The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Who's to say those fans who went aren't the old school .. if your club is new and built on recent success the loyals won't be as many.

Liverpool have plastics all over the country from the 80s

They also have sold out season ticket allocations.

Pretty sure most of those going to the games will be ST holders and members who have been to x amount of games.

Nit the plactics that all teams have.

City isn't a new club. They've had a big fan base even during their time back in league 1. Their success is new, which makes it more surprising they can't sell out a semi.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They also have sold out season ticket allocations.

Pretty sure most of those going to the games will be ST holders and members who have been to x amount of games.

Nit the plactics that all teams have.

City isn't a new club. They've had a big fan base even during their time back in league 1. Their success is new, which makes it more surprising they can't sell out a semi.

It's Easter weekend

Stupidly down at Wembley rather than a venue more central to the country

And the trains do work at Easter weekends so was a nightmare

I can see why some people stayed away

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
View attachment 42296

You just can't keep a good GOAT down!
50th club hat-trick ......................................... yes, 50th!

Outrageous. That’s 50 more hat-tricks than I ever managed. Unless, of course, we’re including 3-putts in that - in which case, in comparison to me, he’s a rank amateur.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It's Easter weekend

Stupidly down at Wembley rather than a venue more central to the country

And the trains do work at Easter weekends so was a nightmare

I can see why some people stayed away

I agree about both location and the trains. Still don't see the two biggest clubs in England having this issue.

Maybe fan loyalty is the one thing the money clubs can't replicate.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so frustrating watching Arteta trust players proven not good enough yet again and not prepared to give any of the youth team a chance in the first team, especially after 2 or 3 have already bailed him out when he was forced to play them in the past. didnt want to buy in january but happy to let a handful go out on loan despite glaring holes in the squad but utterly exposed when he doesnt have his perfect XI available, instead we just go back to the full backs pumping in aimless crosses time and time again (spoiler: it doesnt work)

for a club that had a chance of top 4, to not have any adequate cover at full back, central midfield or striker for the second half of the season is utterly laughable. actually in danger of not finishing top 6 let alone in the CL places now. lost our last 3 now and every chance we lose the next 3 against chelsea man u and west ham :(

Swango1980

Visit site
Watching Soccer Saturday program on Sky. Must have the reserve squad in this weekend, no Stelling.

However, absolutely awful. Zero enthusiasm from any of the pundits on the show, even when they were talking live when a goal was scored in their game. Dire.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree about both location and the trains. Still don't see the two biggest clubs in England having this issue.

That sums it up , Liverpool sold out and could have done it twice over - if it was Man Utd it would be full as well - if it was at Old Trafford and Chelsea/Arsenal were playing they would have got there no matter what.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Location helps Liverpool, half of these fans will be from London / the south. No doubt about it . A chance to see their team without traveling far

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That sums it up , Liverpool sold out and could have done it twice over - if it was Man Utd it would be full as well - if it was at Old Trafford and Chelsea/Arsenal were playing they would have got there no matter what.

But I still think, Phil, that semi finals at grounds like Old Trafford and Villa Park were special occasions, far more likely to sell out than Wembley (notwithstanding the different capacities), and fired up the imagination.

Semi finals at Wembley have always felt like odd events. Fans don’t seem to know whether they’re supposed to celebrate like they’re at a final or not. At club level Wembley should be set aside for showpiece matches. And that means finals.

greenone

Visit site

City fail to fill the Etihad on a regular basis. Remember the Liverpool fans in the city end during the champions League semi a few years ago.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Location helps Liverpool, half of these fans will be from London / the south. No doubt about it . A chance to see their team without traveling far
Absolutely rubbish.

I'd be surprised if their tickets went on sale to general public.

They'll members with ticket history. So even if they are form London. They've have spent their cash all season going to Anfield.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't think this is about fan loyalty, it is surely about cost and size of fan base perhaps. Going to Wembley is no longer a novelty for city, it's a regular occurrence. So are big games, in England and Europe. All of this costs money, at a time when finances are stretched more than ever, in recent times. Fans have to pick and choose and city don't have the fanbase to pick up the slack. They may in 10+ years as the pot hunters start to follow them but not yet.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm surprised, bordering amazed, that LPP isn't there! Or are his posts via phone?
I starting to think he is on a stadium ban
Some are getting very obsessed with me - it’s both sweet and scary - maybe you both should find a hobby

But I still think, Phil, that semi finals at grounds like Old Trafford and Villa Park were special occasions, far more likely to sell out than Wembley (notwithstanding the different capacities), and fired up the imagination.

Semi finals at Wembley have always felt like odd events. Fans don’t seem to know whether they’re supposed to celebrate like they’re at a final or not. At club level Wembley should be set aside for showpiece matches. And that means finals.

I agree that the semi finals were better at other grounds and thats how it should - think the issue with Villa park is the size but the FA will now just want to keep the money within Wembley

And yes you should only play at Wembley in a final - it’s how it was when I was growing up

But that imo doesn’t change that the big clubs will sell out their semi final tickets regardless of where they are hosted

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely rubbish.

I'd be surprised if their tickets went on sale to general public.

They'll members with ticket history. So even if they are form London. They've have spent their cash all season going to Anfield.

Can be friends of members,

I know people who are buying hammers memberships now to get tickets for the Frankfurt game before general sale ..

Who's to say they aren't members who pay for a yearly membership? I used to have one £40 a year and prioty booking for cup games etc