Biggest Handicap Reduction / Over Time

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
When I first put my three cards I was so nervous they was all crud. 28 hcp. Should never of got 28.
First comp was green keepers revenge. Rakes all over greens, hose pipes, boulders, holes on slopes, tee boxes in bunkers. 36 points.
Within my first season I was down to 17

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, I want to say Liam Johnstone or maybe Henderson. He's from Dumfries. Pretty much guaranteed his European Tour card now and I think he's only in his early 20s.
something like that. hope he does well but even once on the ET, he won't get in any of the top events anyway unless he starts well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem with going to the US is, it's a massive pond with a lot of fish.

We've had this discussion in other threads, but there definitely seems to be a big problem with nurturing talent in Scotland.

There's a reasonable number of journeyman type guys who can keep their card on the ET, but never really threaten in the big events, or hardly qualify for them now. Stephen Gallagher, Richie Ramsay, Scott Jamieson, David Drysdale, Mark Warren.

Even Connor Syme, who might be described as a promising youngster, is 23 and still has a bit of work to do to keep his card. There are also a plethora of guys on the challenge tour who range from youngsters to guys in their 30s, perhaps kidding themselves on that they can still make a good living from professional golf. I suppose you are only 1 good week away from a 6 figure sum if you can get

The top two golfers at the moment (and for some time) are Russell Knox and Martin Laird - both who game through the US College system and have based themselves out there full time. I don't think that is a coincidence that despite a number of promising players, very few of them really look like breaking into the top tier of the professional game. I think it is very much to do with Scotland's ability to nurture elite talent, whether it is coaching, mindset, lack of proper competition etc. It is obviously not a problem the likes of Ireland and England have.

So for this lad, he probably has a better chance of making it than if he stayed here.