Swing video

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Long story short:

In the last year my golf game have collapsed. Started 2022 as a 5-handicapper, but since then I’ve only broken 80 5 times (from approx 60-70 rounds), out of which 2 was on the same day.

Old miss up until 2022:

Irons: Ball drifting right as it loses speed.

Driver: Push slice.

New miss since start of 2022:

Irons: Pull. PULL. PULL.

Driver: Army golf. Push slice, pull, pull hook, pull slice.
I don’t have anything in between a magnificent fairway splitter or a reload. It’s one or the other.

Starting with a video with a 7-Iron in hand.

@bobmac thoughts, maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing to remember is you haven't forgotten how to play golf, something has just sneaked in and spoiled the fun.

It's not likely to be your swing path so I would have to put my money on a changing club face at impact from slightly open to slightly closed.
I would check your grip in a mirror, it should look something like this...
golf-grip-4.jpg

D

Deleted member 25172

Gonna have a look when I get home after work tonight. It truly has been a miserable year of golf, and I'm rather sick of it. :/

Jason.H

Visit site
Are you good with checking your alignment?
Now and then I start missing left due to setting up slightly closed so sub consciously pull hook the ball then find if I over compensate I can miss right.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you good with checking your alignment?
Now and then I start missing left due to setting up slightly closed so sub consciously pull hook the ball then find if I over compensate I can miss right.
This is me to a tee.
I blame my eyesight.

think I am online but aiming right.

Jason.H

Visit site
This is me to a tee.
I blame my eyesight.

My eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I’ve started to pick a spot a yard or so in front of my ball and get the club face set square to that and then align to that, seems to help me .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I’ve started to pick a spot a yard or so in front of my ball and get the club face set square to that and then align to that, seems to help me .
Yes I do that but my brain tells me I am aiming miles right.
Its hard to overcome.
if anyone has a cure I will be interested.

if I use a stick to align myself it’s fine.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes I do that but my brain tells me I am aiming miles right.
Its hard to overcome.
if anyone has a cure I will be interested.

if I use a stick to align myself it’s fine.

I find that if I start doubting where I’m lined up, its much easier to tell if you leave your shoulders and feet where they are and stand up straight.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is me to a tee.
I blame my eyesight.

In the very small sample size of golfers I play with regularly, lining up too far right seems to be the default miss.
One mate is sometimes lined up nearly 45 degrees right of target. Sounds impossible, but it's true. Somewhat unsurprisingly he then has a crazy across the line swing to try and get the ball to target.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the very small sample size of golfers I play with regularly, lining up too far right seems to be the default miss.
One mate is sometimes lined up nearly 45 degrees right of target. Sounds impossible, but it's true. Somewhat unsurprisingly he then has a crazy across the line swing to try and get the ball to target.
I am not that bad.
had laser surgery but it’s worn off now so back to glasses..
imo this has had an effect.
very frustrating as I know how to aim over a spot but when I get over the ball I dought myself.
this creates an over the top swing plane and a fade or pull or push.
scratching my head a bit.
having got down to very low single figures it’s definitely harming my game.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like your club face at impact is unstable creating this plethora of shot shapes. I agree that you should be looking at grip and also your wrist action through impact.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Long story short:

In the last year my golf game have collapsed. Started 2022 as a 5-handicapper, but since then I’ve only broken 80 5 times (from approx 60-70 rounds), out of which 2 was on the same day.

Old miss up until 2022:

I don’t have anything in between a magnificent fairway splitter or a reload. It’s one or the other.

@bobmac thoughts, maybe?

what was the intention of this shot mate ? And where did it end up

D

Deleted member 25172

what was the intention of this shot mate ? And where did it end up

Just a regular iron shot to go somewhat straight. Ended up left as it was pulled.

Since this clip I’ve had lessons and been working on the range and I’m making progress with getting rid of the pull with one simple “fix”.

The pro simply told me to stop fear of having a bit of an open club face and loosen my wrists up in the backswing. And just like that, the pull disappeared almost completely. Funny game.

My driver can still not be trusted to be in the bag just yet though.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Long story short:

Old miss up until 2022:

@bobmac thoughts, maybe?

I feel your pain. Had a great year last year, and was playing fine until about two weeks ago when I started duck hooking out of nowhere. It seems completely subconsciously that my left hand has turned really strong. I have not made any intentional changes and have no idea why this happened. I’m now fighting really hard to get it back but it’s just not happening right now.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not that bad.
had laser surgery but it’s worn off now so back to glasses..
imo this has had an effect.
very frustrating as I know how to aim over a spot but when I get over the ball I dought myself.
this creates an over the top swing plane and a fade or pull or push.
scratching my head a bit.
having got down to very low single figures it’s definitely harming my game.

Just browsing a section I don't come into that often as not playing right now BUT for me what cured the doubt was not taking a look at the target once I'd picked my intermediate spot a few feet away. Just looked at that. Set the club face. Took my stance. Waggle and hit. No look to target - felt weird but worked!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just browsing a section I don't come into that often as not playing right now BUT for me what cured the doubt was not taking a look at the target once I'd picked my intermediate spot a few feet away. Just looked at that. Set the club face. Took my stance. Waggle and hit. No look to target - felt weird but worked!
Yes I have started doing this in my practice.
Does feel a bit weird but deffo works.
Just can’t stop peeking when playing ,but sure it will come.