Swing video attached. Please analyse

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site

I don’t understand how my ‘over the top swing’ can make the ball go straight sometimes?

Is there any advice on changing what I have here for the better.

I have had a couple of lessons and I can’t help but feel I am not improving which is extremely frustrating.

My instructor is giving me tips on how to do x/y and z but it’s got to the point where what he tells me things that sound almost foreign and I struggle to resonate with anything he says so I leave feeling like I’m wasting my time & money.

Any advice appreciated

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand how my ‘over the top swing’ can make the ball go straight sometimes?

From a a look at the one single swing you do not stay 'on plane' your down path becomes out to in so it just depends on the club face angle at impact. Sometimes that swing will result in a reasonably straight shot, a ball that goes left to right in the air or goes straight left.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
During your lessons, what are you trying to improve, contact or direction?

Both - but mainly direction.

It’s easier for contact at the range aswell, I don’t get away with half of my fat shots here where I am punished on the course.

I would also like to get a more in to out swing as that looks like a ‘proper’ golf swing, in my opinion.

From a a look at the one single swing you do not stay 'on plane' your down path becomes out to in so it just depends on the club face angle at impact. Sometimes that swing will result in a reasonably straight shot, a ball that goes left to right in the air or goes straight left.

Yeah. These are my misses, please advise on how to correct this.

When things go wrong my driver is a straight pull left or a massive slice and I’m 3 off the tee and the hole is over.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Both - but mainly direction.

It’s easier for contact at the range aswell, I don’t get away with half of my fat shots here where I am punished on the course.

I would also like to get a more in to out swing as that looks like a ‘proper’ golf swing, in my opinion.

When things go wrong my driver is a straight pull left or a massive slice and I’m 3 off the tee and the hole is over.
Do you want the easy cure or the hard cure?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
First thing I’d be trying to shorten my backswing a touch, you backswing looks great until the last bit where your hands seem to get higher as the club goes past horizontal. After that, like has been said the swing plane changes and you come over the top. I’m no expert but you maybe need to slow your transition a little and feel like your left arm drops slightly.
I’m interested in Bobs response though 👀

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
First thing I’d be trying to shorten my backswing a touch, you backswing looks great until the last bit where your hands seem to get higher as the club goes past horizontal. After that, like has been said the swing plane changes and you come over the top. I’m no expert but you maybe need to slow your transition a little and feel like your left arm drops slightly.

agreed. I am starting to do this a lot with the driver as in my head it ‘maximises power’ but I end up just spraying it all over the shop

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not being an expert either, this is exactly what I thought as well. The slight overswing goes across the line and seems to produce the slight over-the-top move, as he kind of drags the club back over his shoulder. Shortening the backswing to horizontal position may also reduce the over-the-top.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hard cure isn't really permanent and involves hitting over 20,000 balls.

Your problem involves an out to in swing and a clubface that varies in direction at impact probably caused by a dodgy grip.

The easy cure doesn't touch the swing, so it is a bit of a cheat.

Fix the grip so the club face is consistently square to the swing path.
You should then be hitting pulls left all day.
Then simply aim right.
The old boy below is doing exactly what I'm saying.
The tall tree is the target.

View attachment 48993
Aim right, let the swing go where it wants and with a consistently square club face, the ball will fly straight

Proof...

Weird, that’s what I’ve been trying over the last 2 weeks. Aiming right but squaring the club face, I sometimes still lose some right but I’ve definitely started drawing the ball more, I’m convinced I’ve gained a little distance as well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The hard cure isn't really permanent and involves hitting over 20,000 balls.

Your problem involves an out to in swing and a clubface that varies in direction at impact probably caused by a dodgy grip.

The easy cure doesn't touch the swing, so it is a bit of a cheat.

Fix the grip so the club face is consistently square to the swing path.
You should then be hitting pulls left all day.
Then simply aim right.
The old boy below is doing exactly what I'm saying.
The tall tree is the target.

View attachment 48993
Aim right, let the swing go where it wants and with a consistently square club face, the ball will fly straight

Proof...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I find a highly reliable repeatable cure I will let you know.
45 years playing and it still creeps in to my shots on a few occasions every round.

I was taught a few practice drills to help but I hardly practice these days

eg put a ball on a 3" high tee and hit it with a six iron.
Use a pool noodle pipe or insulation foam on the ground placed just outside the intended swing path, if you go over the top or out to in you will hit it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just copy the swing in post 13. Or, better still, this one

Not that old chestnut 🤣
With the greatest respect to OP 99% of us are never going to be able to craft a swing like that. Work with what you have would be my advice you’ve got some solid fundamentals, Bobmacs tip is a real gem, think about your swing path, it’s to the left, aiming right neutralises the swing path and squaring the club face when you take your stance (feels like you’re closing the club face) will hopefully match the “new” swing path 👍
Blimey, I actually sound like I know what I’m talking about there for a second but I’m waiting to be shot down in flames 🤣

Budds

Banned
Visit site
Not that old chestnut 🤣
With the greatest respect to OP 99% of us are never going to be able to craft a swing like that. Work with what you have would be my advice you’ve got some solid fundamentals, Bobmacs tip is a real gem, think about your swing path, it’s to the left, aiming right neutralises the swing path and squaring the club face when you take your stance (feels like you’re closing the club face) will hopefully match the “new” swing path 👍
Blimey, I actually sound like I know what I’m talking about there for a second but I’m waiting to be shot down in flames 🤣
I agree with much of this, but worthwile trying to make a few simple corrections - like shortening the backswing to avoid losing control and staying stable in the downswing.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Thank you for the replies it’s much appreciated.

I have a round tomorrow and will try and few things out before on the range and if anything works I’ll try and implement it during my round.

One thing I will try is to shorten my backswing to see if it gives me any more control. I am hoping this will control my grip / hands more so the club returns more square at impact.
I will also try aiming more to the right to make me come more inside.

ThinBullet

Visit site
So about the 0:16 mark, the face of the iron is open, and you're slightly cutting across it, so it's likely that you're adding loft which is friendly to a straighter ball flight. As a side example, open a lofted wedge 45 degress, and swing through it. It doesn't go right, but do the same with a 4 iron, and it's gone.

At 0:12, the top of your swing, your wrist if cupped, which opens the face. From there, you can see, you're trying to get the club to the ball, so you're throwing the handle to the ball. The right shoulder slides forward, instead of down.

I had this issue a while back. I couldn't hear what the coach was saying, so I learned a drill.

Put your head on a wall, Get an iron (PW) and lay it across your shoulders with the grip just extending out from your right shoulder. Turn in the back swing slowly and try not to touch the wall with the club, do the same with the down swing. This simulates what it's meant to feel like in the shoulder turn. I suspect if you did it the first few times, you'll hit the wall with the grip.

I'd look at your grip too, in relation to holding the club. Right hand looks like it's too over the top of the left, which pulls the right shoulder out. A coach told me to completely relax my right arm and feel like I'm swinging with my left arm only with the right just being a guide instead of overpowering everything. A grip trainer device slipped onto your club can help simulate the feeling of a decent hold of the club.

I'm not expert either, , but I hit about 400 balls a week, and all I can advise is my own journey, but if you're not clicking with the coach, go elsewhere. Plenty of them around. Explain you can't process words, and need drills. Doing movement drills everyday even if you aren't hitting balls can be really helpful.