Tees

Vicjoy

Visit site
Hi all,
Wanted to know what people think about bamboo tees? Do they find them better than plastic or hard wood tees? Are they stronger than traditional wood tees?
Thanks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I won some of the Ocean Tees at the beginning of this year. I reckon I have only broken 2, maybe 3 at most all season. Way stronger than wooden tees, perhaps to the detriment of the company selling them long term.

I can't talk for other bamboo offerings, and I have no link with Ocean Tees, but the extra they cost, if anything, is well worth it. Highly recommended

Vicjoy

Visit site
Thanks Lord Tyrion and seems like they certainly last longer, which can only be a good thing for all involved (apart from the company selling them as you said)!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also won some Ocean tees and fine all summer but now into the winter starting to see a few more break on iron shots, but still highley recommended

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how they make bamboo tees.

Are they bamboo which has been shredded and reconstituted with glue and would therefore be stronger but not as good for the environment as it is made out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also won some Ocean tees and fine all summer but now into the winter starting to see a few more break on iron shots, but still highley recommended
I tend to use snapped wooden tees that are lying around for irons off the tees. There are always plenty of them knocking about and any good ones I keep in my tees bag. Nigh on impossible to snap an already snapped tee so they keep going on and on.

I'm amazed at how strong the bamboo ones are. In summer when the ground was hard I thought I would start to see them snap but it didn't happen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea. I have plastic tees that I bought ages ago and will probably last me another several years before I need to buy any more. That's what's so great about them.

Vicjoy

Visit site
good question Jim8flog. Not sure if they are one piece of bamboo which has been shaped or pieces which have been reconstituted with glue. Maybe there are different types and the one piece ones are more solid?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to use snapped wooden tees that are lying around for irons off the tees. There are always plenty of them knocking about and any good ones I keep in my tees bag. Nigh on impossible to snap an already snapped tee so they keep going on and on.

I'm amazed at how strong the bamboo ones are. In summer when the ground was hard I thought I would start to see them snap but it didn't happen.

I used to use the snapped ones pre Covid , but steer clear now
Not sure how they make bamboo tees.

Are they bamboo which has been shredded and reconstituted with glue and would therefore be stronger but not as good for the environment as it is made out.
https://oceanteegolf.com/the-original-bamboo-golf-tees/

Vicjoy

Visit site
Orikoru, They certainly would last a long time but what I hear is that they take so long to break down, they are not good for the environment. I too, have so many but am looking to change and just seeing what people think before going out and buying some.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Orikoru, They certainly would last a long time but what I hear is that they take so long to break down, they are not good for the environment. I too, have so many but am looking to change and just seeing what people think before going out and buying some.
Given that I only lose about three a year I don't think it's high on the list of impacts on the environment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to use the snapped ones pre Covid , but steer clear now

/
I've got snapped ones going back a few years so don't need to pick them up in these current times. As I say, they are nigh on indestructible once already snapped. I only lose them on muddy days when they get drilled into the tee box and I can't get them out :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Been using them for around 3 years now (didn't realise they were bamboo till about a year ago) Local club hands them out free to players. They seem to last very well

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I've ever used bamboo tees (knowingly). Tend to use the old fashioned wooden ones and using the small castle tees rather than pick any loose tees off the ground in the current situation.

Vicjoy

Visit site
Not sure I've ever used bamboo tees (knowingly). Tend to use the old fashioned wooden ones and using the small castle tees rather than pick any loose tees off the ground in the current situation.
best not to use any tees off the ground for the foreseeable future and beyond!

D

Deleted member 23344

I tried some Ocean bamboo tees, but I found that they broke too easily. I use plastic tees (they are called “myfly” or something similar) which are virtually unbreakable so, like Orikor, I only use about four a year.

eddie_1878

Visit site
I’ve recently switched to plastic tees and have no idea why I ever bothered with wooden ones? Unless I’m mistaken they offer no benefit compared to plastic- from a golfing perspective.