Swing video attached. Please analyse

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
So about the 0:16 mark, the face of the iron is open, and you're slightly cutting across it, so it's likely that you're adding loft which is friendly to a straighter ball flight. As a side example, open a lofted wedge 45 degress, and swing through it. It doesn't go right, but do the same with a 4 iron, and it's gone.

At 0:12, the top of your swing, your wrist if cupped, which opens the face. From there, you can see, you're trying to get the club to the ball, so you're throwing the handle to the ball. The right shoulder slides forward, instead of down.

I had this issue a while back. I couldn't hear what the coach was saying, so I learned a drill.

Put your head on a wall, Get an iron (PW) and lay it across your shoulders with the grip just extending out from your right shoulder. Turn in the back swing slowly and try not to touch the wall with the club, do the same with the down swing. This simulates what it's meant to feel like in the shoulder turn. I suspect if you did it the first few times, you'll hit the wall with the grip.

I'd look at your grip too, in relation to holding the club. Right hand looks like it's too over the top of the left, which pulls the right shoulder out. A coach told me to completely relax my right arm and feel like I'm swinging with my left arm only with the right just being a guide instead of overpowering everything. A grip trainer device slipped onto your club can help simulate the feeling of a decent hold of the club.

I'm not expert either, , but I hit about 400 balls a week, and all I can advise is my own journey, but if you're not clicking with the coach, go elsewhere. Plenty of them around. Explain you can't process words, and need drills. Doing movement drills everyday even if you aren't hitting balls can be really helpful.
Thank you

I will try and practice these drills over the next few days and come back to you.

Edit. What is a cupped wrist?

ThinBullet

Visit site
Edit. What is a cupped wrist?

Pull your wrist up like you're revving a motorbike. That's cupped. I can't remember the official term (flexion or extension), but cupping opens the face relative to your hand placement on the handle, and bowing the wrist, closes the face. It's hard to keep it neutral and sometimes people put a wee plastic 6" ruler down their glove to keep them from cupping.

Problem with looking up on YouTube is that there's as many who support it, as those who say it's bad. Really good players do it actively to set face to club path correctly, but they are a different breed. For us mortals, we're just trying to find a repeatable swing that doesn't knock us out with an injury :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What has your coach explained to you?

I can see in your video your club gets very steep as you start your downswing, you also have very little rotation in your downswing which together is a recipe for cutting across the ball. You get an occasional straight shot due to some swings probably being better.

I think you need to start using another coach who can explain how to change your swing in a way you can understand.