Biggest Handicap Reduction / Over Time

oo7ml

Visit site
Hey,

I’m back playing golf after a 15 year break.

One of my closest friends also gave up playing back 15 years ago too (college, work, etc)... however he took up golf again 3 years ago.

We were both playing off 9 HC fifteen years ago, and i’m not sure what handicap the Golf Union Of Ireland gave my friend when he started playing again 3 years ago... however he is now playing off an impressive 2 HC.

On a side note... 3 years ago we were both watching the British Open, and that is what got him back playing golf... his exact words were “i’ve Been watching them play all weekend... it can’t be that hard”... i’m not sure he’d still say the same, albeit playing of 2 :)

He has played on average 4 times a week during the summer months and 2 times a week during the winter months, and is very much devoted to it.

As per the thread title, he has jumped from probably a 12 HC to a 2 HC in 3 years.

What is the biggest reduction you have ever heard about, over a relatively short period of time?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Young lad at my club sent from 3 to +5 in about a year... that's pretty good going esp as its the north of Scotland. Some may think its only 8 shots but bare in mind you only go down by 0.1

oo7ml

Visit site
Wow, both are very impressive.

Yes, there is a massive difference in the rate of change at the lower end of the HC scale.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had a few this year that were 7 and 8 handicappers end of last year (no comps between Oct and April) who got to scratch and +1, but these lads are down every day all day over the SH

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One guy from this forum went from like 21 to 8 last year. I think it's NorwichBanana unless I've confused him for someone with a similar avatar.

I got my first handicap of 24 in Jan 2017 and I'm only at 20 now so I've not exactly plummeted down. But then I only play one or two comps a month.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
One guy from this forum went from like 21 to 8 last year. I think it's NorwichBanana unless I've confused him for someone with a similar avatar.

I got my first handicap of 24 in Jan 2017 and I'm only at 20 now so I've not exactly plummeted down. But then I only play one or two comps a month.

24 to 8 is good going but light years away from 3 to +5

Young lad at ours has went from 5 to 1 this season, another around my age has went from 1 to +2 In the same tie.

D

Deleted member 1147

As a junior I went from 23 to 15 over the course of a fortnight.

My club only held junior competitions on a monthly basis, so I also joined another local course who held them on a weekly basis.

I won two events, got cut and an ESR.

The problem was that I had been playing regularly (and improving) without the opportunity to get my handicap down - I was very popular, as you can imagine :eek:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In 1995 I won two 36 holers in the space of 10 days and went from 10 to 7. It then took me another 10 years to get down to 5.

About 7 years ago one of our juniors went from 5/6 to plus 2 in about a year. He is a pro now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a junior I went from 23 to 15 over the course of a fortnight.

My club only held junior competitions on a monthly basis, so I also joined another local course who held them on a weekly basis.

I won two events, got cut and an ESR.

The problem was that I had been playing regularly (and improving) without the opportunity to get my handicap down - I was very popular, as you can imagine :eek:
blimey, how old are you, i thought they had only had ESR for a few years?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A few years ago I went down from 23 to 17 in one go (due to matchplay results over the season).

I've had a few years off and am back in at 24. Realistically would like to get down to 18, albeit will need to tighten up a few things.

In theory I would need to shoot a combined 14 or 15 shots under my handicap in medals, which seems dooable over a season, albeit there will no doubt be a few blobs and few 0.1s.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He's at Collage in the US at the moment. Played in the Eisenhower trophy this year for Scotland, but didn't light it up. Really nice lad, not up his own arse like some.. quite clever too so world is his oyster

Lets hope so as Scotland is seriously short of elite golfers. Certainly he has as good a chance as any if he is in the US.