The 150th Open

D

Deleted member 15344

It's very relevant. If not, by your logic, they could play the Open on a minigolf track through the hoops, under the bridge, down the ramp. Hey, it's about who scores best.

Seriously, the length of the ball is a travesty. TOC has been humiliated and its desecration will continue for the next three days. Its almost a 3 club challenge: 2 iron, wedge, putter. That's not the way to find the champion golfer of the year. Its a subset of proper golf. How many shots to a par 4 were hit today with clubs longer than a 5 iron ? In a real test, half of all shots should be.
I weep for The Open Championship.

Give it a rest - if you don’t like it don’t watch

Half the field is currently over par

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just seen this comment from Matt Fitzpatrick on the 6:09 round:
“It’s sad, really. Should never happen in golf. They have to bring back the wound balata ball.”

How is hitting it shorter going to make it quicker? Don’t see that doing anything more than slowing it further.

With regards to modern equipment, it’s a level playing field. Which as others have mentioned, brings it back to the better golfers. These guys are absolute athletes compared to the golfers of old, or joe average club golfer, but only 30% are under par, it isn’t being ripped apart, even with the fairly benign conditions. Even if it was, it will still be won by the best player.

Personally, I’ve really enjoyed watching it today, there’s been some wonderful shots played out there. Am looking forward to day 2 ?️‍♂️?

RRidges

Visit site
It's very relevant. If not, by your logic, they could play the Open on a minigolf track through the hoops, under the bridge, down the ramp. Hey, it's about who scores best.
Absolutely not! Apart from it being about who scores best. This year happens to be a remarkable year for conditions. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this is a general trend. It's very little to do with balls either, apart from players bravery!
TOC rewards being straight far more than than being long. But being both is the best of all and it'll be the player that does both, and putts well, that'll win. I'm favouring Rory currently.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
"The grandstands, not an empty seat". You're right Andrew, there's not an empty seat; there's dozens of them. Why do they spout such :poop: when the cameras clearly make out to be liars?
This is my beef. As Tiger hit 6 over Radar said "this is sad to watch". I'm convinced that the producer then gave him a bollocking with a "no negativity" warning as from that point the three commentators started to blow smoke up Tigers ****, and spouting such rubbish that anyone with eyes and half a brain cell could see was nonsense.

D

Deleted member 15344

The 13th has been great fun to watch today a true test
They said there were only 2 birdies there all day - will be interesting to see how long the putts were and if from close range how they heck they managed to get it close

evemccc

Visit site
This is my beef. As Tiger hit 6 over Radar said "this is sad to watch". I'm convinced that the producer then gave him a bollocking with a "no negativity" warning as from that point the three commentators started to blow smoke up Tigers ****, and spouting such rubbish that anyone with eyes and half a brain cell could see was nonsense.

Sport’s TV commentary is mostly just cheerleading now..

I’d love there to be an option of TV sport of turning off the commentary and just having the natural noise of the ball/club, bat/ball, ball and crowd noise only

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Excluding 3 people, nobody has shot better than -4. I’d hardly say that’s the course being ripped apart.

For me it has been a very good first championship round on a links. Looking forward to a bit more unpredictability as the course dries more and hopefully we get a bit of wind to raise the difficulty level.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone tried the train to Leechars? The advice is strongly against but having booked months before going to chance it tomorrow.

RRidges

Visit site
Anyone tried the train to Leechars? The advice is strongly against but having booked months before going to chance it tomorrow.
Good luck. I heard there were disruptions forecast, but that might be just rumours. Train staff could well be he best to advise alternatives if there are problems.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also, the website says:

No professional cameras and video cameras or any photographic equipment used for commercial purposes.

Would my basic dslr with a basic 70-300mm zoom lens be ok or deemed ”professional”?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
TOC is to golf what Monaco is to F1. Obsolete. Some may be upset about that, and the players may say how much they love the romance of the place as the drivers do in F1.

But, it’s not been a suitable Open venue for a very long time.

AussieKB

Visit site
If St. Andrews came along now and asked to hold the Open, they would be laughed at, too many drive-able Par 4's and the Opening tee shot is a laugh, an iron off the tee, I know when I go to watch the Pro's, it is about them hitting the Driver, fairway woods and long irons,
plus the 18th is a very poor finishing hole, come the 72nd hole needing a par to win, where is the pressure ?
But because of tradition it will always be on the rota.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If St. Andrews came along now and asked to hold the Open, they would be laughed at, too many drive-able Par 4's and the Opening tee shot is a laugh, an iron off the tee, I know when I go to watch the Pro's, it is about them hitting the Driver, fairway woods and long irons,
plus the 18th is a very poor finishing hole, come the 72nd hole needing a par to win, where is the pressure ?

The 18th may not be the hardest hole, but the 17th could well be where it is won and lost on Sunday.

RRidges

Visit site
It's still the course where most Pros would prefer to win at though!
What if, come the 72nd hole, you needed a birdie to win or force playoff, It's a great hole for that situation. The particularly good weather that has made the course rock hard has certainly had an effect this year though. Tournament golf is still a battle between players, with the course merely the board on which he battle is fought. Augusta's finishing hole isn't a particular challenging one either btw!