Swings on teh range

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, it seems everyone is getting their swings rated! So I thought i'd record a few shots on the range. Let me know what you think of my swing good or bad, what i can improve etc.

I'm a 28 handicapper and am looking to get lower!

7 Iron
9 Iron
Driver

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That would be the finest swing I've ever seen on a 28 h/capper - remind me never to play you for cash.

Few issues with your posture/hand position but sweet through the ball..... smooooooth!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wot he said ^^^

If you're a genuine 28 then you must have the touch of a baby elephant round the greens

Carrying three hand grenades.
Lakeside Lodge must be a pretty tough track if you are knobbing it round there off 28 with a swing like that

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can honestly say I am 28, for some reason as soon as I step on the course everything goes rubbish! Putting is getting there just not consistent. Normally 2 or 3 putting and scuffing chips!

Grrrr such an annoying game!

Thanks for the positives

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Tell me do you have a lot of fat shots?
I found that the bounce off a range mat hid a lot of my flaws. As soon as I switched onto practising off grass I was able to correct the 'fat' shot that creeps in.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
its hard to pick fault with the swing, sweet rhythmn and tempo. Being picky I reckon you could attack the ball from the inside just a fraction more. Also watch that your right leg remains flexed - it straightens out a little at the top of your backswing especially on your first driver swing. Pause the VT at the top of your backswing and see. You want your hip to turn back of course but not to rise up.

I dont know any 28 handicappers that swing as well as you by the way.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For some reason as soon as I step on the course everything goes rubbish!

Never forget the night before our first trip up to the Addington year before last.
Happened to be down the range with a mate of mine who was coming up there. He plays off 8 and hits a lovely ball. Superb swing, knocks it miles.
He was clearing the fence at the bottom of the range with his driver, everything flushed and either going as straight as a dye or with a slight touch of draw. Watching him hit the ball like that was a joy to behold. He was chuffed. He was really looking foward to the following day.
He scored 23 points that morning and must have hit almost every tree on the course
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
You want your hip to turn back of course but not to rise up.
Why not? what effect would it have if it did rise up?

Hard to tell from this angle but it looks like you struggle to turn back and through the shot. The hips rising and legs straightening in the swing is usually caused by a lack of flexibility in the hips and hamstrings. Might be a good idea to consult a personal trainer/physio to determine how best to do some flexibility/stretching that would help.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You want your hip to turn back of course but not to rise up.
Why not? what effect would it have if it did rise up?

You cant fully turn your hip and shoulders properly if your hip rises, should just turn back. The right leg is flexed at address (as it should be) if it straightens out it has to alter the angle of the shoulders and the position of the head if you think about it. It must make you taller than you were at address.

This is one of the faults I had a long time ago. When you are next out hit some balls keeping your right leg flexed. Then hit some deliberately straighening your right leg as you complete your backswing. It does make a big difference, i cant straighten my leg now as it just feels and looks wrong.

There will be better examples on you tube no doubt but Greg illustrates it quite well here, his leg when he has completed the backswing is still flexed not locked straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8W_LgdBh5o

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There is only one thing interesting about Norman's swing there and that is that when the club is parallel to the ground on the takeaway it is 20° inside the line :)

To be honest I never realised that his posture was so upright and his swing was so 'armsy', no wonder it didn't hold up in the Masters ;)

He looks like his back is totally knackered, probably the worst setup position I've ever seen on a pro...

...maybe he should have tilted his hips a little? ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
lol, do you remember some irate fan shouting out at him in the masters? "you choking dog you cost me money" or something like that. Must have lumped on him when he had such a commanding lead.

Back to the right leg flex thing James, I could pick a million clips from you tube that support the fact that the right leg should remain flexed. This time no Norman :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-4UEn5q0R4

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Back to the right leg flex thing James, I could pick a million clips from you tube that support the fact that the right leg should remain flexed. This time no Norman :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-4UEn5q0R4

You're right, there is some flex in there, somewhere :D

watson.gif

I think you'll find that if you look at the line of his belt that his hips haven't turned level either.

Watson, Norman... got any more oldies?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's a much better explanation than mine....

http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com/back-leg-and-knee/

From experience stopping myself locking my knee straight has helped me become a better player.

Who said anything about locking the knee straight?... FACT of the matter is (and it even said so on that page) "As long as our legs are attached to our hips, no human being can make a 90 degree plus torso turn toward the back leg and not have that leg straighten up" your right leg HAS TO straighten to one extent or another otherwise it's IMPOSSIBLE to make a proper turn.

If however you preload your right hand side as prescribed on that page as "PPGS wide knee with outward pressure, pre loaded heavy right setup position" then you are already building an unnatural compensation into your swing, let me ask.... which golfers preload their right hand side?