Swing speed / Carry question

robbeh32

Visit site
Just lately been for a fitting my driver topped out at 97mph swing speed and was carrying around 220 yards.

What carry should I be expecting for say a 7iron as its currently carrying around 140 is this what I should expect?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you should be able to get more than 220 from 97mph

I’m around the same speed and would say I’m more 230-235, hard to know exactly!

I get about 155 out of a 7 iron.

I’m more or less in line with Patrick’s numbers. Probably should have put that first, would have been easier.....

However, I wouldn’t worry about how far you hit a 7. What I would focus on is how consistent your gaps are between clubs. If you hit each club up the bag 8 or 9 yards further then you’re good. If your gaps are inconsistent, something is awry.

robbeh32

Visit site
Are you taliing carry canary because my total roll out was around 240. I cant garuntee i was hitting middle of club either and my attack angle was -2 so need to work on that.

The biggest worry is my iron distances seem alot less than they should be or maybe in just swinging within myself on the irons?!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on so much more than swing speed. Attack angle, club path and face to path will all impact on launch angle, ball speed and spin rates. You would be better looking at what your ball speed is rather than clubhead.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on so much more than swing speed. Attack angle, club path and face to path will all impact on launch angle, ball speed and spin rates. You would be better looking at what your ball speed is rather than clubhead.
Yes as this will give you efficiency, which really is a measure of quality of strike. Drop the speed pick up the quality of strike.
Patrick’s table is accurate but the loft of the irons needs to be accounted for most 7 irons are strong so 6 iron distance is what you get.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just lately been for a fitting my driver topped out at 97mph swing speed and was carrying around 220 yards.

What carry should I be expecting for say a 7iron as its currently carrying around 140 is this what I should expect?
I had a Ping fitting .
Club speed with driver 99mph is 238 total.
7 iron is 150 yds.
I have a -4 AOA with slightly open face , so some work to do.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you taliing carry canary because my total roll out was around 240. I cant garuntee i was hitting middle of club either and my attack angle was -2 so need to work on that.

The biggest worry is my iron distances seem alot less than they should be or maybe in just swinging within myself on the irons?!

Carry. Sounds though that ignoring the mph, your driver distance is consistent with your 7 iron. So I wouldn’t worry about it.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My ball speed with driver was between 134 and 137mph!
Yea, that's different to club head speed. Ball speed is much higher than club speed. To give you an example, Bryson has Ball speed over 180mph and approaching 200!!!

With your ball speed , your club speed is probably between 92 and 98 ISH mph

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My ball speed with driver was between 134 and 137mph!
I just multiply that up by 1.65 and that usually gets you to a carry number .. roll is an additional factor that varies massively, just take it when you can, as your carry will be around 220-228 yards and you could get out to 280 yards with some roll (Of cause this creates excitement and confusion making the 2nd shot a thin or shank ? - but also becomes your forum driving average ?)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You may find that the quality of strike is why your driver carry isn't optimal - heard that the maths for calculating driver distance is clubhead speed x 2.7

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is some discussion about club head speed and how it is measured. Radar devices measure centrally of the face and camera stuff is said to measure toe. Apparently this causes a discrepancy between the 2 systems.
If this is the case then ball speed is the best measurement as it over rides this argument and automatically accounts for efficiency making the distance calculation for carry simpler.