That time of the year again...renewals. When do you say enough is enough?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bren I would forget the money mate I paid I joining fee when I joined my club to as did many but over the last few years new members have not had too it doesn't benefit us in any way just what it was at the time but nowt can be done now. I feel I know where you are coming from though as galgorm is close to 900 but our subs now run April to April which is much better although with the new fun 9 being introduced God knows what the subs will be come April 2015.
Not sure how many qualifiers we have had and we also have the rubbish pairs things in oct as a wind down, but with time constraints it helps more people get out (our time sheet can be booked to after 3)
Now the positive for you is that you have a very good choice of courses local to you to chooses from if you so decide so I would give it some thought. I would love to move as I'm fed up with losing the course for the northern open challenge and before the event the course is below par as it is being looked after for the event. I live only a few miles from galgorm though and pass it on route home from work the only other local course is ballymena and its 8 miles away and is not the best.
Think about what u want, but if it was me I would be looking at others especially clandeboye.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I moved on a year ago, after getting on 30yrs at what is now my last club. It was a difficult decision, leaving so many good friends, but my decision was based on a lack of ambition, or perhaps more pointedly a stifling of ambition, for the course. The quality of the course, especially the greens, is very good But down the years other clubs in the area have passed it by... as a trend, it was worrying and I could only see things continuing. Sometimes you've just got to accept it doesn't satisfy you, and move on.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I moved on a year ago, after getting on 30yrs at what is now my last club. It was a difficult decision, leaving so many good friends, but my decision was based on a lack of ambition, or perhaps more pointedly a stifling of ambition, for the course. The quality of the course, especially the greens, is very good But down the years other clubs in the area have passed it by... as a trend, it was worrying and I could only see things continuing. Sometimes you've just got to accept it doesn't satisfy you, and move on.

30 years... that is a long time to up sticks. Thanks for that, I am going to speak to the other 3 guys in the fourball and see what they think, I believe 1 of them is open to moving himself too as he has mentioned the 1k mark also before, his business partner is a member of the club that I am thinking about moving to, all 4 of us are annoyed at the state of the course in the winter and lack of ideas.
I checked their website again last night while mulling it over and noticed that I already know a few guys playing there. I worked with one and the other I played with for a couple of years back in the late 90's early 00's.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Ours is 1st June and seems a much better plan!

I'm a member of a Royal Chartered Institute and my subs are due on the 1st July. And the reason they have done this is that research has shown people are much more likely to spend money on non essential items such as renewing subs in the summer than they are in the middle of winter. And that's for an institute, when you add on the ability to play golf in the summer compared to the winter there should be a really good excuse not to make the subs due in the summer

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bren I would forget the money mate I paid I joining fee when I joined my club to as did many but over the last few years new members have not had too it doesn't benefit us in any way just what it was at the time but nowt can be done now. I feel I know where you are coming from though as galgorm is close to 900 but our subs now run April to April which is much better although with the new fun 9 being introduced God knows what the subs will be come April 2015.
Not sure how many qualifiers we have had and we also have the rubbish pairs things in oct as a wind down, but with time constraints it helps more people get out (our time sheet can be booked to after 3)
Now the positive for you is that you have a very good choice of courses local to you to chooses from if you so decide so I would give it some thought. I would love to move as I'm fed up with losing the course for the northern open challenge and before the event the course is below par as it is being looked after for the event. I live only a few miles from galgorm though and pass it on route home from work the only other local course is ballymena and its 8 miles away and is not the best.
Think about what u want, but if it was me I would be looking at others especially clandeboye.

The money spent on membership isnt a problem to look past really, the joining fee though was assisted by my inlaws at the time as we had just moved house etc and I probably couldnt have gotten the 2.5k needed to join at the time, I think they saw it as a bit of an investment that my daughter(s, was only 1 at the time) would join and take up the game too. I suppose that could still happen at a new place though.
Your place is nice, I cant believe they would let it sit before the Northern Open, surely its as advantageous to keep it in top condition?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a major gripe about our club membership package and feel existing members have had their noses pushed out a wee bit!

The renewal package is £870 this year which is due in jan which is going to be a struggler for some.To attract new members they have put on special deals @ £640 for singles and have also introduced a couples package for £1200 both deals are great for new customers.

My gripe is that there is no incentive for the existing members and as me and my wife both play our subs will cost £1740 (£540 more than new members). I have raised a question why not change the renewal date till march and perhaps this years subscription would run until March 2016 . Unfortunately both ideas were rejected.

