The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

RRidges

Visit site
Ok so imagine KBD dislocates his knee after that assault.
His playing days are over because he can’t run anymore.
One of the best players in the world clogged by some hacker
Would your attitude to these tackles change ?
It’s going to happen sooner or later.
I'm inclined to think that PL Football has crossed, or is on, a line where too many tackles are actually meant to injure players - at least to sufficient degree where their performance is restricted. It's something that 'the authorities' have to monitor and state to Refs so that, as a group, they can make consistent rulings. Sure, it's a physical game, but when opposition policy is to use the rules/interpretations to reduce opposition physical effectiveness by injuring them, then it crosses a boundary imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

No
No
No
What a typical piece of crap from you .
No body mentioned non contact.
My views on this type of foul are well known !but at the very least you should go for the ball.

It’s just a foul ? If it’s designed to deliberately injure someone then it’s a red card , if denies a goalscoring opportunity then it’s a red card , other than that then it’s a yellow

A push off the ball could injure someone badly - do you want that as a red as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone point out the howler Pickford has had for England? 45 caps I believe, still waiting for the game where he has let them down.

I would also say, look at how he has played for Everton since January or so. At his best and he has cut out the brain fades which happened when teams, or fans, got under his skin. Pope is excellent, may well be better, but keepers rarely get changed unless the incumbent makes mistakes.

There are bigger problems for England than the goalkeeper position, where there is no actual problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can someone point out the howler Pickford has had for England? 45 caps I believe, still waiting for the game where he has let them down.

I would also say, look at how he has played for Everton since January or so. At his best and he has cut out the brain fades which happened when teams, or fans, got under his skin. Pope is excellent, may well be better, but keepers rarely get changed unless the incumbent makes mistakes.

There are bigger problems for England than the goalkeeper position, where there is no actual problem.
Pope is just a better keeper than Pickford. It's that simple for me. You're supposed to pick your best players aren't you? I hate this argument that he's played well for England - that doesn't make him a different guy. More than half his England games he'll have nothing to do, but if he's liable to make a mistake, which he is, that could come at any time - he's not immune from it happening in an England shirt. Pope is the best English goalie and he should be in the team.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
literally every footballer I follow on Twitter was saying the same
I think there is a degree of conditioning there. It's always happened so what is the problem ?‍♂️.

Remember all the pro's, ex pro's complaining about red cards for swinging arms when jumping? They were outraged, couldn't understand it, said it was impossible. Now it's accepted, apart from some old pro's still ?.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pope is just a better keeper than Pickford. It's that simple for me. You're supposed to pick your best players aren't you? I hate this argument that he's played well for England - that doesn't make him a different guy. More than half his England games he'll have nothing to do, but if he's liable to make a mistake, which he is, that could come at any time - he's not immune from it happening in an England shirt. Pope is the best English goalie and he should be in the team/QUOTE]
45 games, no mistakes. People want him changed but there is no basis for it in an England shirt.

Swango1980

Visit site
Pope is just a better keeper than Pickford. It's that simple for me. You're supposed to pick your best players aren't you? I hate this argument that he's played well for England - that doesn't make him a different guy. More than half his England games he'll have nothing to do, but if he's liable to make a mistake, which he is, that could come at any time - he's not immune from it happening in an England shirt. Pope is the best English goalie and he should be in the team.
It depends of you are just picking players based on their ability on paper, and ignoring the effect such a change could have on mentality and team dynamics.

Pickford is a good keeper. To be fair, even when he has made mistakes he warns to have the sort of mentality that it doesn't weigh him down. He just seems to get on with it.

Let us say you replace him with another keeper, who in some people's opinions is better on paper. There is now much added pressure on this keeper, as they have replaced a guy who has been No.1 for ages and not let England down. Does that play on their mind. Is there extra fear they will make a mistake and then Southgate's decision torn to shreds in the media? It is a big risk. Furthermore, Pickford may well have built up a good relationship with the England defenders, and they know exactly what to expect from Pickford. Again, bring in another guy, it could change the goalkeeper defence relationship for the worse.

It could simply be a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Whether you think Trippier should have seen red or not, I thought it was unusual VAR intervened. I thought thet only did so when they were sure an obvious mistake had been made. Not sure this decision was an obvious mistake. Although rare, I have seen red cards for that type of challenge before, I think Rangers had one at weekend. Could the VAR be certain Trippier wasn't endangering the opponent? I felt it would simply be a case of one of those where, if the ref gives yellow or red, the VAR would simply leave it alone.

Especially considering Stones' challenge in box. Felt it odd that VAR was happy to intervene on the Trippier incident, yet oddly silent when Stone's took out an opponent in the box.

I assume the VAR is allowed toilet breaks during the game, and they just happen to be missing sometimes, and then when they get back they intervene on something else just for the sake of it, to prove they are still there.

D

Deleted member 15344

Whether you think Trippier should have seen red or not, I thought it was unusual VAR intervened. I thought thet only did so when they were sure an obvious mistake had been made. Not sure this decision was an obvious mistake. Although rare, I have seen red cards for that type of challenge before, I think Rangers had one at weekend. Could the VAR be certain Trippier wasn't endangering the opponent? I felt it would simply be a case of one of those where, if the ref gives yellow or red, the VAR would simply leave it alone.

Especially considering Stones' challenge in box. Felt it odd that VAR was happy to intervene on the Trippier incident, yet oddly silent when Stone's took out an opponent in the box.

I assume the VAR is allowed toilet breaks during the game, and they just happen to be missing sometimes, and then when they get back they intervene on something else just for the sake of it, to prove they are still there.

