Swing opinions (video question)

V

vkurup

Was at top golf driving range and shot a couple of videos of me hitting a 3 hybrid and a 7-iron. Looking for ideas on how to improve. My current issues are
1) I dont have a full backswing. Being a ex-cricketer, I only have a backlift. The power comes from how quick or slow I accelerate from that position

2) Consistency: This year I am a bit more consistent, but then I still have a odd topping/thinning of shots. The longer the club the more difficult it is for me. Hence i now play 3 & 4 hybrids only

3) No ability to shape shots. I have only 1 setting in my swing, so all fade/slice/draw/hook are unplanned

4) Not much distance. My 7i is about 140-150y and the driver is fairly variable between 190-230y.

3-hybrid (full speed & slo-mo) here: http://youtu.be/vhUqsuULUUc

7-iron (full speed & slo-mo) here: http://youtu.be/uRiUoyIBHW4

PS: The background music is what they play at TopGolf. and yes, we had a sunny day this year!!!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks kinda similar to my swing but better ;), I have absolutely zero confidence in my backswing when using longer clubs which makes me do a much shorter swing.
Do you think your problem is confidence or a mobility thing?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Those distances are fine, so many people tend to think they hit their 7 iron 170, when the actually measure them they are more like 150. Based that on 230 for your driver your distances are about right.

Your swing with the Hybrid looked pretty flat. On both you take the club back as normal then pick it up to get further back. I would work on rotation drills to increase your backswing and look at getting the club more on plane with your hybrids, but all in all for level pretty good. The key is lessons and plenty of practise.

V

vkurup

Looks kinda similar to my swing but better ;), I have absolutely zero confidence in my backswing when using longer clubs which makes me do a much shorter swing.
Do you think your problem is confidence or a mobility thing?

I think it is more of a mobility issue.. years of beer guzzling and lack of exercise means I am hardly the fittest of the lot. So when i started, it was all about using the arm rather than the back muscles to swing the club. Only recently starting to turn a bit more, but cant get the arms beyond the horizontal position.

Those distances are fine, so many people tend to think they hit their 7 iron 170, when the actually measure them they are more like 150. Based that on 230 for your driver your distances are about right.

Your swing with the Hybrid looked pretty flat. On both you take the club back as normal then pick it up to get further back. I would work on rotation drills to increase your backswing and look at getting the club more on plane with your hybrids, but all in all for level pretty good. The key is lessons and plenty of practise.

I was thinking the opposite i.e. get the hybrids to be more like my irons!! Since I can get the iron running, but struggle with the hybrid.

Also another thing that is not very clear in this video is the flying left arm (chicken wing??) post the swing.

Agree, need to get some lessons this year. However, club subs have eaten up all the monies.. :((

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Distances seem fine.

Does now seem a bit of a heave - gone too much upper body rather than arms. Looks a bit like a a slog between mid-wicket and mid-off

It's actually the legs (and timing) that give most power to a golf swing. Timing would seem reasonably ok. Might not seem 'athletic' but losing the inertia of 'well-rounded' body can cause problems. Timing/sequencing can be badly affected which is what happened to Monty (when he lost 5 stone!). I know an overweight +4 capper who can't connect if he loses weight - well that's his excuse nd as long as he can fit in his Lambo, he's content.

Turning the left foot open 30 degrees might encourage bit more hip rotation - and subsequent leg action.