Taylormade Stealth

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fourth from left with the black insert is a Craigton of Scotland laminated. I agree it is one of the best looking ones.
There are only two persimmons, 2nd from left is a Merit (USA) and extreme right is a Daiwa Trypower.
Do you play these clubs with modern balls?
How do they compare to modern 460 cc drivers.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer the look of the Callaway tbh. Different strokes for different folks. Not sure I'll see any difference.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I meant with performance.
Do they hit it forum distances.
The older woods all hit it the same distance as they used to and always did.
I play with them for the pleasure and enjoyment of doing so.
I don't expect to hit it as far as a 460cc and in this respect I am not disappointed.
Just try to do your best with what's in your bag - isn't that what everyone does?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The older woods all hit it the same distance as they used to and always did.
I play with them for the pleasure and enjoyment of doing so.
I don't expect to hit it as far as a 460cc and in this respect I am not disappointed.
Just try to do your best with what's in your bag - isn't that what everyone does?
Yes .
But seen a few things that have said modern balls can damage them a lot.
But it could be just the age of the club.
Would love a Mizuno like I used to have just for when I play a few holes of an evening.
Have to keep an eye on eBay.
Thanks for the info.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yes .
But seen a few things that have said modern balls can damage them a lot.
But it could be just the age of the club.
Would love a Mizuno like I used to have just for when I play a few holes of an evening.
Have to keep an eye on eBay.
Thanks for the info.

If the club is in good condition and the insert is well set then modern balls are fine. The really old and hard Surlyn covered balls were the ones that did cause damage.

These days any decent ball should be fine, I prefer softer compressions such as Callaway SuperSoft of Srixon Soft Feel.
I'd always advise you to ensure that the ball is clean when teeing it up though, sand/soil on the ball can scuff the soft surface of the insert.

The main difference you'll see in performance when comparing modern to wooden is in the flight of the ball.
Todays drivers are designed to launch the ball with lower spin whereas in the persimmon era a degree of spin was expected, especially from the balata covered balls, and the drivers were designed to suit.

A modern driver is made launch the modern ball that's been made to compliment it, a nice high launch with just the right amount of backspin to keep it in the air yet not too much so it robs it of distance.
The wooden driver on the other hand has a lower launch and will tend to impart more spin, for that reason it doesn't carry as far but on a dry course the run-out can make up quite a bit of the difference. It's also a lot less forgiving so off-centre hits will see a lot more distance drop-off than off-centre hits with a modern driver

For me a good drive in the summer with a wooden wood will go around 250 yards, but it's more likely to be 200 to 225 yards.

Having said all that though I far more enjoy playing wooden woods and when you do hit one "out the screws" the feeling can't be beaten.
(I play a lot of my golf with other seniors who are even older than me so outdriving them isn't that difficult.)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the club is in good condition and the insert is well set then modern balls are fine. The really old and hard Surlyn covered balls were the ones that did cause damage.

These days any decent ball should be fine, I prefer softer compressions such as Callaway SuperSoft of Srixon Soft Feel.
I'd always advise you to ensure that the ball is clean when teeing it up though, sand/soil on the ball can scuff the soft surface of the insert.

The main difference you'll see in performance when comparing modern to wooden is in the flight of the ball.
Todays drivers are designed to launch the ball with lower spin whereas in the persimmon era a degree of spin was expected, especially from the balata covered balls, and the drivers were designed to suit.

A modern driver is made launch the modern ball that's been made to compliment it, a nice high launch with just the right amount of backspin to keep it in the air yet not too much so it robs it of distance.
The wooden driver on the other hand has a lower launch and will tend to impart more spin, for that reason it doesn't carry as far but on a dry course the run-out can make up quite a bit of the difference. It's also a lot less forgiving so off-centre hits will see a lot more distance drop-off than off-centre hits with a modern driver

For me a good drive in the summer with a wooden wood will go around 250 yards, but it's more likely to be 200 to 225 yards.

