The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I know. I was equating hair-pulling to it and pointing out that, while an offence, if it happens between 2 players whose antics didn't affect the immediate build up to a goal then VAR had no reason within the laws to draw attention to it.
I'm already struggling to enjoy premier league football. If hair-pulling becomes a specific offence then I may have to stop watching altogether. A better law would be a requirement for players with long hair to tie it in a bun or wear a hair net, like if they worked in a factory or a kitchen.
For what it's worth, I agree with everything you've said about head-butts. Footballers pressing their heads towards each other aren't fighting - they're behaving like beta-male dogs that are desperate to avoid a fight while pretending they're top dog.
I'm not going down the Souness route - rather I wish they'd just play football a bit more like the women managed to over the summer.
But would hair net pulling be an offence :)

D

Deleted member 1740

Your entire post, copied word for word, was:

"In my book it was nothing more than a talking too?

They were at it from the 1st minute and Nunez stupidly fell for Andersens antics. That doesnt defend Nunez at all, by the same token it shouldnt mean Andersen's reaction should be ignored either.

If and its a hypothetical one, Andersen stands firm and not falls the way he did i dont think any other ref gives a red.

You dont think Andersen's reaction doesnt have a massive impact on the decision from the ref? "

I must be blind as a bat, but I really have no idea what you are referring to now. Huge communication break down, or is this an elaborate way of digging yourself out of a hole!? Where does your post say "supposing"? When I have quoted you, I have ensured each time I copied and pasted, rather than paraphrase what you said.

That doesn't stop it from being worse.

Supposing Andersen stands firm from Nunez' reaction, it ends up with a yellow card each.

Nunez succumbed to the dark arts. He's going to face a lot more of that and he needs to be ready for it and learn quick.

This is were my initial post of "supposing Andersen stood firm" came from after you responded to me previously.

I then reiterated my previous point that you've underlined where i quite blatantly say "if and its a hypothetical one, "

See 29678

Stuart_C said:

Supposing Andersen stands firm from Nunez' reaction, it ends up with a yellow card each.

Nunez succumbed to the dark arts. He's going to face a lot more of that and he needs to be ready for it and learn quick.
What do you mean a yellow card each? That indicates that YOU think it should only he a yellow card, and Anderson got him sent off?

Swango said:

Anderson stays on his feet or not, it it a red card all day long. It wasn't forehead to forehead. Nunez headbutted him. Clearly. And, unlike pulling hair, headbutting is an automatic red.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's funny but I've just watched it again on YouTube and Nunez's forehead makes direct contact with Andersens jaw/mouth deliberately, everyone I thought agreed with that, nothing Andersen did after the head butt made any difference. Clearly the ref saw it and didn't consult VAR, he gave a straight red. Andersen went down and that had no bearing on the refs decision.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is were my initial post of "supposing Andersen stood firm" came from after you responded to me previously.

I then reiterated my previous point that you've underlined where i quite blatantly say "if and its a hypothetical one, "

See 29678

Stuart_C said:

What do you mean a yellow card each? That indicates that YOU think it should only he a yellow card, and Anderson got him sent off?

Swango said:

Anderson stays on his feet or not, it it a red card all day long. It wasn't forehead to forehead. Nunez headbutted him. Clearly. And, unlike pulling hair, headbutting is an automatic red.
Right, so you are now expecting me to stitch together multiple posts you've made, because you are unable to make yourself clear in a single post?

Either way, in both the post I quoted, and the post where you used the word "supposedly", it changes absolutely nothing in terms of how a reader is meant to interpret them. I will quote the previous post then, you say:

"Supposing Andersen stands firm from Nunez' reaction, it ends up with a yellow card each."

How can anyone read from that that YOU think Nunez would have had a RED card if Anderson stayed on his feet!? Both this post and the post I quoted seem to be absolutely consistent, to your credit, that you thought it would only be a yellow had the defender not gone down.

Either way, you have now made it clear. Regardless of how Anderson reacted, you are now confirming that you thought Nunez absolutely deserved that red card. So, it appears you are actually in agreement with myself and everyone else who have spoken on this thread. So, no problem. Might have taken some time to communicate that point, but we got there in the end. No point in continuing this particular debate if we are in agreement.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Right, so you are now expecting me to stitch together multiple posts you've made, because you are unable to make yourself clear in a single post?

Either way, in both the post I quoted, and the post where you used the word "supposedly", it changes absolutely nothing in terms of how a reader is meant to interpret them. I will quote the previous post then, you say:

"Supposing Andersen stands firm from Nunez' reaction, it ends up with a yellow card each."

How can anyone read from that that YOU think Nunez would have had a RED card if Anderson stayed on his feet!? Both this post and the post I quoted seem to be absolutely consistent, to your credit, that you thought it would only be a yellow had the defender not gone down.

Either way, you have now made it clear. Regardless of how Anderson reacted, you are now confirming that you thought Nunez absolutely deserved that red card. So, it appears you are actually in agreement with myself and everyone else who have spoken on this thread. So, no problem. Might have taken some time to communicate that point, but we got there in the end. No point in continuing this particular debate if we are in agreement.

What I dont get is the idea Nunez commits a straight red offence, and fans think that if the offended player doesn't down the referee will not observe the rule, and give each player a yellow. Presumably for Andersen his offence citation would merit a Victoria Cross for bravery in the face of the enemy ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m just glad to have the premier league back so we get to enjoy these discussions.

Hopefully Sunderland can get back to back promotions and join in the fun next year

D

Deleted member 1740

You've asked me to show you where i have used the word supposed and i have?‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
Vardy is next on UTD’s wish list isn’t he?
I heard that rumour, yes.

Such a weird one for me. Clearly, it is a sign of Man Utd's disastrous transfer policy and planning, that yet again they need to consider going out to try and get a quick fix.

However, we have Ronaldo and Martial as strikers. Ronaldo doesn't want to be there and may well end up leaving. I call Martial a striker, but he is probably not much more of a striker than Rashford or Elanga, and clearly cannot be relied upon based on his history at the club. I also cannot see United going out and buying a young hot prospect for the future with such a limited time to go. They can't seem to get any decent deals done very well.

So, if United bought Vardy, I would actually be happy enough in the short term. Could be a disaster, maybe he'd be injured all the time. But, he seems the sort of guy that has loads of energy, a strong character and will really get in the faces of opponents. I would give anything just to see a player wear the Utd shirt and have a bit of fight in them. I would even take Tyson Fury in defence. He'd be awful, but he'd have character :)

D

Deleted member 1740

What I dont get is the idea Nunez commits a straight red offence, and fans think that if the offended player doesn't down the referee will not observe the rule, and give each player a yellow. Presumably for Andersen his offence citation would merit a Victoria Cross for bravery in the face of the enemy ?

Thats whats happened for the last 20yrs+ for fouls/pens virtually every game, every week and that is the standard excuse for players diving.

Shame i dont go to church, i'd have lit a candle for Andersen otherwise.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thats whats happened for the last 20yrs+ for fouls/pens virtually every game, every week and that is the standard excuse for players diving.

Shame i dont go to church, i'd have lit a candle for Andersen otherwise.

But we've all agreed that Andersen was butted and Nunez was right to be sent off and that we all know that Andersen wasnt nutted hard enough to fall down.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m just glad to have the premier league back so we get to enjoy these discussions.

Hopefully Sunderland can get back to back promotions and join in the fun next year
Can we have Ellis Simms back please?

How are you dealing with the trauma of Saturday? That keeper was huge though, towered over your defenders (genuine comment, he was huge)

D

Deleted member 1740

Indeed. I wasn't arguing with your response on that matter though, was I? I appreciate that you highlighted it. I was just saying that it changed nothing about the way your posts were interpreted :unsure:

To be honest i really don't know what you're arguing about.

With you, it's like arguing with LiverpoolPhil at times?

Swango1980

Visit site
For the benefit of clubchamp98, I have just heard another person saying that Nunez did not headbutt Anderson. On Talksport, Didi Hamann said it was not a head butt, and felt Nunez just walked into Anderson.

OK, it did promote chuckles from the others on the show (as if he had just claimed the earth was flat). But, I have now at least heard one other person saying it wasn't a headbutt, following my claim on Post 29726 that you were the only one I had heard make that claim.