Technology

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest that yes, technology will give you greater length specially on off centre hits, but if it’s not a straight shot you will be in greater trouble.
I would suggest lesson and an improvement in consistency would help you more.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
OP should buy himself a Ping G10 - a top driver back in the day (2007) and still seems to perform well in comparisons. He can buy one on-line for under £75. Then learn to hit it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OP should buy himself a Ping G10 - a top driver back in the day (2007) and still seems to perform well in comparisons. He can buy one on-line for under £75. Then learn to hit it.
why would you buy a driver that was older than your current driver, if you were concerned about benefits of technology???

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just swapped 10 yr old clubs for brand new (ping g400, fitted). My good shots are longer & straighter. My ok shots are a bit more ok. But l play off 19, so my crap shots are still crap. So, in my mind, technology helps, but it will be lessons & practice (hitherto not implemented) that will make the handicap come down.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I hit a Callaway Rogue this weekend, the first time I have hit any driver from the new breed. My current driver is an old Titleist (at least 10 years old). Now I am fortunate that distance has never really been an issue, hence I never really bothered to look at new drivers. To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement. It was the most surreal experience I have ever had with a golf club ! The hit was just so solid and with a 3/4 swing it's gone an absolute mile, not just that, the flight and shape were something I have been searching for, for ages. Now it could be luck, but the swing I felt was the same as my normal driver swing, but the results bore no comparison to my current driver.

When I consider that my driver is the only unfitted club in my bag, I would be nuts not to at least go through the process to look at a new driver.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I hit a Callaway Rogue this weekend, the first time I have hit any driver from the new breed. My current driver is an old Titleist (at least 10 years old). Now I am fortunate that distance has never really been an issue, hence I never really bothered to look at new drivers. To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement. It was the most surreal experience I have ever had with a golf club ! The hit was just so solid and with a 3/4 swing it's gone an absolute mile, not just that, the flight and shape were something I have been searching for, for ages. Now it could be luck, but the swing I felt was the same as my normal driver swing, but the results bore no comparison to my current driver.

When I consider that my driver is the only unfitted club in my bag, I would be nuts not to at least go through the process to look at a new driver.

I would echo that. Couple weeks back I was booming my 915 Titleist having already ordered a new TS2 and was questioning why I was doing so, but the difference I believe is huge, not only in distance but flight and off centre hits, but not only that, it stays in the ball park much better with bad shots than my previous.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some very pertinant replies so thanks very much! Think I am going to take a trip to AG and use their net for the Rogue, Epic, Ping G400. I will also take my X Hot along and assess where I am! If it is obvious, think I will have a gander at golfbidder to try and nab a decent deal. Happy golfing

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
One thing technology will never do is hole 2/3/4 feeters for you. I played as good as I possibly can today and missed 6, yes 6 putts inside 3ish feet, at least two of them inside 2 feet.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing technology will never do is hole 2/3/4 feeters for you. I played as good as I possibly can today and missed 6, yes 6 putts inside 3ish feet, at least two of them inside 2 feet.

I feel your pain! Always a nightmare when that happens