Temporary Greens

Hackers76

Visit site
I played Cosby golf club in Leicester this week, it was my first time and the course was lovely. We were advised the day before that work was underway on some greens and we would have 9 temps. All fine and a great day was had.

However I was surprised that there was no information given on revised yardages for the affected holes. Given some were semi blind or long par 3’s it made club selection very difficult.

I would have thought a sheet in the pro shop showing hole 1 less 30 yards for middle of green for example would have been quite easy to do. Am I expecting too much or does this normally happen? Now I never play on temps as my home club never has them (we have 3 sets of 9’s which helps!) so I don’t know what the norm is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would find that difficult too as I don't have a rangefinder, I use a GPS app. So I'd have to estimate how much closer than the real pin the temp pin was. I'd agree with you, giving players the new yardage would be helpful I think, particularly on the par 3s.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Helpful maybe. Essential no. Players have no entitlement to know distances. Judgement is part of the game. IMO the only justification for DMDs is potential time saving.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Helpful maybe. Essential no. Players have no entitlement to know distances. Judgement is part of the game. IMO the only justification for DMDs is potential time saving.
Although I agree it is not essential and there does not exist an entitlement.
I don't think time saving is the only justification.
It enables equity if playing competitively between those who are familiar with a course and those who are not or those who can afford to employ caddies who are familiar with a course and those who cannot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It enables equity if playing competitively between those who are familiar with a course and those who are not or those who can afford to employ caddies who are familiar with a course and those who cannot.
I can agree with that but the OP doesn't fit with such situations. But to be fair nor did my last sentence.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I lost this argument on here in the general context of rangefinders and GPS tech a good few years ago.

If you can't afford - tough - such golf-aids are seen by most as nothing more than a bit of kit - and in the context of our golf gear not necessarily or relatively that expensive. And so issues of inequity are irrelevant as have such tech is simply a matter of individual choice.

So no real need for distance charts. Most players have the tech - and when playing on temps knowing distances accurately is never going to be that critical. If you are that bothered just buy the tech is the common view.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The only problem with that view is there’s no equity for the players that can’t afford dmds.

As for op situation it would of helped for the club to give yardages for temporary greens, especially if they wanted players to return to their club

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This doesn’t make sense. Why tell anyone what yardage each hole is then?

OP I’ve seen one course that gives distance to the temporary greens. But when I was playing they were definitely incorrect.

I think it would be of benefit to the round to know how far the temp green is from the tee box. You’re right, some holes have blind greens. Bit unfair to expect the player to guess!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only problem with that view is there’s no equity for the players that can’t afford dmds.

As for op situation it would of helped for the club to give yardages for temporary greens, especially if they wanted players to return to their club
DMDS are not expensive , compared with the costs of memberships, green fees, golf clubs even premium golf balls if needed to refill regularly cheap DMDS's are trivial , you can even install a perfectly functional app on your phone. There can never be absolute equity but it levels the playing field significantly.

I agree it would have been a nice touch to give info about the temporary greens, though I can't say it would have worried me unduly.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree, it would be good service for clubs to try and help their ‘customers’ and probably wouldn’t be too much hassle for them. Fair to say that we all know how far we hit our clubs in average, pointless if you don’t know how far the target is.

My 5+ year old garmin gps has a touch screen and so so you could try and touch the approximate location of the temporary green I guess. Assume iPhone apps do something similar...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have known my club do laminated sheets for the pro shop which tells you how far from the centre of the green (where all our distances are taken to) for the temporary greens so you have a rough number. Not seen them for a couple of years and not sure if I have my one in my locker somewhere. I prefer to simply zap the flag with my laser. The problem is if we're on temps then the ground is rock hard (only come off for frost) and so stopping it is still an issue

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is the time of year when intensive hollow and top dressing should be done.

I thought most clubs waited until October, even then closing 9 holes at a time seems excessive? Mine doesn't do this, they have a program of regular micro-tyning (so?) across the year that doesn't affect ball roll.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought most clubs waited until October, even then closing 9 holes at a time seems excessive? Mine doesn't do this, they have a program of regular micro-tyning (so?) across the year that doesn't affect ball roll.
My club (and a few others nearby) have generally brought forward greens work to still be inside the known growing time so the greens heal quicker. We have some greens work around August/September every year now, along with a spring time session too. Our greens are now the best they have been for years.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I
I am a member at this club, as I understand it, temp greens were only in play while the individual greens are being worked on and for a maximum of 3 days during this week. Maintenance week has been in our diary for over a year so members can plan their golfing year. As visitors are told to expect disruption we expect very few which I guess is why no yardage are measured.​

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I

I am a member at this club, as I understand it, temp greens were only in play while the individual greens are being worked on and for a maximum of 3 days during this week. Maintenance week has been in our diary for over a year so members can plan their golfing year. As visitors are told to expect disruption we expect very few which I guess is why no yardage are measured.​

That seems fair enough I suppose.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have course maintenance booked for the week of H4H (handy) where I imagine our greens will have their hollow tining and dressing done. Hopefully even then there should still be enough heat by day and not too cold at night to help growth and you have to trust the green keeper and his knowledge.

Hackers76

Visit site

They advised that they had done loads as there was no comp on at the weekend so had less impact on the members