The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Not a great game, but it's been so long.
United have won the cup, well, a cup.
Ten Hag, what a turn around he has orchestrated after taking control of a shambles of a team.
Absolutely superb.
The man is just extraordinary!
Oh, and Casemiro, just magnificent.
And all this after United beat Barcelona less than three days ago!

That’s what happens when you get a proper manager in - he had proven himself at Ajax and reading back it’s staggering that some declared him not good enough after a couple games of the season. His first big task was to bin off Ronaldo - once that was done he could then build a team, Utd had a false dawn under Maureen but Ten Hag is different .

We could see the start of a very competitive next 5 years in the Prem - Arsenal and utd growing , Liverpool will come again , Chelsea will get back Up once they stop playing Championship Manager , City prob relegated down a few divisions could see some very exciting times for a number of clubs

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Amazing how fans call it a Micky Mouse Cup, but the managers put out their strongest teams.
I still smile when I think back to when Tottenham beat Chelsea in 2008, Chelsea fans ringing TalkSport to say “it meant nothing” and “it’s a Micky mouse thing”. Funny how they had all their big hitters playing John Terry, Frank Lampard etc, etc 🤔

It is a fine example of jealousy.

Some fans like to try and belittle other teams acheivements.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s what happens when you get a proper manager in - he had proven himself at Ajax and reading back it’s staggering that some declared him not good enough after a couple games of the season. His first big task was to bin off Ronaldo - once that was done he could then build a team, Utd had a false dawn under Maureen but Ten Hag is different .

We could see the start of a very competitive next 5 years in the Prem - Arsenal and utd growing , Liverpool will come again , Chelsea will get back Up once they stop playing Championship Manager , City prob relegated down a few divisions could see some very exciting times for a number of clubs
Wishfull thinking there.
Dont think they have the nerve to relegate City. ( though if allegations true deserve it)

D

Deleted member 15344

Amazing how fans call it a Micky Mouse Cup, but the managers put out their strongest teams.
I still smile when I think back to when Tottenham beat Chelsea in 2008, Chelsea fans ringing TalkSport to say “it meant nothing” and “it’s a Micky mouse thing”. Funny how they had all their big hitters playing John Terry, Frank Lampard etc, etc 🤔

League Cup has always been a major trophy - plenty of teams over the years have taken it very seriously, recently though a lot of the Prem clubs have used the early rounds to blood in young players or used squad players - especially those in the CL.

It’s certainly there on our champions wall and also counted whenever people look at the most successful in England

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
It is a fourth rate trophy.

Premiership, Champions League and FA Cup are well above this achievement.
I mean, yes. I agree with you. But it’s a bit like people who put down the achievement of winning the charity shield or the European super cup. You don’t get the option if you don’t win a big one.

Id personally want to be in both those games every year!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It is a fourth rate trophy.

Premiership, Champions League and FA Cup are well above this achievement.

But is it? It doesn’t bring the clubs the same money but, apart from the champion’s league, it’s the same clubs competing for those 3 trophies. Same teams have got to be beaten to win them. Yes, ask the clubs which one they’d rather win and the league cup would be bottom of the list but it’s not fourth rate in terms of who has to be beaten to win it.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
But is it? It doesn’t bring the clubs the same money but, apart from the champion’s league, it’s the same clubs competing for those 3 trophies. Same teams have got to be beaten to win them. Yes, ask the clubs which one they’d rather win and the league cup would be bottom of the list but it’s not fourth rate in terms of who has to be beaten to win it.
It is not in the same bracket as the other 3 major competitions. No doubt you have to beat one or two decent teams to lift the trophy but it’s still the runt of the litter

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is not in the same bracket as the other 3 major competitions. No doubt you have to beat one or two decent teams to lift the trophy but it’s still the runt of the litter

...................... and everyone who says it's a mickey mouse trophy would love their team to win it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't regard a league with only 4 or 5 clubs with the resources to win it as competitive, although compared to France, Spain and Germany I guess it is.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I don't regard a league with only 4 or 5 clubs with the resources to win it as competitive, although compared to France, Spain and Germany I guess it is.

It’s far more competitive than other European leagues by virtue of the fact that relegation threatened teams are still often capable of picking up points against title contenders. You don’t tend to see that elsewhere.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not a Toon fan then? 🤣
How come, thought you’d have been shouting for the North East team.

Too many years seeing Newcastle reported first on BBC Look North & ITV Tyne Tees when the Boro & Sunderland were out performing them in the Prem.

There was a time when the northeast development corporation was called ONE Northeast. Locally known as Only Newcastle Exists as that’s all that was ever reported on.

Undoubtedly a bigger club, and with more history but not unhappy they lost today.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
@Hobbit. They will be dancing in the streets of Almeria tonight Brian. Great result

Definitely worth celebrating. I have the FotMob app on the phone, and was tracking the match. Elche in 20th are dead and buried, bottom on 9pts. But Getafe in 19th, 22pts, and Valencia in 18th, 23pts, are easily in touching distance of Almeria in 15th on 25pts. Barcelona are still well clear at the top but beating them 1-0 is the highlight of the season so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Compared to every other top league in Europe it is

Every sport has that level of competitiveness when teams can buy players - look at the top level Rugby , was dominated by Bath then Leicester then Wasps , Saracens then Exeter - all because each could get the best players

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Compared to every other top league in Europe it is

Every sport has that level of competitiveness when teams can buy players - look at the top level Rugby , was dominated by Bath then Leicester then Wasps , Saracens then Exeter - all because each could get the best players
Just because the other European leagues are less competitive than ours, doesn’t make ours a competitive league.

Rugby Union is far more competitive. More than half the teams in the league would have felt that they were in with a chance of winning it at the beginning of the season.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spurs second goal made me smile, Sterling was grappling with the donkey with his back to the corner when the corner was taken Sterling turned towards the ball Kane took a few steps back and was left on his own then scored.

Sterlings look on his face when he was stood on his own was priceless