Texas Scramble - Drop or Place?

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in our clubs bank holiday Texas scramble yesterday. After having picked the best shot, we continued to drop the other 3 players balls within a one club length distance, we dropped if on the fairway or in the rough. After looking down the ninth we realised the group behind were placing with a clubs length on the fairway and started to question ourselves as to whether we should be dropping or placing.. Moving down the 11th we saw the group in front placing as well...

What should we have been doing? Dropping or placing? Surely if your placing you are getting preferred lies and could sit the ball up on a nice little tuft of grass. Anyone know an answer or is it competition dependant?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Placing within 6"? Not sure whether it's a local rule conp prefrence or not. But if you consider your concern about placing on a nice tuft. The shot you choose could be on a slope close to but not in some C**P. All balls dropped would roll into the C**P. Is that fairer or less fair. Placing seems more consistent with playing from the spot and lie of the chosen ball which is what TS is about. But I think I've exactly what you did. My group dropped (in ignorance if I recall) whilst all others placed.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not sure if it's a rule or club dependant but at my place it is drop within a club length. We have a scramble at Xmas when winter rules are on, that is drop then place within 6 inches.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every Texas Scramble I've played this year, and that's a few, has been drop within 6" except for on the green when it is place. Always check with the organisers before starting.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Place within 6" on fairway and drop elsewhere, not nearer the hole

This is at ours as well but I'd guess it's decided by each club's committee. I don't think there will be an "official" rule as a scramble isn't recognised as a proper competition format by the R&A.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As is being said, it's entirely a matter for the organisers to set the rules for dropping or placing.

whilst some posting are sugesting that there is a 'standard' the reality is that it's the organisers responsibility to set out all the rules, as you say - there is no one set of rules for scrambles!

failure to set all this out, inc handicapping, is what turns such fun events into bun fights sadly

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
whilst some posting are sugesting that there is a 'standard' the reality is that it's the organisers responsibility to set out all the rules, as you say - there is no one set of rules for scrambles!

failure to set all this out, inc handicapping, is what turns such fun events into bun fights sadly

Agree absolutely - a copy of our Texas Scramble rules is given to every team for any Texas Scrambles played at our club.