The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Pickford is prone to errors. So some say Pope should he No.1 because apparently he isn't.

Pickford might be one of the few goalkeepers for England where to position doesn't feel too big for him. Many good goalkeepers look nervy as heck playing for England, whereas Pickford seems to have a mentality where it doesn't phase him. Even if he did make an error, I'd be confident it would diminish his performance thereafter. Water of a ducks back.

I could see a reason for Maguire being picked last season. However, now he is no longer playing at club level, he must be living on borrowed time.

I'm shocked Toney didn't get a chance.

D

Deleted member 15344

TAA best right back in the world ??

Next someone will be telling us Pope is better than Pickford!
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/amazing-trent-alexander-arnold-plays-like-i-did-cafu

but what does Cafu know

I’m not sure why the knives are out for TAA but it shows the issue with England and fans

TAA is a huge talent and has proven it against the biggest teams in club football - yet because a tactically inept manager doesn’t know how to play the best players he is being destroyed by imo club rival fans who can’t take club loyalty out of it when it comes to England

James has made as many errors as TAA -defending but TAA is better on the ball

What James and Walker do have over TAA is pace - which allows them to get back to cover

That’s the biggest issue with TAA - he plays high to create so when play breaks down quickly he looks out of position - at Liverpool the likes of Henderson and Fabinho cover for him and also the pace and ability of VVD can cover .

England have cart horses like Maguire at CB who can’t cover a tent - he is poor on the ball and even worse in the tackle. If England looked at players like Tomori then you could play more attacking right backs and also left back.

But England right now don’t have an identity or a clue on how to play - they use 5 at the back to cover poor CBs and then allow Rice etc to go forward to try and create

It’s a shame Gomez can’t get his form because he has the pace to cover

This would be a better England team imo

Pickford

TAA
Gomez/Tomori
Stones
Chilwell/Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison/Mount

Sterling/Saka
Kane
Foden

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
^^^^^^
You’re missing the massive point that TAA falls asleep at crucial parts of the game and fails in his basic defensive duties. Got caught out in the CL final and has done plenty more times by not being aware of danger.
It’s ok him smashing it going forward and getting cover from CB’s but when the chips are down and you need all 11 players right on it, he’s not the man for the job.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
^^^^^^
You’re missing the massive point that TAA falls asleep at crucial parts of the game and fails in his basic defensive duties. Got caught out in the CL final and has done plenty more times by not being aware of danger.
It’s ok him smashing it going forward and getting cover from CB’s but when the chips are down and you need all 11 players right on it, he’s not the man for the job.

So does Kyle Walker. So does John Stones. So does Luke Shaw.

I prefer to think positive when the chips are up, he's our better option. After all, Gareth plays three at the back so that suits TAA for England?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So does Kyle Walker. So does John Stones. So does Luke Shaw.

I prefer to think positive when the chips are up, he's our better option. After all, Gareth plays three at the back so that suits TAA for England?

step to far.

if he already playing shaw, walker, stones and then the walking mistake of maguire imagine adding TAA.. would be more holes in the back line than a block of swiss cheese

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't disagree, but why do Shaw, Maguire, get a free pass but TAA doesn't?

lack of options most likely. if chillwell hadnt got injured he would have been first choice imo he is fantastic going forward and defending

walker is actually a very good defender

jones no idea. prob years of carrying maigure.

we need better CBs. dier is prob our best atm and thats saying something because hes hardly a terry or a rio. or even a jamie carrager standard.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't disagree, but why do Shaw, Maguire, get a free pass but TAA doesn't?
Southgate will get sacked after the World Cup or he will walk,there’s no doubt about that.
Will be interesting to see who takes over and wether he makes big changes.
Maguire should never have been starting.
Shaw does add balance,can defend,and is fit enough to get forward.
TAA is the best passer of the ball,probably in world football,however his defensive duties betray him and he leaves gaping holes,Gareth has decided he doesn’t want that,Klopp seems not too bothered,although lately it’s costing Liverpool.
Saka imo on the right is almost world class,why Southgate stuck him on the left the other night I’m not sure.
Pope will be out when Pickford is fit,imo Pickford is easily No1.
We did well to fight back to lead last night,however Southgate has to learn from it,or we are not going to be in the World Cup long.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Southgate will get sacked after the World Cup or he will walk,there’s no doubt about that.
Will be interesting to see who takes over and wether he makes big changes.
Maguire should never have been starting.
Shaw does add balance,can defend,and is fit enough to get forward.
TAA is the best passer of the ball,probably in world football,however his defensive duties betray him and he leaves gaping holes,Gareth has decided he doesn’t want that,Klopp seems not too bothered,although lately it’s costing Liverpool.
Saka imo on the right is almost world class,why Southgate stuck him on the left the other night I’m not sure.
Pope will be out when Pickford is fit,imo Pickford is easily No1.
We did well to fight back to lead last night,however Southgate has to learn from it,or we are not going to be in the World Cup long.

I was just sick in my mouth a little. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Messi, Modric, KDB to name a few...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don’t think there’s a pass Trent can’t make that they can tbh
KDB would be my pick though of those you mention.
Messi imo would be more of a dribbler than passer

Its Linekar that always tweets about Messi's passing - I think statistically he's pretty insane - we just don't see it often.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its Linekar that always tweets about Messi's passing - I think statistically he's pretty insane - we just don't see it often.
Well I don’t need Twitter
Twits with infinite time to entertain rubbish
I see it with my own eyes
If you need Twitter or Linekar then I’ve just puked up.

Last edited by a moderator: