The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having watched the analysis back, I find out that Taylor & VAR can’t send Romero off for the clear hair pull, nor Taylor work out it’s a foul in real time, but Taylor has apparently given both managers straight red cards because he didn’t like the nature of their handshake. He is an utter Hampton.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gibbs White isn’t worth the money but I’m extremely worried Cooper may walk if he doesn’t get him; he was priority 1 and the Greeks have already bought in 2 players without consulting Him and Dane Murphy (Dennis and Awoniyi).

I know what your saying but they have put some extremely high bids in for him, I think Cooper will stay as he knows if he manages to keep us up, it will enhance his reputation even more.
I think it may off been different if they hadn't bid at all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So pulling hair can’t be given as a foul unless it’s violent conduct and a red?
Spurs equalise from the resulting corner.
That’s VAR logic.
Very poor imo.
That's plain crazy. It's a foul, that should be enough. Presumably, reverse the situation and a penalty is given?

On other news, Chelsea apparently don't have enough players loaned out so they have bid £40m for Anthony Gordon. It's been rejected but the expectation is they will go higher plus possibly add a player in to the offer. I'm not sure I see where he fits in at Chelsea. They seem to have gone crazy this summer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding the referee decisions. The Bentancur tackle, in real time I thought foul, but after several replays I'd say it was inconclusive - one angle looked like he got a toe on the ball, the other angle didn't. Irrespective, I'm sure it was well over a minute before the goal and they wouldn't review it that far back. I also think it's stupid when people are given offside just because it might have unsighted the goalie - they should only be doing that when he's right in front of him. I think it's a cop-out, so I'm glad they didn't do that on this occasion. On the replay after the game you can see that Mendy is looking past Richarlison and his own defender and can see the ball clearly before it's struck, then he's very slow to get down. And if you want to blame anyone for that goal, it's Jorginho for fannying about trying to do tricks in his own penalty area instead of clearing it.

The Romero hair pull is clear as day. They've obviously decided it's a yellow rather than a red, but it is quite stupid that VAR can award a red, but if it's a yellow they can't give the yellow or the free kick they just say "oh well we missed it". I mean they've already done the reviewing so I'm not sure why they don't just give the right decision anyway? That is daft and I totally understand the grievance on that, but that's just the absolute state of the rules since VAR came in.

Romero has quickly become the biggest :poop:house in the league, and while it is quite amusing, it's only a matter of time before he gets sent off in a key match for us. I think the hair pull was retribution for the stamp on him in the first half (although I wouldn't say the stamp was definitely deliberate, it was hard to tell). He's entertaining anyway, it's nice that having lost Lamela we've got someone to pick up the slack on that front. :LOL:

I'm a huge fan of Perisic taking set pieces with both feet as well. Delivered that corner with his left, 3 minutes after taking a free kick from the other side with his right. I love a two-footed player, and Spurs seem to have more than most now.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think the goal would ever be ruled for offside, for getting in the goalkeepers eye line anyway. Last season they allowed Xhaka's goal against United, when the offside player was directly in line with ball and goalie. So, I'm not sure what criteria they use anymore.

Watched MOTD2 and they mentioned that Huth got a retrospective ban 3 game for hair pulling. When it is as blatant as that, it is petulant and not sure why it can't be an automatic red. However, as it is apparently not, I get why VAR could do nothing.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding the referee decisions. The Bentancur tackle, in real time I thought foul, but after several replays I'd say it was inconclusive - one angle looked like he got a toe on the ball, the other angle didn't. Irrespective, I'm sure it was well over a minute before the goal and they wouldn't review it that far back. I also think it's stupid when people are given offside just because it might have unsighted the goalie - they should only be doing that when he's right in front of him. I think it's a cop-out, so I'm glad they didn't do that on this occasion. On the replay after the game you can see that Mendy is looking past Richarlison and his own defender and can see the ball clearly before it's struck, then he's very slow to get down. And if you want to blame anyone for that goal, it's Jorginho for fannying about trying to do tricks in his own penalty area instead of clearing it.

