Fast Greens

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry, I know what a stimpmeter is, know how it works. I've just never been at a course that announces the reading for the day. I therefore have nothing to go off when someone says that they've played a course running at 10. It's meaningless unless you have experienced a green and been told the rating.
They can't announce it "for the day" as it changes as the grass grows.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know our greenie uses one - as the measurement helps him maintain consistency across the course. But the club doesn't doesn't publish any figures as - to quote the phrase used - 'it's only a willy-waving contest and we're not entering it ...'

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I prefer to play on 'pacey' greens, it seems to suit my natural putting stoke better than slow greens

Fortunately the two practice greens at home club are a pretty good match with the course itself and differences can be put down to slopes etc plus the micro climate conditions & construction of the holes out on the course (can be more/less exposed to wind, rain, sun or raised above surrounding fairway etc, or banked by water/sand and the like which will change things a tad)

And not forgetting the direction of the grain, although practice greens have that too but its easily forgotten about when you under/over hit on 1st green if many of your practice putts were in the opposite grain direction

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I enjoy quick greens but to be honest I put better on slower greens as there is less break.

No one likes really slow greens.

Also find chipping on fast greens easier as the speed of the green does alot of the work.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I prefer to play on 'pacey' greens, it seems to suit my natural putting stoke better than slow greens

Fortunately the two practice greens at home club are a pretty good match with the course itself and differences can be put down to slopes etc plus the micro climate conditions & construction of the holes out on the course (can be more/less exposed to wind, rain, sun or raised above surrounding fairway etc, or banked by water/sand and the like which will change things a tad)

And not forgetting the direction of the grain, although practice greens have that too but its easily forgotten about when you under/over hit on 1st green if many of your practice putts were in the opposite grain direction
All this is true.
but imo the big difference we see is traffic.
most people hit 30/40 putts before they play but only 1/2/on the course greens.
This has an effect on the compactation of the soil and so slightly different growth.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday on the fastest greens I think I have ever played on. I have never three putted so much. The wife was four and five putting. We were scared to death on every putt. Miss a tiddler and you had a nasty long putt back. Pins in nasty places too.

Crumbs, if FRidays were fast Sundays were faster!!!! Lindrick, if you're interested. Bumped on to one green. Three bounces on its way on, then it got on the green, then it speeded up, I kid you not. THen ran across a massive green and off the other side!!! I stood in disbelief. Good Lord!!!! A mixed open, won with, ......only 44 points!!!! That's how tough it was!!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The 'grain' changes every time the green is cut. It follows the direction the rollers or 'lawn irons' take. They should be changing direction by 45* or 90* every time. 45* is not always practicable with larger (ie not walking) mowers.

CountLippe

Visit site
I enjoy quick greens but to be honest I put better on slower greens as there is less break.

No one likes really slow greens.

Also find chipping on fast greens easier as the speed of the green does alot of the work.

I find for medium / long downhill putts on quick greens it can actually be easier to chip on the green rather than putt as the spin stops it rolling on and on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find for medium / long downhill putts on quick greens it can actually be easier to chip on the green rather than putt as the spin stops it rolling on and on.
Wow, you must be absolutely incredible at chipping then. I wouldn't try that in a month of Sundays, one slight thin and the ball's gone!

CountLippe

Visit site
Wow, you must be absolutely incredible at chipping then. I wouldn't try that in a month of Sundays, one slight thin and the ball's gone!

It's not that difficult. You just need the right technique and a bit of practice. I aim to hit the ground an inch before the ball and use the bounce. don't come down too steep.