Temporary Greens

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought most clubs waited until October, even then closing 9 holes at a time seems excessive? Mine doesn't do this, they have a program of regular micro-tyning (so?) across the year that doesn't affect ball roll.

Most clubs in my area (Dorset, Somerset) have gone to mid to late August for their late greens maintenance programme of hollow tining and top dressing . The reason being simply that there is enough warmth for the greens to quickly recover.

Ours were done 3 weeks ago and you would not notice by now that it had been done.

In previous years when we used to do it late September/ early October there were many years, due to the cold, that the greens never recovered until spring.

We also micro tine throughout the whole year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently we've all got Smartphones and can use free GPS apps......or so I read somewhere....
I certainly have. In this particular discussion though even with a GPS you would be using guesswork as to where the temporary green is. Especially on a blind hole, as mentioned. I think it's fairer to give yardages to the temp greens so people know.

D

Deleted member 18588

Most clubs in my area (Dorset, Somerset) have gone to mid to late August for their late greens maintenance programme of hollow tining and top dressing . The reason being simply that there is enough warmth for the greens to quickly recover.

Ours were done 3 weeks ago and you would not notice by now that it had been done.

In previous years when we used to do it late September/ early October there were many years, due to the cold, that the greens never recovered until spring.

We also micro tine throughout the whole year.

One of the first changes our Course Manager made when he joined us in 2016 and the difference is amazing.

Much better condition throughout the autumn, winter and spring whilst continuing to be excellent during the main part of the season.

Very regular ironing also helps.