The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
None of those players would last 20 minutes in the modern game.

And before anyone says current players wouldn’t be able to cope with the tackles. The players from past generations wouldn’t get close enough.

Back in the early 2000s I could do a sub 40 minute 10k with dodgy kneels and considered myself fit. At the time I’d played in 5 aside games with players in a PL team. I was out on my arse before they had even got warm.
It's all about training effect though. I reckon if you put those PL players in your 10k, they would be out on their arses at about 5k!
Your other point about players of the past not being quick or fit enough, I'd say that if the George Best were playing now he'd run riot and be priceless!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's all about training effect though. I reckon if you put those PL players in your 10k, they would be out on their arses at about 5k!
Your other point about players of the past not being quick or fit enough, I'd say that if the George Best were playing now he'd run riot and be priceless!
I am firmly in the camp that good players would be good in whatever era. They might have been able to stroll around the pitch in the past but pro's would adapt and have got fitter if they played now. Same footballing quality, just played at a faster tempo. That or get a proper job :LOL:.

From what I've seen, Best on good pitches and no one trying to break his legs would be worth more than a few quid :D

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

George Best would have the skills, but if you dropped him exactly as he was back in his day, he wouldn’t last the first half of a PL game.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I am firmly in the camp that good players would be good in whatever era. They might have been able to stroll around the pitch in the past but pro's would adapt and have got fitter if they played now. Same footballing quality, just played at a faster tempo. That or get a proper job :LOL:.

From what I've seen, Best on good pitches and no one trying to break his legs would be worth more than a few quid :D

When I watch Messi dribble in tight situations I see Best. The likeness, in that respect, is spine tingling.

I played with guy, me at left back and him at LCB. He‘d played for West Brom and remembers the first time he played against Best. He said the only time he got near Best was when they shook hands at the end of the game, and Best wasn’t out of breath.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's amazing how many on here are slagging Southgate off and saying it's time for him to go ................................... but I can't think of anyone who has suggested who his replacement should be.
Any offers?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's amazing how many on here are slagging Southgate off and saying it's time for him to go ................................... but I can't think of anyone who has suggested who his replacement should be.
Any offers?
Bielsa

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’m working in Oldham and had a chinwag with a City fan, he said they’re preparing a 50m bid for Philips ?
Oh and he said Foden IS the next Messiah ?
I don’t think Messi would be the next Messiah in an England team. It must be demoralising being a Top player being coached by Mike Bassett