The cost of Free Speech in US

D-S

Visit site
A hateful man who has put already grieving parents through another hell. Should have got more punishment, but perhaps that is coming as his defence team accidentally sent his last few years phone records to the opposition lawyers. The texts and other information have already been requested by and sent to Jan 6 prosecutors.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
While I absolutely applaud that this obnoxious man has been dealt with, I do wonder what precedent is being established.

As far as I can make out, he's basically been prosecuted for telling lies that have caused great personal distress (ie. to the parents of a murdered child).
Does this mean that anyone who tells lies and in so doing causes distress could face the same consequences?
If so, how many politicians can we haul up before the beak?
If not, what was special (in legal terms) about the lies he spread that set him apart from other liars?

RRidges

Visit site
It's probably something that will only be identified by subsequent proceedings.
But from what I understand, it's the widespread denial and alternative story of the horrendous truth of the incident!
The internet is a powerful tool, but can easily be misused/abused.
The denial may not have been covered much in UK, but was a pretty big thing here in USA.
Hopefully, the size of the award will deter similar/equivalent activities!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's probably something that will only be identified by subsequent proceedings.
But from what I understand, it's the widespread denial and alternative story of the horrendous truth of the incident!
The internet is a powerful tool, but can easily be misused/abused.
The denial may not have been covered much in UK, but was a pretty big thing here in USA.
Hopefully, the size of the award will deter similar/equivalent activities!
The cross examination of the InfoWars producer Daria Karpova on YT (Law&Crime channel) gives a good idea of the vile rubbish and lies that Alex Jones, supported by an ex-DHS ‘expert’ Wolfgang Halbig, spouted - and how InfoWars let it happen. Alternative Truths etc

D

Deleted member 23270

The news in the USA is reporting that the amount he has to pay might be capped at $1.5m

RRidges

Visit site
The news in the USA is reporting that the amount he has to pay might be capped at $1.5m
Indeed, I've seen something about a reduction. Texas, where trial was held - has a cap on punitive damages of 2* compensatory damages + 750K, so 8.75M. Looks like the largest share is going to go to lawyers - again.