The 150th Open

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I really feel for McIlroy. His swagger of old has been back this week, but the putter today was just cold from 15-20 feet. If one or two had dropped, different story.

I also think there’s a lot of merit in the suggestion that playing with a really flat Hovland did not help him. It would have been interesting to see if he would have fired had Hovland been on his game.

I’ve been in the camp for some time which leans towards Rory not winning another major. If he continues to put himself in positions like he did over the first three days I’ll gladly have a rethink. I desperately wanted to see him get over the line today.

But the final word has to go to Cam Smith. He’s been knocking on the door a while, but his performance today has been phenomenal. A closing 64 with a breathtakingly good back nine makes him a fully deserving winner.

Hovland & McIlroy together & chasing on Saturday; 66 & 66
Smith & Young top of the board Saturday; 73 & 71

Hovland & McIlroy top of the board Sunday; 74 & 70
Smith & Young chasing on Sunday; 64 & 65

Didn't seem to help Smith on Saturday when Young was a bit flat either. Whether it's the pressure of leading, not bouncing off your opponent or both I'll never know, but I think there's something in it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Definitely not a Rory bottle job at all, but I still think that if his putting and wedge play were just a few percent better, he would have won today.