The Romero hair pull is clear as day. They've obviously decided it's a yellow rather than a red, but it is quite stupid that VAR can award a red, but if it's a yellow they can't give the yellow or the free kick they just say "oh well we missed it". I mean they've already done the reviewing so I'm not sure why they don't just give the right decision anyway? That is daft and I totally understand the grievance on that, but that's just the absolute state of the rules since VAR came in.

Romero has quickly become the biggest :poop:house in the league, and while it is quite amusing, it's only a matter of time before he gets sent off in a key match for us. I think the hair pull was retribution for the stamp on him in the first half (although I wouldn't say the stamp was definitely deliberate, it was hard to tell). He's entertaining anyway, it's nice that having lost Lamela we've got someone to pick up the slack on that front. :LOL:

I'm a huge fan of Perisic taking set pieces with both feet as well. Delivered that corner with his left, 3 minutes after taking a free kick from the other side with his right. I love a two-footed player, and Spurs seem to have more than most now.

Nice post.

Was the real reason Chelsea didn't win yesterday down to the fact that couldn't put their chances away after dominating most of the game and their inability to defend a corner in the last minute when no-one in a blue shirt jumped for the ball? Blaming the ref, again, is clutching at straws here really.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

This lot saves me writing it as a neutral and it is quite refreshing to read a post where a fan of said club has not put there rose tinted glasses on.
Re the hair pull, it once more showed the failings of VAR. Stockley park saw the hair pull, they saw the player pulled to the floor, it was intentional, yet not deemed a red. How’s that, it was stupid and if he had walked there was only one person to blame. Yet because VAR rules cannot give a yellow, the Corner stands. advantage Spurs and goal.
If Spurs had not scored, we would be hardly having this discussion. They did and now all of a sudden the ref is a Tit. Yet VAR put him in that position.
I thought the ref had a good game in which player shithousery was taken to another level. I await the next time a players hair is pulled and the “ Perp” is sent off then we can have a 10 page discussion re consistency or inconsistency of referee decisions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This lot saves me writing it as a neutral and it is quite refreshing to read a post where a fan of said club has not put there rose tinted glasses on.
Re the hair pull, it once more showed the failings of VAR. Stockley park saw the hair pull, they saw the player pulled to the floor, it was intentional, yet not deemed a red. How’s that, it was stupid and if he had walked there was only one person to blame. Yet because VAR rules cannot give a yellow, the Corner stands. advantage Spurs and goal.
If Spurs had not scored, we would be hardly having this discussion. They did and now all of a sudden the ref is a Tit. Yet VAR put him in that position.
I thought the ref had a good game in which player shithousery was taken to another level. I await the next time a players hair is pulled and the “ Perp” is sent off then we can have a 10 page discussion re consistency or inconsistency of referee decisions.
I'd agree that it's hard to blame the ref for that one. He's missed an off the ball incident, which happens all the time, after that he's relying on VAR which has said play on. ?‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
It is not necessarily VAR's fault. It depends on what 2 angles (highlighted) that you think should be correct.

If it SHOULD be a red, then yes, the person in VAR is to blame. However, if the hair pulling did not fit the criteria for being a red, then the VAR ref could do nothing. It is not a VAR issue, it is an issue with the laws of the game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd agree that it's hard to blame the ref for that one. He's missed an off the ball incident, which happens all the time, after that he's relying on VAR which has said play on. ?‍♂️
One thing they could change is .
While VAR are looking at an incident the ref could just go and look for himself.
He is just standing on the pitch being harassed by players usually while the game is stopped.
If there needs to be a referral to the monitor he has already seen it again.
He could then make his decision based on what HE thinks not VAR.
In this blatant hair pull he could give a yellow and a foul not a corner.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is not necessarily VAR's fault. It depends on what 2 angles (highlighted) that you think should be correct.

If it SHOULD be a red, then yes, the person in VAR is to blame. However, if the hair pulling did not fit the criteria for being a red, then the VAR ref could do nothing. It is not a VAR issue, it is an issue with the laws of the game.
It’s violent conduct which is a red.