Swearing - care required

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A recent post reminded me of something that happened last year. Two mates & I were playing in a 4BBB open, with one of the mate's mates, who the other two of us didn't know. My partner was having a nightmare off his 6 handicap & was giving voice to his frustration with words that would earn me an infraction if I repeated them.

The other guy was quite genial & we had a good chat on the way round. Going up 17 my partner asked what he did for a living. "I'm the vicar of Newbottle" he says. My partner apologised for his language but was told that our vicar had previously been a miner & had heard all the words before.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's getting rarer in this day and age that you meet someone who doesn't swear. My personal view is that getting offended at someone else's choice of words isn't logical. Every word we use had to have been invented and given a meaning at some point, and for swear words somebody decided that they were 'rude' and that people should be offended by them? It's nonsense - they're just a different collection of letters.

As long as you're not swearing AT someone - that's different. I'm talking about when people just say swearwords to themselves to vent.

D

Deleted member 18121

I was playing in a pairs match at the weekend....some good stuff, some bad.....one particular hole I hooked my ball into the water (for the 2nd time) and called myself a Richard head, as soon as I said it I apologised and that was that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A recent post reminded me of something that happened last year. Two mates & I were playing in a 4BBB open, with one of the mate's mates, who the other two of us didn't know. My partner was having a nightmare off his 6 handicap & was giving voice to his frustration with words that would earn me an infraction if I repeated them.

The other guy was quite genial & we had a good chat on the way round. Going up 17 my partner asked what he did for a living. "I'm the vicar of Newbottle" he says. My partner apologised for his language but was told that our vicar had previously been a miner & had heard all the words before.
Golf is frustrating though it's like going the match.
This is where you can vent your pent up frustration from the week.
But you must take care if playing with others who might not like it.
Dosnt bother me but does some people , it's why some guys avoid playing with certain people.
Think it's harmless really , but some are to sensitive these days.
like banned for three months , Really?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guy at our club walked into the clubhouse the other Sunday and was asked how he played. He said he drove it like a something, hit iron shots like a something, chipped like a something and putted like a something. The something was the ultimate swear word. It was at pretty top volume and there were kids around. And he then got the hump when someone picked him up on it.

Standards are dropping.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 of my 4 ball at the weekend, people who MIB knows well, swore profusely at themselves, their clubs and their balls at the weekend. It was actually very funny and no harm was done. Part of the way round one of the swearers turned to the other who was going through a rant to himself and did the "Sky apology" which they do when a pro swears. We fell about at that and then repeated it quite often afterwards when required.

Context is so often the key. I'm not a swearer, many are now and it seems to be part of life. Not a big fan in the wrong place but I don't get hung up about it.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Guy at our club walked into the clubhouse the other Sunday and was asked how he played. He said he drove it like a something, hit iron shots like a something, chipped like a something and putted like a something. The something was the ultimate swear word. It was at pretty top volume and there were kids around. And he then got the hump when someone picked him up on it.

Standards are dropping.

Unacceptable. I would've said something too.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Swearing is much more common (and widely accepted) in Germany. Even my mum swears on the golf course occasionally (always makes me chuckle, because she really does not swear in normal life). And even if someone really loses it and yells some obsentiy at the top of his lungs over the golf course (which is not that common, but does happen from time to time), I never saw anyone offended by it. Normally it is mosly cause for amusement and some good natured "oh, look, he seems to be having a worse day than I do" comments.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't mind someone swearing in the slightest (lightens the mood most times) but some do take it a bit to far at times which can become a bit embarrassing, I'm always quite mindful of the company I'm in when I'm playing with someone new, I'll usually wait for them to drop the first 'clanger' before I relax my vocabulary... :thup:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Unfortunately swearing is one of my vices. Read somewhere it is lack of knowledge of the queens language that causes us to swear. On the course all swearing is directed at myself.
Oddly enough a PP when he hits a bad shot or putt usually says " oh Nigel, or blinkin Eck Nigel". That usually gets more of a Micky take response than swearing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was brought up in a no-swearing house (other than the swearies that my father uttered in Gaelic). Simply because, I was told, it just wasn't necessary. In fact my father would also say that 'it's not what you say it's the way that you say it'

So for instance - the 1980's Jewson advert that had the punchline 'We've got the Jewson Lot' actually grated because I knew that 'Jewson' was simply a euphemism for a word that would get me an infraction.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com

Standards are dropping.

When I was 5 years old in the 1980s my dad took me to watch Leeds vs Man Utd.
The old chap behind me used every single swear word under the sun for the whole game.
I was sat literally in front of him and had turned around at one point to look at him. He acknowledged me, then carried on.

Standards are the same.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't go into a pub in Glasgow if you are offended by wee swearies (and lots of them). It's quite funny actually when you've not been in one for a good while.