The all things EV chat thread

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I must admit, I’ve enjoyed this thread. It’s made me look at my perceptions and preferences again. Truthfully, where we live now and out lifestyle, I could probably get by with an EV. And whilst I no longer look at the range with such a jaundiced eye, I’m still not convinced about the length of time taken to charge a vehicle.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit, I’ve enjoyed this thread. It’s made me look at my perceptions and preferences again. Truthfully, where we live now and out lifestyle, I could probably get by with an EV. And whilst I no longer look at the range with such a jaundiced eye, I’m still not convinced about the length of time taken to charge a vehicle.

Really comes down to lifestyle

My car (the Kia) is charged to around 90% when I go to work or golf and run down then back up. It grase charges as it were. However if I did at home would be a small top up every day 3 days?

The wife's car (the Hyundai) is now on 63% charge. I will give it a charge when it drops to around 30% or the 30th march (whatever comes sooner) to nudge it back to 80% as the pottering around car. It's been so efficient I have litterally not required plugging it in lol 😆

To answer a question you asked in the past I defo don't feel the need for a second charger , infact since I changed it on 29th Feb I haven't actually charged from it 🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I have noticed is when at full speed (60mph dual carriageway) EVs are definitely noisier.

Been out riding my bike lately and the tyre roar from EVs is louder than other cars.

Might be the weight or type of tyre but it’s definitely louder.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing I have noticed is when at full speed (60mph dual carriageway) EVs are definitely noisier.

Been out riding my bike lately and the tyre roar from EVs is louder than other cars.

Might be the weight or type of tyre but it’s definitely louder.

Not sure how.. maybe the noise of an ICE motor covers up the tyre noise in an ICE car..

having said that.. my EV SUV has 22 inch wheels.... that is the biggest set of wheels that i have ever had. And I am told that I will wear them off in a year due to the weight of the car.. (it is a hidden expense that no one tells you about)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how.. maybe the noise of an ICE motor covers up the tyre noise in an ICE car..

having said that.. my EV SUV has 22 inch wheels.... that is the biggest set of wheels that i have ever had. And I am told that I will wear them off in a year due to the weight of the car.. (it is a hidden expense that no one tells you about)
I am outside the cars on the cycleway
When an ice car is cruising you can’t really hear the engine, lower gear yes.

But just my observation but EV road roar is higher.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a YouTube guy who explained how EVs use different tyres. Some engineer from America, explains a lot about torque and stuff. Engineering Explained. Knows his numbers, but hard to watch for a long time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a YouTube guy who explained how EVs use different tyres. Some engineer from America, explains a lot about torque and stuff. Engineering Explained. Knows his numbers, but hard to watch for a long time.

Do they? Mine are the same you buy for any car but they are XL load rated which many other cars use

You can get EV tyres but they seem more of a fad to get you to spend more money

My vauxhall tyres did 28k miles and had 3mm tread front and 5mm tread back after 3 years just standard premium brand

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do they? Mine are the same you buy for any car but they are XL load rated which many other cars use

You can get EV tyres but they seem more of a fad to get you to spend more money

My vauxhall tyres did 28k miles and had 3mm tread front and 5mm tread back after 3 years just standard premium brand

The general consensus on the Ioniq FB pages is that EV tyres are designed purely to get more money out of motorists. Any suitably rated tyre will do the job and you definitely don’t have to pay the additional £££‘a for the luxury!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it's not a EV, just a mild hybrid, but I drove my wife's new Hyundai i30 for the first time the other day.
The high degree of engine braking on the overrun had me puzzled for a while until I twigged it was regenerative braking. Takes a bit of getting used to.

But thing that really irritates me (and my wife) is that it is festooned with a myriad of bells, whistles and functions which you really don't need.
The manual is about as thick as War and Peace. I assumed it would be in multiple languages until I opened it!
Why are modern cars adorned with so much frivolity? It's just lots of extra stuff that could go wrong. And if they left it all off, they could probably charge £2k less.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This popped up on my LinkedIn feed earlier today....
1710958540769.png

I've no idea of the cost of getting one installed but at least there's government help available towards the cost of it. Not having a drive is one of the big issues raised when it comes to home charging, although I'm not totally convinced that this is the solution hopefully it's a step in the right direction. Unless there is allocated on street parking I don't see how someone could rely on it as a solution if other people could park in that space and block access to home charging.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Done a real mixture of driving over the past few days

Left the golf club Monday with 99% battery

Home 4 miles (local roads)
Work and back 50 miles (mostly dual carriageway 50 limit)
Golf today 42 miles (motorway)

96 miles

Did normal motorway speeds , 50 on way to work etc , air con on

35% battery used

4.23 miles per kWh on average

274 range based on that

Can't be disappointed with that

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This popped up on my LinkedIn feed earlier today....
View attachment 52463

I've no idea of the cost of getting one installed but at least there's government help available towards the cost of it. Not having a drive is one of the big issues raised when it comes to home charging, although I'm not totally convinced that this is the solution hopefully it's a step in the right direction. Unless there is allocated on street parking I don't see how someone could rely on it as a solution if other people could park in that space and block access to home charging.
It’s popping up in socials.. as you say it is an another good step in the right direction.. they need more kerb side charging.

How soon before someone who identifies themselves as a cyclist trips over this while riding on the pavement and the govt will end up banning it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s popping up in socials.. as you say it is an another good step in the right direction.. they need more kerb side charging.

How soon before someone who identifies themselves as a cyclist trips over this while riding on the pavement and the govt will end up banning it

Considering it's actually an offense to cycle on the pavement I think we can chalk that one down to jog on cyclists

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having checked the last two MOT certificates for my current car I'm coming round to the idea of getting myself an EV. Last year I did 4100 miles in my car, the year before that was 4400 miles. Working offshore for 6 months of the year certainly cuts down on my driving distances. Having said that Mrs Colch only did just over 5000 miles in her car in each of the last two years. Based on that mileage I could easily get rid of my car for an EV and keep Mrs Colch's diesel Zafira for towing and longer trips. It does seem a shame to get rid of my car that has only done just over 80000 miles but I'm certainly seeing the attraction of the EV route, especially as I can charge on my drive and am already with Octopus who have some decent EV tariffs.

The only thing holding me back is that we're likely to move house in the next two to three years which would mean having to get a new charger fitted. Torn between pulling the trigger now and waiting until we move and then going for it. Also need to decide if I'd be better off getting solar panels and a battery fitted first and then going for EV or the other way round, which comes back to whether it's worth doing now or waiting until we move and getting solar at the new house. Third option I suppose is to go EV now with home charger and then getting solar once we move. Decisions, decisions.