Evaporating swing speed, where will it end?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played with an 86 year old this year. One of his four-ball was 90 in the summer!

He was low single figures in his prime, now he's pleased to break a hundred. It frustrates the hell out of him.. now when someone 30 years younger than him says "I'd be delighted to still be alive at 86, never mind still playing golf, it is no comfort! :)

I'm hoping my technique is bad enough to allow improvements to mitigate the aging process for a while yet!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played with an 86 year old this year. One of his four-ball was 90 in the summer!

He was low single figures in his prime, now he's pleased to break a hundred. It frustrates the hell out of him.. now when someone 30 years younger than him says "I'd be delighted to still be alive at 86, never mind still playing golf, it is no comfort! :)

I'm hoping my technique is bad enough to allow improvements to mitigate the aging process for a while yet!
For me the technology has defo helped I am still single figures at 65.
But the tech is running out and it’s starting to show.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been doing the Superspeed for 3 weeks now. Already seen what I view as significant gains.

Based on initial results, I would recommend to OP. I am documenting my progress as I go.

Just started with my speed training plan. You do really need to invest in a launch monitor too to be able to monitor progress and set targets.

JGolfer

Visit site
Just started with my speed training plan. You do really need to invest in a launch monitor too to be able to monitor progress and set targets.

100% luckily I knew my baseline SS with driver from lessons I have. I then invested in a PRGR to be able to accurately track progress. But there was a Black Friday sale on with the sticks + monitor for £350. Sadly I bought them both separately for £200 and £210 respectively. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What was your baseline SS? Be interested to see others progress, as I know results can vary.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
They work, but only because your focusing on SPEED & fitness with them. for me not worth the outrageous price.

I've got ZERO game without speed, as chipping as always been useless. (won't be making it to a golf course by 76)

One of the guys in out roll up has been using speed stick and says he's seen significant increase.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% luckily I knew my baseline SS with driver from lessons I have. I then invested in a PRGR to be able to accurately track progress. But there was a Black Friday sale on with the sticks + monitor for £350. Sadly I bought them both separately for £200 and £210 respectively. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What was your baseline SS? Be interested to see others progress, as I know results can vary.

I got a PRGR 2nd hand off ebay for £150.00, only been used for 3 swings and a set of brand new speed sticks from Superspeed in a damaged box for £160.00.

Baseline swing speed with driver = 97mph

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive seen a bit of a drop of in chs in the last 5 or so years, was over 100 with the driver, now its low 90 to mid 90s depending how I feel ? dropped of with irons a bit too, but a change to lighter softer shafts has helped negate this. I do now do stretching and warm up before teeing of which wasn't aways the case. Its disappointing when distance drops off but there is light from.other parts which always give me hope.
One of the best players I know (not the lowest handicap) he's over 70 has never been higher than a 3 handicap and played at quite a long course. I would be surprised if he hits it further than 200 yard of the tee, but he gets up and down m9st of the time, never misses a fairway and these days seems to be hitting a wood or hybrid for his 2nd shots. Ofvcourse he moans on every hole about how short he is, but if you have a good short game low handicaps and good scores still are not out of reach once you do lose distance.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The only solutions are

1. Try to swing faster, some people 'try' by default, these people see no gains from speedsticks
2. Be stronger. Hello gym.

Technique wont make a step change difference unless its a total disaster to start with, it woukd have to be so bad, that speed would be near the bottom of the list of things to improve. Below things like, hit the ball everytime, and have a dispersion angle less thann 45degrees...

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
This is an idea I've heard before & makes sense. As I said above I sometimes find myself just waving the club at the ball. Might give it a try.

Padraig Harrington done a video with me and my golf about driver speed some useful tips

The Tommy Fleetwood trying to stop the club head at impact is a great one

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Padraig Harrington done a video with me and my golf about driver speed some useful tips

The Tommy Fleetwood trying to stop the club head at impact is a great one
He also talks at length about this (and the us open, liv etc etc) on the latest No Laying Up podcast.
And believe me, Paddy can talk at length...