The 150th Open

Barking_Mad

Visit site
As per fundy. It was a nonsense. He tried to suggest he could get a swing on it and get it out of a bush/patch . I've got more chance of teeing up at The Masters than any golfer would have of hitting that and getting it out.

Most people would have laughed upon hearing the request. Fair play to the ref for keeping a straight face and not even raising an eyebrow.

"I've never hit from a gorse bush, so I don't know"

?

FXuZmpcVQAEedoC.jpg

Also whoever found his ball stood on it and I got the impression (conjecture) that he was trying to replace it in a more favourable position so he could claim that he could get a swing at it and claim line of sight. .

RRidges

Visit site
Just did a quick check - top 10 & ties against OWGR and found the following.
6, 32, 2,9,18,1,27,40,46,4,63
Seems a pretty solid 'best in the world' leaderboard to me. With a few outliers in there too.
Looking forward to the final couple of rounds
DJ out with Rory tomorrow? That could be an interesting 18 hole long chat... :)
Spoilt by Hovland.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another fantastic day’s golf, there is such an amazing atmosphere to the whole place.

Missed a lot of the action today though I have to admit. Just didn’t get my positioning around the course right today but happy with what I did watch. Missing Tiger’s walk up 18 annoyed me, really wanted to witness it but we ended delayed by lunch and at the wrong end of the course.

Back again tomorrow to do it all again. Weather is looking glorious again.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Another fantastic day’s golf, there is such an amazing atmosphere to the whole place.

Missed a lot of the action today though I have to admit. Just didn’t get my positioning around the course right today but happy with what I did watch. Missing Tiger’s walk up 18 annoyed me, really wanted to witness it but we ended delayed by lunch and at the wrong end of the course.

Glad you’re enjoying it Jim, I’ve got Family going down on Sunday, pour yourself a dram and watch Tiger going down the last, pretty emotional stuff ?
Saying that you might cry after the dram ??

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad you’re enjoying it Jim, I’ve got Family going down on Sunday, pour yourself a dram and watch Tiger going down the last, pretty emotional stuff ?
Saying that you might cry after the dram ??

I might be asleep before I finish it! It’s been another long day. ?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had an amazing day. The train down was empty. The train back is full as it’s only 3 cars but ok. Transfers to/from Leuchars were easy.

Anyone complaining about the Old hosting the Open is missing the point (imho). The atmosphere is amazing and the play varies enough to keep it challenging / entertaining.

Seeing Tiger down 18th was a highlight. Rory got louder reception than any other player throughout.

TigerTime

Visit site
WOW what a day. My first Open, and what a special one it was. I'm gutted I won't be there this weekend looking at the leaderboard.

DJ's tee shot on 4 landed about an arms length from my feet and there wasn't even a fore shout. Took me by complete surprise and I absolutely bricked it!

Those scenes with Tiger on the last, what a moment. I'll never forget that. My first and probably last time seeing him in action. The man just has that aura. St Andrews has that aura about it. Magic.

D

Deleted member 15344

The last couple of posts just highlight exactly why The Open will always be going to TOC , I have been to a few at other courses but never been lucky enough to be at one at St Andrew’s

The players understand how special it is , the people that go understand that as well - It doesn’t matter what the winning score is , there will never be a better aura and feeling for a player walking down that 18th

There is a reason why Jack Nicklaus , Tom Watson etc wanted to say their Open goodbyes there - because it’s special and no other course in the world can touch it when The Open is in town

Springveldt

Visit site
"I've never hit from a gorse bush, so I don't know"

?

View attachment 43506

Also whoever found his ball stood on it and I got the impression (conjecture) that he was trying to replace it in a more favourable position so he could claim that he could get a swing at it and claim line of sight. .
I couldn’t believe how he could not be embarrassed by what he was trying to claim. Xander also stood on the ball and was definitely trying to move it when replacing and the official was having none of it by telling him to just fork up the ball impression and replace.

The official had the patience of a saint, if that was me I’d have been like “are you having a laugh? Seriously? You’re not getting a free drop from the middle of a gorse bush ffs”.

He has no shame for even attempting to claim that and then argue for 10 minutes about it.

Colin Hunter

Visit site
This is the 3rd in a series of poems to celebrate the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews. The cut for the last round is about to be made and they say whoever has the most control over the golf ball for the last two rounds will be the winner of The Claret Jug. Is this really true or is there perhaps somebody else who may have a little say in the outcome.

D

Deleted member 1740

No need for waterproofs then Jim??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As they were taking 6 hours as 3 balls to get round it seems reasonable to suggest that 5 hours is likely as 2 balls...
Why are they teeing off ay 8.35 with the last group going out at 3.55?
The ,eaders will be finishing around 9pm..
Surely it would make more sense to start at 7.30 and have the last group out at 3...?
Why leave it so late?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As they were taking 6 hours as 3 balls to get round it seems reasonable to suggest that 5 hours is likely as 2 balls...
Surely it would make more sense to start at 7.30 and have the last group out at 3...?
Why leave it so late?
For US tv perhaps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why leave it so late?

7.30 start means a pro arriving at the course at about 5.30 in order to complete pre round practice regime. Which means all the staff have to start about 5am.

It is a lot warmer at 9-10pm than it is at 7.30am.

The commentators were putting the slow play down to the length the pros now hit, with a lot more par 4s being reachable with the tee shot and shared greens has always made St. Andrews slower.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
7.30 start means a pro arriving at the course at about 5.30 in order to complete pre round practice regime. Which means all the staff have to start about 5am.

It is a lot warmer at 9-10pm than it is at 7.30am.

The commentators were putting the slow play down to the length the pros now hit, with a lot more par 4s being reachable with the tee shot and shared greens has always made St. Andrews slower.
They've been starting at 6.35 the last 2 days......
The reasons for the pace of play are well known but it only takes a couple of Schauffele-style incidents and it gets worse.
Plus, if the forecasts are correct, it's going to cloud over from about 8 and that'll drop the light levels....I can just see Rory or Smith trying to read the break on the 18th Green illuminated by headlights...:ROFLMAO:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
They've been starting at 6.35 the last 2 days......
The reasons for the pace of play are well known but it only takes a couple of Schauffele-style incidents and it gets worse.
Plus, if the forecasts are correct, it's going to cloud over from about 8 and that'll drop the light levels....I can just see Rory or Smith trying to read the break on the 18th Green illuminated by headlights...:ROFLMAO:
Glorious sunshine up here - Costa Del Fife - sunset at 9.50pm - they'll be fine