Team event..... Handicap adjustments

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In Better Ball competition Congu says to play 3/4ers of the difference.
What are the recommendations/ conventions when playing 3 or 4 man team events?? & the arguments for them??
What happens at your Club?... during Summer.... winter produces many variations.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In Better Ball competition Congu says to play 3/4ers of the difference.
What are the recommendations/ conventions when playing 3 or 4 man team events?? & the arguments for them??
What happens at your Club?... during Summer.... winter produces many variations.

generally am/am events (best 2 from 3 or 4) are played to 3/4; some have additional requirements that each player must be represented in a minimum number of holes in further efforts to create handicap equality (but these get really complicated!)

this doesn't make 3/4 right, or wrong - there is no correct answer (and even CONGU agrees that 3/4 is wrong for BB matchplay but that's another issue completely!)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a "best three scores from four ball" event just today, and that was also 3/4 handicap.

To be honest I'd expect all Team Games to be off 3/4 ers really. Not the case at my Club so we get quite outrageous scores & talk of 'voluntary' handicap adjustments under General Play, if players will accept them..... does this happen anywhere else?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest I'd expect all Team Games to be off 3/4 ers really. Not the case at my Club so we get quite outrageous scores & talk of 'voluntary' handicap adjustments under General Play, if players will accept them..... does this happen anywhere else?

???

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
"It was none Q but you've scored 47 points so are you happy to take a 2 shot cut?" ...... as was written really. :smirk:

Do you mean that the 47 was scored in a team comp? If it was an individual comp, why was it NQ? Not being rude, but did your club receive their free copies of the CONGU manual?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean that the 47 was scored in a team comp? If it was an individual comp, why was it NQ? Not being rude, but did your club receive their free copies of the CONGU manual?
Sorry for not explaining it in full....however it doesn't get any better :eek:

Twas a once a year, Shot-gun, Memorial Comp which has always been played as a 4-person team of men & women with best 2 scores to count for the team but all putting out for their own Stableford score. The HC called it NQ as its 2 comps in one, which I suppose is fair enough but with the Men playing it off full handicap off the forward Yellow tees is just asking for the issues they got. Men scoring 47 (playing off 27), 45 & 43 Women 42, 41 & 39. I guess its further complicated by team format being varied eg due to circumstances ie. 2 men, 2 women, or 1 woman 3 men, or 4 men.
I'd say it's largely a 'fun day' but not for me with those kind of out comes, so I don't get involved but was just wondering if other Clubs have similar types of comps.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry for not explaining it in full....however it doesn't get any better :eek:

Twas a once a year, Shot-gun, Memorial Comp which has always been played as a 4-person team of men & women with best 2 scores to count for the team but all putting out for their own Stableford score. The HC called it NQ as its 2 comps in one, which I suppose is fair enough but with the Men playing it off full handicap off the forward Yellow tees is just asking for the issues they got. Men scoring 47 (playing off 27), 45 & 43 Women 42, 41 & 39. I guess its further complicated by team format being varied eg due to circumstances ie. 2 men, 2 women, or 1 woman 3 men, or 4 men.
I'd say it's largely a 'fun day' but not for me with those kind of out comes, so I don't get involved but was just wondering if other Clubs have similar types of comps.

1. many will play such events with many different formats and handicaping
2. there's no confusion about handicap cuts - it's NQ, a single event, and therefore no handicap adjustments at all may be made on the basis of the single result alone (as per CONGU rules)