Struggling to justify membership anyone ? Game going downhill too?

toontiger26

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All, I live in the North and fee's have topped the £1000 mark for 2018 - struggling to justify the cost particularly as my game is struggling and could do with some help. Does anyone else pay a membership and struggling to justify the cost ? Looking to go to a club with flexible scheme to give the golfer what he wants rather than what the clubs thinks they need. I still work full time so can only play on a Saturday - 40 times this year £25+ per round. - you do the sums and I'll do the maths ! Be interested to hear if anyone else in the same boat ? Thanks

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi All, I live in the North and fee's have topped the £1000 mark for 2018 - struggling to justify the cost particularly as my game is struggling and could do with some help. Does anyone else pay a membership and struggling to justify the cost ? Looking to go to a club with flexible scheme to give the golfer what he wants rather than what the clubs thinks they need. I still work full time so can only play on a Saturday - 40 times this year £25+ per round. - you do the sums and I'll do the maths ! Be interested to hear if anyone else in the same boat ? Thanks

do you never play in the evening during summer or pop up for some practice now and again or even play when you are on holiday??

i

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yes and yes. Over and above this I play at a lot of away courses both competitively and socially in the UK & abroad. I would hate to tally up my golf only costs (without equipment lol). Our fees will top the £1000 mark this year when up for renewal on the 1st April. I cannot see me giving up playing at away courses so I am seriously considering joining a £5/600 course to maintain my handicap. I pay my fees 1 year in advance by direct debit so I will get a free year if I decide to go down this route so there would be no need for me to find a new course until April 2019.
Again having had a busy working year and having to work the occasional Saturday I do not get to play my home course as often as I should so value per round is not favourable. Very mixed bag on ability doesn't help either.
The dilemma :whistle:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Membership in and around Bradford and Leeds is probably between £600-£750 I guess, my old club Basildon do a cracking deal of full membership for £29 and month at the moment but guessing that's too far for you. How much is cleckheaton or Willow Valley?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I have had a close look at 'play more golf' previously might be worth seeing what is near you. I did make my renewal land in June which tends to put a different view on things

D

Deleted member 16999

Were do you play? There’s a few courses in the NE nowhere near that price, are there no other courses nearby?

Spoorsy

Club Champion
Visit site
Toontiger assumably you’re based in / around Newcastle, which clubs have you looked at in the area, I know parklands in gosforth are doing an 17month membership for £630!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
struggling to justify the cost particularly as my game is struggling*
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...e-Game-going-downhill-too#BTPpHRa6LQZ0vQQA.99

Firstly I don't quite understand the relevance of your game struggling to justifying the cost of membership; if there's a deeper subplot please share! However, if you mean you aren't enjoying playing then the answer is simple - stop. Take a break for a few years and, if and when you feel like it you may even return to more enjoyment as well.

Second, if you are playing 40 weekend games you aren't going to get any financial easement from a fleximembership or any of the other alternatives. That's pretty much par for the course with most flexi type arrangements being priced at closer to 15 weekend/20 midweek slots at around 1/3 of the 7 day membership cost. So if you are looking to reduce the amount you play significantly then it's probably worth pursuing this option; can't advise on individual clubs as I only know the SE ones from practical experience. You do need to make sure that course access and competition rights meet your wants and needs from such arrangements- here there can be significant differences from club to club.

Good luck

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think I played 30-ish times last year, and it'll be 40-ish times this year. And I'd say quite a number of those rounds weren't pretty. I suppose I could do the maths for cost per round but to be honest I don't care. I'm happy to have a few good shots in a round, to satisfy the golfing gods, and the craic with the guys.

But its up to you to make your own mind up either way. A question back at you though. What would you fill your new found time with and would you miss the golf and the guys?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes and yes. Over and above this I play at a lot of away courses both competitively and socially in the UK & abroad. I would hate to tally up my golf only costs (without equipment lol). Our fees will top the £1000 mark this year when up for renewal on the 1st April. I cannot see me giving up playing at away courses so I am seriously considering joining a £5/600 course to maintain my handicap. I pay my fees 1 year in advance by direct debit so I will get a free year if I decide to go down this route so there would be no need for me to find a new course until April 2019.
Again having had a busy working year and having to work the occasional Saturday I do not get to play my home course as often as I should so value per round is not favourable. Very mixed bag on ability doesn't help either.

What is Glenbervie like in the winter months Kenny?

1k is a lot for 6/7 months golf, this is the reason I moved to the coast as inland golf is just pants now in Scotland.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Tonnes of quality choice in the £600 bracket around our way Kenny

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is Glenbervie like in the winter months Kenny?

1k is a lot for 6/7 months golf, this is the reason I moved to the coast as inland golf is just pants now in Scotland.

It's actually not to bad, there are a few problem areas that get wet but course and greens are very playable. I'm just a crabbit old links golfer who stays 1hr away from the coast...

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm originally from Yorkshire, and £600 all-in seems to be the going rate for a 7-day membership on a mediocre course. The better courses will be more like £1000 per year, possibly with a £500-£1000 joining fee.

If you divide the annual subscription by the green fee, I always find that the more prestigious courses work out more cost-effective. My local mediocre course I'd have to play 40 times per year to break even. My local prestigious course works-out only 22 times per year.

I must admit, I wouldn't be a member of any club if I could only play there once a week. If I had a good group of lads to play with, I'd probably travel further afar and experience different courses.

Things I look for in a club are a decent course I enjoy, that's not crowded or closed too often, plenty of competitions, good management, and local to home. If all those boxes are ticked, then I would be happy to pay a premium rate.