Swing speed / Carry question

Springveldt

Visit site
Just lately been for a fitting my driver topped out at 97mph swing speed and was carrying around 220 yards.
What carry should I be expecting for say a 7iron as its currently carrying around 140 is this what I should expect?
My ball speed with driver was between 134 and 137mph!
What launch monitor was being used? Was it something that was actually measuring clubhead speed (GCQuad, Trackman) or was it something that was estimating based on the ball speed (GC2, SkyTrack)? From those figures it looks like it was a launch monitor that was actually tracking the clubhead speed. You need to work on your strike if so.

You should be getting at least 140mph from a 97mph swing with a driver (that would be a smash factor of 1.45 which is good, not great). Only reason I'm picking 1.45 is that is my usual smash factor on Trackman after a few driver swings and I'm not a great ball striker. I think Trackman maxes out at 1.5, (I've had a 1.5 smash factor on a 94mph swing that carried 232 and I've had a 1.45 on a 103mph swing that carried 242).

For your 7 iron it depends on a few things but mainly what loft it is. Based on the driver information, I'm not shocked at it going 140, I'd have guessed between 140 and 150.

D

Deleted member 21258

I swing slightly faster than you(low 100mph) and have a similar carry distance but plenty of roll, as I hit it lowish with driver

Ball speed, depends on your speed and launch conditions (ie. swing path, launch angle, clubface open/close at impact and angle of attack, oh and strike).

I quite like trackmans charts as it provides a kind of total distance, launch and AOA (these are all over the internet btw) :-

trackman-page-1_orig.png
track2.png

D

Deleted Member 1156

I swing slightly faster than you(low 100mph) and have a similar carry distance but plenty of roll, as I hit it lowish with driver

Ball speed, depends on your speed and launch conditions (ie. swing path, launch angle, clubface open/close at impact and angle of attack, oh and strike).

I quite like trackmans charts as it provides a kind of total distance, launch and AOA (these are all over the internet btw) :-

View attachment 31956
View attachment 31957
This equates pretty closely with my fitting today. My SS was bang on 100mph, spin around 2200/2300 with +1 or 2 AoA giving a carry around 240 on good strikes and running out just over 270.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trackman data hitting down really hurts your distance, a lower swing speed with someone hitting up gets more carry. I have been working on getting a more positive launch angle. My driver was adjusted up to 12 degrees, but I have changed my set up and got my impact position on the up. I am now getting more carry and height, so I have dialled back to 9 degrees to get more ball speed ... which seems to be working. I am now carrying it another 30 yards purely down to this adjustment and set up. I know I was pretty inefficient to start off with, so I was only going to gain massively when I resolved the issue.

robbeh32

Visit site
What launch monitor was being used? Was it something that was actually measuring clubhead speed (GCQuad, Trackman) or was it something that was estimating based on the ball speed (GC2, SkyTrack)? From those figures it looks like it was a launch monitor that was actually tracking the clubhead speed. You need to work on your strike if so.

You should be getting at least 140mph from a 97mph swing with a driver (that would be a smash factor of 1.45 which is good, not great). Only reason I'm picking 1.45 is that is my usual smash factor on Trackman after a few driver swings and I'm not a great ball striker. I think Trackman maxes out at 1.5, (I've had a 1.5 smash factor on a 94mph swing that carried 232 and I've had a 1.45 on a 103mph swing that carried 242).

For your 7 iron it depends on a few things but mainly what loft it is. Based on the driver information, I'm not shocked at it going 140, I'd have guessed between 140 and 150.

Yer was on trackman my best smash factor was 1.45

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also just seen this. Food for thought.

All good stuff, I use the orange, I did some foot spray tests and also watching ball flight before coming to my decision.
if your using a wooden tee use a sharpie to Mark how far to push it in.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 31956
View attachment 31957

This is really interesting, thank you.

I went to my local range yesterday which has the “inrange” ball tracking system. It tracks the ball rather than my club, so gives ball speed, carry, max height and launch angle. On the mobile app, it also gives the option of the actual stats, or the scaled up stats if using a premium ball.

Ball speed with the driver was c150mph and launch angle 14 degrees - 16 degrees, with an apex 90 - 100 feet (from memory, don’t have exact numbers in front of me).

That seems to be close to being in the window of an optimal launch, if anything a little high. It also explains why I’m close to being as long off the tee as one of my playing partners (who doesn’t hit it as high) while he is consistently a club (or more) longer through the rest of the bag. He strikes his irons very powerfully with a descending blow, but I guess this carries over into his driving.

The other thing that really struck me from my numbers is my driver ball flight has an apex higher than any other club! I guess that’s right given I hit my driver a bit higher than I prob should and I would say I’m a better driver of the ball than I am iron player.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I went to my local range yesterday which has the “inrange” ball tracking system. It tracks the ball rather than my club, so gives ball speed, carry, max height and launch angle. On the mobile app, it also gives the option of the actual stats, or the scaled up stats if using a premium ball.

Ball speed with the driver was c150mph and launch angle 14 degrees - 16 degrees, with an apex 90 - 100 feet (from memory, don’t have exact numbers in front of me).

That seems to be close to being in the window of an optimal launch, if anything a little high. It also explains why I’m close to being as long off the tee as one of my playing partners (who doesn’t hit it as high) while he is consistently a club (or more) longer through the rest of the bag. He strikes his irons very powerfully with a descending blow, but I guess this carries over into his driving.

The other thing that really struck me from my numbers is my driver ball flight has an apex higher than any other club! I guess that’s right given I hit my driver a bit higher than I prob should and I would say I’m a better driver of the ball than I am iron player.
I would not over think the apex height stuff, you just need maximise what you have with technique, reading the numbers your launch is on the high side which is good. If you have an adjustable driver, you could experiment with a lower loft. But just remember where you are currently so you can return, if it goes away from ideal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I don't know what you play off but for my tuppence worth I wouldn't get too hung up on launch angle or apex and ensure I was hitting fairways regularly. Also bear in mind the data is based on range balls as well

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know what you play off but for my tuppence worth I wouldn't get too hung up on launch angle or apex and ensure I was hitting fairways regularly. Also bear in mind the data is based on range balls as well

I would not over think the apex height stuff, you just need maximise what you have with technique, reading the numbers your launch is on the high side which is good. If you have an adjustable driver, you could experiment with a lower loft. But just remember where you are currently so you can return, if it goes away from ideal.

Thanks - it’s not something I’ve any interest in changing, I just enjoyed looking at the data and seeing how the trackman data relates to my game.

When I hit what feels and looks to me like a good drive, it launches high. But actually the data supports that as a positive thing which is reassuring.

Homer, you’re absolutely right that hitting the short stuff is the important thing, and actually more than that avoiding the big miss which means a double or worse is unavoidable is even more important. I’ve made some good progress with some lessons this year, but I’ve still not fully eliminated a killer miss....