VAR checks all Red Card incidents and going by the letter of the law it was only a red card offence if the player looked to endanger his opponent or excessive force - hence why the ref was asked to check to ensure he was ok with that

All the people within the sport and media on social media were saying that was a perfect example of when VAR is used

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe people are discussing the Trippier card, that was a yellow card all day long. For the ref to give a red he must have had a bad view of it and maybe thought he'd gone with two feet, or studs up on the knee or something. Replay showed it was nothing more than a late tackle that tripped him. Obviously a yellow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends of you are just picking players based on their ability on paper, and ignoring the effect such a change could have on mentality and team dynamics.

Pickford is a good keeper. To be fair, even when he has made mistakes he warns to have the sort of mentality that it doesn't weigh him down. He just seems to get on with it.

Let us say you replace him with another keeper, who in some people's opinions is better on paper. There is now much added pressure on this keeper, as they have replaced a guy who has been No.1 for ages and not let England down. Does that play on their mind. Is there extra fear they will make a mistake and then Southgate's decision torn to shreds in the media? It is a big risk. Furthermore, Pickford may well have built up a good relationship with the England defenders, and they know exactly what to expect from Pickford. Again, bring in another guy, it could change the goalkeeper defence relationship for the worse.

It could simply be a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I just thought the England team was supposed be selected by who is playing well week in week out, i.e., for their clubs. Not that you get an England shirt and it's yours for life until you retire no matter what. This goes for Maguire as well as Pickford. Loads of better options out there. By the time the World Cup arrives, there could easily be three better English keepers than Pickford let alone one. Maguire also shouldn't be in the squad based on his last two years, let alone recent form.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I just thought the England team was supposed be selected by who is playing well week in week out, i.e., for their clubs. Not that you get an England shirt and it's yours for life until you retire no matter what. This goes for Maguire as well as Pickford. Loads of better options out there. By the time the World Cup arrives, there could easily be three better English keepers than Pickford let alone one. Maguire also shouldn't be in the squad based on his last two years, let alone recent form.

True, but you also have to pick players the can play in the style/system you want to play, and that complement each other. Pope is a good shot stopper, he doesn’t offer what Pickford does in other areas.

There are quite a few players who you would assume are already picked that are either not playing, or not playing well. At this point Southgate isn’t going to pick an entirely new team based on current form.

That said. Maguire shouldn’t even be allowed to watch the games just in case…

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't believe people are discussing the Trippier card, that was a yellow card all day long. For the ref to give a red he must have had a bad view of it and maybe thought he'd gone with two feet, or studs up on the knee or something. Replay showed it was nothing more than a late tackle that tripped him. Obviously a yellow.
It wasn't a late tackle. A late tackle is where someone attempts to get the ball and just misses it. Trippier was not attempting to get the ball, that was never in the equation. He was out and out trying to stop KDB, there was no subtlety in what he did.

D

Deleted member 1740

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-southgate-idUKKBN15U0J1

Southgate made it clear 5yrs ago selection for England depends on club form, He dropped Trent based on his club form but has continued to pick Maguire,Pickford and a few others despite their horrific club form/performances.

The last 12 months should’ve been the time to give other players games instead of throwing them into tournament football. Maguire and Pickford will start regardless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-southgate-idUKKBN15U0J1

Southgate made it clear 5yrs ago selection for England depends on club form, He dropped Trent based on his club form but has continued to pick Maguire,Pickford and a few others despite their horrific club form/performances.

The last 12 months should’ve been the time to give other players games instead of throwing them into tournament football. Maguire and Pickford will start regardless.
I'm not sure why Pickford is getting lumped in with Maguire. Pickford is in good form, he is playing well, his confidence is up. He isn't making mistakes, hasn't for quite some time. Maguire however..................

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm not sure why Pickford is getting lumped in with Maguire. Pickford is in good form, he is playing well, his confidence is up. He isn't making mistakes, hasn't for quite some time. Maguire however..................

Have you purposely forgotten the last 2 seasons at Everton when his performances were littered with errors? He’s always confident, a bit too confident at times.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ok so imagine KBD dislocates his knee after that assault.
His playing days are over because he can’t run anymore.
One of the best players in the world clogged by some hacker
Would your attitude to these tackles change ?
It’s going to happen sooner or later.

Personally I have seen hundreds of tackles where City have stopped the opposition from breaking like KDB did yesterday. 99% of them have been professional fouls. The other 1% have been like Trippiers yesterday. He has admitted he did a professional foul and admitted he would do it again. That I don’t have a problem with. But for me, as soon as both feet are off the floor he is out of control and has an early bath.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wasn't a late tackle. A late tackle is where someone attempts to get the ball and just misses it. Trippier was not attempting to get the ball, that was never in the equation. He was out and out trying to stop KDB, there was no subtlety in what he did.
It was in a way, he was too late to make a tackle that wins the ball so he just tripped him instead. :LOL: A foul isn't a red card just because it was deliberate. It happens every single game. When we played Chelsea last week, James rugby tackled Son to the floor to stop a counter attack. Obviously deliberate, but it's a yellow card.

True, but you also have to pick players the can play in the style/system you want to play, and that complement each other. Pope is a good shot stopper, he doesn’t offer what Pickford does in other areas.
Don't set me off, that's another thing I hate. Keepers and centre backs being selected on the basis that they can knock a few passes around - their jobs used to be to keep the ball out of our net first and foremost! The standard of defending across the whole Premier League is worse than 15 years ago since you don't have any of those brick wall no-nonsense defenders anymore. The modern defender is Stones, flimsy and always has a mistake in him, but he can do a Cruyff turn and pass it like your standard defensive midfielder. Woop-ti-doo. Then you've got Maguire who thinks he can be a ball-playing defender and trips over himself.