I feel the proportion of new offers and trying to keep the existing members is way off.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a major gripe about our club membership package and feel existing members have had their noses pushed out a wee bit!

The renewal package is £870 this year which is due in jan which is going to be a struggler for some.To attract new members they have put on special deals @ £640 for singles and have also introduced a couples package for £1200 both deals are great for new customers.

My gripe is that there is no incentive for the existing members and as me and my wife both play our subs will cost £1740 (£540 more than new members). I have raised a question why not change the renewal date till march and perhaps this years subscription would run until March 2016 . Unfortunately both ideas were rejected.

I feel the proportion of new offers and trying to keep the existing members is way off.

That is harsh, £540 difference!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not so much the let it sit but having been used to quality greens etc all year round we now have them a bit hairy and not ironed for part of the summer so that they are tip top for the pros two years ago they were awful this summer not as bad so let's see what next summer brings. The event is 3rd August w/c so my summer hols booked the week before and this week so I dont miss out too much. Good luck with your decision perhaps talk to the in laws? And if you fancy a knock next year drop me a pm.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I know of 2 clubs that did a similar 'promotion', 1 of which was an incredible deal by a prestige club!

They lost more members than they gained and most of the leavers cited that 'deal' as the reason! There are much better ways to incentivise membership for new joiners than deals the upset existing ones!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

It's a tricky one as they may have worked out that if they do not attract new members then they are screwed in the short/medium term. But as you say they need to look after existing members as well.

How was this handled? If the club had made the existing members aware of this and explained why they were doing it and what they were intending to do with the revenue from these new members then it may have made it better. If it just came out with little or no communication then someone running the place needs to think a bit about how to run a business

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not 100% sure how the new deals came about as we missed the meeting due to a holiday abroad in November. Saying that though it was only put in place within the last few weeks and the 1st I heard about it was via an email. I have emailed the manager and expressed my concerns but will talk face to face on Saturday about how we can make more attractive packages for us existing bods and hopefully understand the rationale etc.

on the plus side if you are looking to join a great friendly club you can't beat the offers we have in place :thup:

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a similar issue at my old club, they dropped the joining fee and reduced the rates for new members and bumped up the cost for existing members to help cover it.

That was one of the reasons I left.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is happening in our place aswell membership is down from €800 to €750 , new members are €500 one off ,

They have incentivised (sp) it offering any member that proposes a new member gets discounted to €500 aswell

I have 3 vouchers to the value of €150 so cheap years golfing for me

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like your on the ledge just wishing some one would push you mate,

I wouldnt pay that much for such a small amount of qualifiers anyhow , not even that youd play in them all but you at least have the option , sounds like the committee is set in its own ways , you could maybe get a petition up asking for more qualifiers and if you can get enough people to sign it , it might change ..

I wouldnt let what i have previously paid influence my staying or going (unlees it had only been last year , not so in ur case tho)
This is it though Bill. The average age says to me that nothing is going to change any time soon. Costs seem to get saved in the wrong places imho. The likes of captains day this year, nicknamed "the accountants dream" a painting was first prize. And not much was laid on for our entry fee neither.
Id love to see what other clubs wage bill is per year. I was reading over last years accounts and it is massive.... greens, admin, bar, house and cleaning. Just another reason jacking up fees isnt on.

Last edited:

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You've done well in 10 years then! I joined just over 4 years ago at £735 plus £500 joining fee. That has now been scrapped and fees are now £944 plus Union fees! Not happy at the cost increases but still cheaper than most in the area, just. Last year had a big increase as had a major problem with our 4th that needed a lot of work done. Again this year up another £50 to cover the cost of new equipment. The course has been at its best this year with the help of a new head green keeper. Our loan for the new clubhouse will be repaid in the next 3 years so should see a reduction but I won't hold my breathe.

All that said I still can't see myself going anywhere else.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is it though Bill. The average age says to me that nothing is going to change any time soon. Costs seem to get saved in the wrong places imho. The likes of captains day this year, nicknamed "the accountants dream" a painting was first prize. And not much was laid on for our entry fee neither.
Id love to see what other clubs wage bill is per year. I was reading over last years accounts and it is massive.... greens, admin, bar, house and cleaning. Just another reason jacking up fees isnt on.

Just your posts alone mate tell me its time for u to go , ur positive/negatives list is the way to go , see them all in writing and decide , forget the debating then and go positively with the decision u make