Having said all that though I far more enjoy playing wooden woods and when you do hit one "out the screws" the feeling can't be beaten.
(I play a lot of my golf with other seniors who are even older than me so outdriving them isn't that difficult.)
I started my golf with Mizuno persimmon 1/3/5 and always hit them very well.
I was considered a good driver of the ball then.
I still am but the tech has evened things out imo and even high cappers drive the ball very well now.
Just bought a Mizuno persimmon off eBay.
Looking forward to seeing if I still have it ;)
Thanks for the info.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I started my golf with Mizuno persimmon 1/3/5 and always hit them very well.
I was considered a good driver of the ball then.
I still am but the tech has evened things out imo and even high cappers drive the ball very well now.
Just bought a Mizuno persimmon off eBay.
Looking forward to seeing if I still have it ;)
Thanks for the info.

I've got an old Mizuno persimmon in the cupboard at my in-laws in Japan. I took it to the range one day for a bash...... put it straight back in the cupboard and haven't touched it sinceo_O. Might give it another go next time I'm over though.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Looking on Clubhouse Golf the Stealth is on there for full retail price and the new Stealth Plus 3 wood is £350. It's all getting a bit silly.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Looking on Clubhouse Golf the Stealth is on there for full retail price and the new Stealth Plus 3 wood is £350. It's all getting a bit silly.

Most players will suit the standard Stealth which is cheaper, and roughly the same price as other top brands.

There are cheaper alternatives!

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Comparing like for like, I don't remember the SIM2 being listed / sold for full retail price when it came out, I thought it was £20-30 lower than retail. Not a huge amount but still a difference.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Comparing like for like, I don't remember the SIM2 being listed / sold for full retail price when it came out, I thought it was £20-30 lower than retail. Not a huge amount but still a difference.

Yeah, something I had noticed as well. Previously drivers would have an RRP of £499.99 or something but when they actually hit the shelves it'd be £449.99, these are going on for full whack!

evolve528

Visit site
I'm not too interested in the latest £500 TM driver to be honest, all the YouTube videos I've watched prove it doesn't go more than 2-3 yards further so unless you have bundles of money to throw around on the latest gear for a bit of fun I don't see the point. How you hit the club is going to matter an awful lot more than the club you use!

But the thing that has struck me from this well planned embargo lift on 4th Jan from TM is just how many pros/YouTubers/'Influencers' (God I hate that word! but it's clearly accurate here) get all the models so RRP £1.5-2k+ totally for free just for promoting it. Yes it happens in all sectors but it does make you wonder how bigger mugs consumers are for parting with £500 for this stuff.

Having said all this I have a driver fitting next week and my budget is about £450! My defence to myself is I've never bought any brand new golf clubs so it's a little one off treat not every year.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But the thing that has struck me from this well planned embargo lift on 4th Jan from TM is just how many pros/YouTubers/'Influencers' (God I hate that word! but it's clearly accurate here) get all the models so RRP £1.5-2k+ totally for free just for promoting it. Yes it happens in all sectors but it does make you wonder how bigger mugs consumers are for parting with £500 for this stuff.

Surely this just goes under TM's marketing/advertising budget, send out a few of the clubs and create some noise about the product. There are lots of people who won't place an order until they've seen reviews etc so this way TM get reviews on the day of the announcement and then, hopefully, watch the £££'s come rolling in.

evolve528

Visit site
Surely this just goes under TM's marketing/advertising budget, send out a few of the clubs and create some noise about the product. There are lots of people who won't place an order until they've seen reviews etc so this way TM get reviews on the day of the announcement and then, hopefully, watch the £££'s come rolling in.

Yeah totally agree and understand that but it just struck me quite how many people they ship this stuff too before release, it's not just a select group it seems like it's hundreds of people just in the UK. Maybe I'll start a YouTube channel just to get the freebies ;)