The 150th Open

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
McGinley just stated that 17 and 18 are playing the hardest 2 holes today. 17 is always going to be the hardest, but 18 being so tough seems to negate your post. A trap, including OB waiting for the unwary/too aggressive perhaps. A few potential champions have certainly failed on it. The fact that it varies between a tricky Par 3 and a tough Par 4 makes it a hole much more thrilling for a close finish, and a chance for the champion to drink in his glory if there's a healthy margin.

hitting it OOB for these guys at 18 almost impossible (coming from someone who has done so lol)

RRidges

Visit site
hitting it OOB for these guys at 18 almost impossible (coming from someone who has done so lol)
Remember that there's more than 1 OB area on 18. Beyond the green is the most likely one for these guys as opposed to right for ams.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't shoot the messenger! That's what he stated, though he could be wrong or I could have misheard.

He was talking about 16th not 18th

The 18th is playing one of the easiest holes on the course currently - needs to be an awful shocker of a shot to go OOB right and there isn’t anyone who can go OOB behind the green unless they unleash a monster

Swango1980

Visit site
McGinley just stated that 17 and 18 are playing the hardest 2 holes today. 17 is always going to be the hardest, but 18 being so tough seems to negate your post. A trap, including OB waiting for the unwary/too aggressive perhaps. A few potential champions have certainly failed on it. The fact that it varies between a tricky Par 3 and a tough Par 4 makes it a hole much more thrilling for a close finish, and a chance for the champion to drink in his glory if there's a healthy margin.
The Open website indicate 18th was playing the easiest hole today. Definitely cross wires somewhere.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember that there's more than 1 OB area on 18. Beyond the green is the most likely one for these guys as opposed to right for ams.

Or left. I might have managed that once or twice during my time up there. Aim left so that my slice brings it back and then hit a draw/hook.

Swango1980

Visit site
Golf is a game of integrity. Unless you've never been in a gorse bush, and then you can spent about 20 minutes incoherently trying to suggest you get free relief because of a grandstand, and then hope the rules officials finally back you.

Should his marker not come and give their opinion if it is a realistic shot? Protecting the field and all that.

D

Deleted member 15344

The spirit of Mickelson is alive and well there.

It’s disappointing to see players trying that but it’s happened so often it’s not a surprise

Clearly Morikawa wasn’t happy with such a long wait

And how laid back is Smith - stunning round of golf

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I just think the easiest way to avoid these situations is to make the stands viewed as part of the course. Wouldn't that also have the added benefit that players wouldn't actively aim at them, and so less spectators getting hit?