Switch off now

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watched the golf this morning and yes Tiger is ahead and we're not through the 1st round yet. I don't think it matters what day or event, Tiger is the best and wants to win no matter which competition it is.

I hope he blows the rest away.
I think it's time the rest caught Tiger, and not just sit back and take a huge pay packet for coming 2nd.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I just think watching Tiger win every comp he enters is boring and predictable. When we had players like faldo, Seve, Monty and ozzy in their prime is was a great time for golf and all competitions. I do have respect for Tiger as he is and will be the worlds best golfer of all time, but as I said before its like eating the same dinner everyday, you know what it tastes like and you know whats coming everyday.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
"I hope he blows the rest away"

Why are people so stuck up Tiger Woods' backside. Just like glory hunters in football they will only cheer whoever is winning, if tiger was to have a significant slump people would dump their alliegance like a lead baloon and start championing the new top player. Like all the new chelsea fans, when spurs start winning everything (ok maybee a bit over-optimistic) how many will jump ship?

Surely we should support our home-grown golfers rather than some yank.

I love the likes of Westwood, Poulter, Casey, Donald, Rose etc, these are my countrymen and I shall support them whether they are good or bad, winning or losing.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
ClubChamp, Surprising I know but Eddie the Eagle did inspire people, skiing went berserk after his dismal Olympic attempts.

And I agree YAWN Tiger in front, was going to watch the highlights tonight, now going to range instead.

The bookies are still giving even odds him that I dont think are bad.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Med keep your hair on. I'm not up Tiger's ass I just think he is far better then the rest. I'd love to see Clarke and McIlroy being in the top 5 in the world but like spur's it's not going to happen. Well not for Clarke now, but Rory maybe someday. Then I won't jump ship because I want Rory to be the best, as a fellow countryman. You can quote me on the day McIlroy take's Tiger's crown!

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's time the rest caught Tiger, and not just sit back and take a huge pay packet for coming 2nd.

[/QUOTE]

spot on too many sports see many very ordinary players becoming millionaires i bet there are millionair golfers tennis players cricketers etc who i've never heard of.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

spot on too many sports see many very ordinary players becoming millionaires i bet there are millionair golfers tennis players cricketers etc who i've never heard of.

[/QUOTE]

What nonsense, Tiger is a freak in the golf world, there may never be another like him. Saying the Pro's on tour should "buck up their ideas" and catch Tiger is a joke.

How about cap wages? then Tiger would be restricted to the USPGA and only play a hand full of big comps a season leaving the rest of the players to improve the quailty of golf on show?

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site

What nonsense, Tiger is a freak in the golf world, there may never be another like him. Saying the Pro's on tour should "buck up their ideas" and catch Tiger is a joke.

How about cap wages? then Tiger would be restricted to the USPGA and only play a hand full of big comps a season leaving the rest of the players to improve the quailty of golf on show?

[/QUOTE]
i still say that many sportsmen and women can earn a huge amount despite being ordinary obviously tiger does not fall in to this category if you have a bigger discrepency in prize money between first and second ..second and third etc
a lot of focus might be on actually going for a win rather than being happy with a high finish and probably would make golf more exciting and dramatic on the last day....do or die i say.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When so many tournaments practically beg Woods to come and play in them for the extra revenue (despite the huge wodge they have to give to him for gracing them with his charming presence), do we really think they are then going to a) create the fairest challenge possible or b)set the course up in his favour?

Or is just coincidence that had Woods going out first thing on day 1 of most Majors, ensuring he knew exactly what he had to do on Friday to ensure he had the lead for the weekend?

Interesting comment from Howell in GM talking about Faldo in his pomp when he said that Faldo (for a time) was favourite at every Major regardless of what course it was or where.

Salient point and one that does not ring true about Tiger, as he clearly only wants to play on courses that suit him/guarantee a win. Before the wails about 'but what about the Open?' - do we really think he would play if it wasn't a Major? Plus, he hasn't won an Open on a non-72 track or in really tough conditions.

Just a thought. His dominance needs to be challenged, not preserved.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just a thought. His dominance needs to be challenged, not preserved.

QED

The opportunity to channel ones golfing career is open to all participants- he can neither be praised nor condemned for pursuing a path that many have trod and many would choose but for the talent.

If the governing body felt compelled to unilaterally modify the tournament structure then I favour TE's idea of increasing the discrepency between a win and a close second perhaps in combination with a increase in punative punishments for bringing the game into disrepute (I certainly don't want to see Garcia et al spitting in a cup again thank you)

Such a policy would certainly tighten sphincters, see a rennaisance in gentlemanly behaviour, snuff out the rather cushy 'journeyman' multi-millionaire archetype,double the tension on the fourth day and end the career of otherwise limp also-rans.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I agree that people need to raise their games to be as good as Tiger, as much as I am not a fan I cannot knock the guys skill, IMHO he is the best golfer ever to wield a club, I have no doubts of his ability, it is just personality and ethics that are my gripes.

I can see why people like him, my oppinion differs and that is what is great about the forum, for once me & MVP disagree on something whereas we are usually on the same team on most things.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that Tiger doesn't like playing on courses where the greens are of a perticular type of grass. Maybe we need more of these to level the field a bit?

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
The disgusting matter is that even if tiger finishes 1st his winnings will be shadowed by his very large appearance fee.

I believe it's to do with simple economics. Milton Friedman and the free market. They wouldn't pay him if they didn't make double back. Really it's just capitalism at it's most fundimental.....