Supplementary Cards

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Are a club allowed to insist that a supplementary card is only valid if played off the white (competition tees) and not the yellows even though the yellows are a measured course in their own right?

I did a bit of reading and found that one of the reasons for the supplementary system was to allow players to record a handicap from a shorter course if they regularly play those tees and the whites aren't indicative of the course they would play. This goes against the idea that a supplementary must be comp tees only...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think they can "prefer" you to play from the Whites but if you have a measured Course that has a SSS rating then they can't stop you playing from the yellows.
They don't like Supps off Yellows at my place because the SSS is the same - ok there's only 90 yards difference in length but there are a couple of tees that do change the shot you play.
If your white SSS is, say, 73 and your yellow 71 then I can't see a problem....

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are a club allowed to insist that a supplementary card is only valid if played off the white (competition tees) and not the yellows even though the yellows are a measured course in their own right?

I did a bit of reading and found that one of the reasons for the supplementary system was to allow players to record a handicap from a shorter course if they regularly play those tees and the whites aren't indicative of the course they would play. This goes against the idea that a supplementary must be comp tees only...

White or yellow, as long as it's a measured course with SSS.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Both do have the same SSS but the whites are a much more difficult set of tees. They offer no option, any supplementaries must be from the whites to be considered.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this might differ from club to club but at ours we pretty much exclusively play comps off the whites. The only exception being juniors or olders seniors in category 4 I believe.

I can understand the clubs' thinking in requesting the supps be off the whites if that's where comps are played from, but if you have qualifying competitions off the yellows then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do a card off of them also?

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
All supplementary cards at our club will be off the yellows - white tees are only to be used in competitions. My understanding was that if it was off a measured course with the SSS stated then it should be accepted.

There is a difference in the SSS for the white and yellow tees atte our place but surely the point in this is to enable someone to maintain a playing handicap - does your club also insist that your first 3 cards for handicap are off the whites?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both do have the same SSS but the whites are a much more difficult set of tees. They offer no option, any supplementaries must be from the whites to be considered.

The club is in no position to dictate that only supplementaries from white tees will be considered. CONGU makes it quite clear that players are entitled to submit supplementaries on a measured course under competition conditions. The club must accept any supplementary that meets the laid down requirements.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
white tees are only to be used in competitions.

I thought that antiquated approach had disappeared! :eek:

Some pretty pristine White Tees? Or plenty of competitions.

Re the OP. Presumably, the actual distance difference is less than that deemed to warrant a difference in SI. So maybe not as difficult off the Whites as your perception? And if all qualifying competitions are off the Whites, then a Supplementary off the Yellows could well be considered something of a distortion. Even though are playing non-comp rounds off the Yellows, the guys you are playing with/against would have had their handicap assessed off the Whites. It could also be that there was a knee-jerk reaction when Supplementaries were first introduced and it has simply stayed.

However!
Congu states 'any Measured Course' (21.3), so the Club is breaking Congu Rules by not allowing them off the Yellows! If you suggest that they might lose their authority to administer handicaps (it's a delegated authority, not a right!) I'm sure they'll change their rules!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I wouldn't want to go off the yellows with a supplementary as going off the whites in competitions is a different beast all together and as such I don't think it would be a reflection of my true handicap.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn't want to go off the yellows with a supplementary as going off the whites in competitions is a different beast all together and as such I don't think it would be a reflection of my true handicap.

Do the yellows have a different SSS though?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do the yellows have a different SSS though?

-1, 70 against 71.

There are a few holes that off the whites its a totally different ball game and personally 1 shot is neither here or there. I think getting cut off the yellows would not allow you to compete off the whites. I can only compare to the difference at my course but personally I wouldn't want my handicap based off the yellows and only get 1 more shot when in medals, it would be an up hill battle or suicide.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you submit a supplementary off the yellows and lose 0.3, it will only take 3 comps off the whites to get back to where you were!

lol-052.GIF