Palace, Wolves and Everton have also been sniffing around for him. A bit surprising as his managerial career doesn't seem to have been stellar? But worrying nonetheless that Forest were even thinking about it/him. Agree that Cooper really should get staying - even if the worst happens. (And Marinakis Jnr really does seem a t*sser and should be kept away from any kibd od responsibility. Sadly, parents always seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their offspring).

It would be a real shame if we undid all of the good work we've done in the last 18 months. I'm not saying Cooper is perfect and tactically he has been off colour a bit in recent games - I think born out of the worry of capitulating like we've done so many times this season...instead of attacking the game head on, which I think at home, is called for a bit more. But let's not forget, this is his first season in the top flight, and has only been a club manager/head coach for 5 years or so, so is still learning.

But rumours of players being unhappy with game day tactics, resigning themselves to relegation and Cooper only focusing on his "favourites" (i.e. those he wanted to recruit and not the randoms that the ownership chose to bring in) are all a bit worrying.

Hopefully just need a few results in that first week after the break to start turning things around!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Let's not forget that Italy did not beat us in the Euros final, it was 1-1 and they went on to win the penalty shoot out. After their keeper made two outstanding saves from Saka and Sancho. Which could have been deemed good penalties had the keeper gone the other way.
It's also been said that Italy had a poor team in the Euros, and yes, it wasn't their best but no Italy team are going to let us walk all over them. They deserve more respect than that.
Anyway, onwards and upwards to our next game. 👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I can’t make my mind up whether England retreated or Italy upper their game. Maybe Italy retreated in the first half, making England look way better than they were?

It was never going to be an easy away game in Italy. Credit to England for a very good first half but I wouldn’t rush to criticise their second half performance either. Italy pinged the ball around a lot quicker in the second half and really made a few England players look very ordinary.

Billysboots

Visit site
I can’t make my mind up whether England retreated or Italy upper their game. Maybe Italy retreated in the first half, making England look way better than they were?

It was never going to be an easy away game in Italy. Credit to England for a very good first half but I wouldn’t rush to criticise their second half performance either. Italy pinged the ball around a lot quicker in the second half and really made a few England players look very ordinary.

As I’ve said I do agree there will be an element of both, certainly. Italy couldn’t afford a repeat of the first half.

But there is a long established pattern to England’s approach when controlling games. Rather than kill those games off they have a really irritating tendency to go into game management mode. It’s not their strong suit, Brian, and it costs them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As I’ve said I do agree there will be an element of both, certainly. Italy couldn’t afford a repeat of the first half.

But there is a long established pattern to England’s approach when controlling games. Rather than kill those games off they have a really irritating tendency to go into game management mode. It’s not their strong suit, Brian, and it costs them.

I did wonder if Grealish’s miss just before half time would prove costly. I suppose it could be argued that England defended superbly. Whatever it was, it was dire watching the second half.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whatever it was, it was dire watching the second half.

Brian, I was at a forum "opportunity" at my golf club - I'd have preferred to watch "Chipping Sodbury Working Mens Institute 3rd Eleven" than listen to the crap by the committee, England would have been awesome !

Swango1980

Visit site
Let's not forget that Italy did not beat us in the Euros final, it was 1-1 and they went on to win the penalty shoot out. After their keeper made two outstanding saves from Saka and Sancho. Which could have been deemed good penalties had the keeper gone the other way.
It's also been said that Italy had a poor team in the Euros, and yes, it wasn't their best but no Italy team are going to let us walk all over them. They deserve more respect than that.
Anyway, onwards and upwards to our next game. 👍
I don't think you need to worry about giving the opponent respect. Southgate gives them tonnes of it